inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's Best: YouTube, MySpace, or JibJab for recorded parodies?

Written By: Dee Range on 12/07/06 at 1:53 am

As an experiment, I uploaded several home-made parodies (videos) to YouTube, MySpace, and JibJab, to see which site gave better exposure for parodies. I wanted to get unbiased feedback on my work, to see if there was enough interest in them to warrant hiring a full band and a professional singer to record them and try to market them online.

The jury is still out on that, but one thing I DID learn, is that the winner, as far as exposure, for anyone's recorded material...audio or video... was JibJab for my stuff. By a landslide.

The same videos have been watched a total of:

YouTube  around 300 times

MySpace    around 100 times

JibJab      over 4,900 times

These were all uploaded about the same time. Starting last Thursday on JibJab, maybe a day or so earlier on YouTube, a day later on MySpace,

The bottom line: I would highly recommend anyone here who records their parodies, either MP3's or videos, to upload them on JibJab. They have a cool linking system that allows members to link their favorite jokes and join your 'joke club', which sends them an email when you add another 'joke'...in my case, my parodies.

They also have thousands of text jokes, photo jokes, and audio jokes, besides videos.

So come on guys and gals, everyone here who records their parodies and wants exposure for feedback, upload your mp3's and videos and be seen and heard...it can't hurt. :) ;)

Subject: Re: What's Best: YouTube, MySpace, or JibJab for recorded parodies?

Written By: Dee Range on 12/07/06 at 7:26 pm

As an experiment, I uploaded several home-made parodies (videos) to YouTube, MySpace, and JibJab, to see which site gave better exposure for parodies. I wanted to get unbiased feedback on my work, to see if there was enough interest in them to warrant hiring a full band and a professional singer to record them and try to market them online.

The jury is still out on that, but one thing I DID learn, is that the winner, as far as exposure, for anyone's recorded material...audio or video... was JibJab for my stuff. By a landslide.

The same videos have been watched a total of:

YouTube  around 300 times

MySpace    around 100 times

JibJab      over 4,900 times

These were all uploaded about the same time. Starting last Thursday on JibJab, maybe a day or so earlier on YouTube, a day later on MySpace,

The bottom line: I would highly recommend anyone here who records their parodies, either MP3's or videos, to upload them on JibJab. They have a cool linking system that allows members to link their favorite jokes and join your 'joke club', which sends them an email when you add another 'joke'...in my case, my parodies.

They also have thousands of text jokes, photo jokes, and audio jokes, besides videos.

So come on guys and gals, everyone here who records their parodies and wants exposure for feedback, upload your mp3's and videos and be seen and heard...it can't hurt. :) ;)

I guess I should have added the link to my 'public jokebox' on JibJab.com so you can see the numbers: http://www.jibjab.com/jokebox/Paul%20Wooten

10 of these are videos, and 2 are mp3 recordings that Rick Cormier did:  16 Sons, and I'm Prone Again, Drunkenly, which I just added today.

The mp3's don't get as much exposure as the videos, but Rick's recording of 16 Sons  has been heard 195 times in 7 days, whereas on MySpace, the same recording has been heard less than 75 times, and it has been up for 2 or 3 months over there.

And Rick, you should put your stand-up routine over there, and film your next gig and upload the video! :)

Written By: skittlesking on 12/09/06 at 2:03 pm

Not heard of YouTube--but it sounds like videos which I haven't done, I use SoundClick myself. . .I'm averaging about 100 listens a day between my 14 recorded parodies.

Written By: Josh2 on 12/10/06 at 7:06 pm

you've nver heard of youtube????????????????????????????????????? :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Written By: skittlesking on 12/11/06 at 11:26 am

Nope. . .I looked at it for the first time today. . .lots of videos--I've always built websites and hung out in music forums. . .never really explored outside the website forums and music forums.

Written By: skittlesking on 12/11/06 at 11:29 am

And my first submission got approved "The Meat Song" is now on AmIRight--so I guess I'm accepted.  I will submit another one tonight. . .I only want to submit one a day so I can make sure I don't mess up my own lyrics:)  I record mine too, which adds another element once I've released the lyrics to the ones I've already recorded.  Yeah, I'm on AmIRight, which means I am no longer 100% newbie!  I named myself "Below Average Dave", figured it represents the recording quality of my music.

Check for new replies or respond here...