inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A quick question

Written By: Cat on 12/09/06 at 9:46 pm

Okay, so not too long ago I was in my "place of idea generation" (those who know me know where THAT is, ahem) and I got the best idea for a parody...but then I discovered, to my dismay, that someone else had already done a similar concept. At first I just thought "Forget it," but I just couldn't let it go, I already had so many good lines that I had come up with in my head. It also has a different slant than that similar concept, and it would be through a different point of view.

You guys know I'm no plagiarist, so would it still be okay if I did it? I'd like to know before I actually start writing. Some have already done such things, like Jack Wilson did his "MILF!" to "Help!" after Red Ant had already done such a parody, but I thought I'd show a little bit of decorum and ask first in case the guy who did the original parody (although I think it was written about three years ago) doesn't pop up and accuse me of plagiarism.

Subject: Re: A quick question

Written By: skittlesking on 12/09/06 at 9:59 pm

Okay, so not too long ago I was in my "place of idea generation" (those who know me know where THAT is, ahem) and I got the best idea for a parody...but then I discovered, to my dismay, that someone else had already done a similar concept. At first I just thought "Forget it," but I just couldn't let it go, I already had so many good lines that I had come up with in my head. It also has a different slant than that similar concept, and it would be through a different point of view.

You guys know I'm no plagiarist, so would it still be okay if I did it? I'd like to know before I actually start writing. Some have already done such things, like Jack Wilson did his "MILF!" to "Help!" after Red Ant had already done such a parody, but I thought I'd show a little bit of decorum and ask first in case the guy who did the original parody (although I think it was written about three years ago) doesn't pop up and accuse me of plagiarism.

I know I'm new, and I haven't said or done much, but I just finished looking through the database--and there are several people who did similar ideas.  Titles aren't copyrighted and if your version is substantially different, I would think by all means--it's been done, and according to the FAQ is perfectly acceptable under the rules.

I love parodies, and don't care how many people have done an idea, afterall we are taking done ideas and putting our own spins on them, so why not!!! I look forward to it.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/09/06 at 10:32 pm

You guys know I'm no plagiarist, so would it still be okay if I did it?

If I have an idea that has already been done to the same OS, or my parody was inspired/is very similar to another parody on the site (to the same OS), then linking, crediting, or mentioning that parody in the opening comment is, IMHO, the best way to avoid calls of "plagiarist", "been done before" and the like.

I credited Spaff's "We Cloned Darryl Hannah"  (where's the recording, Spaff?) for my inspiration in the opening comment of my "I've Cloned Angelina."  OTOH, when I posted "Crack Whore", I had one commentor slightly irritated that I had not credited another author for the idea, even though I hadn't seen that parody (posted a day or so before mine) and mine was to a different song altogether.

So I'd say yes, it's okay if you write/post it. Crediting, in the foreword, a very similar themed/titled parody, to the same OS, especially if you already know about its existence, is always a good idea in my book.

Written By: Jack Wilson on 12/10/06 at 12:54 am

If I have an idea that has already been done to the same OS, or my parody was inspired/is very similar to another parody on the site (to the same OS), then linking, crediting, or mentioning that parody in the opening comment is, IMHO, the best way to avoid calls of "plagiarist", "been done before" and the like.

I credited Spaff's "We Cloned Darryl Hannah"  (where's the recording, Spaff?) for my inspiration in the opening comment of my "I've Cloned Angelina."  OTOH, when I posted "Crack Whore", I had one commentor slightly irritated that I had not credited another author for the idea, even though I hadn't seen that parody (posted a day or so before mine) and mine was to a different song altogether.

So I'd say yes, it's okay if you write/post it. Crediting, in the foreword, a very similar themed/titled parody, to the same OS, especially if you already know about its existence, is always a good idea in my book.

Exactly, an example is

Claude's classic "Your Mother Is Quite a Slut" I credited in my parody with the same idea,OS "Your Brother's Ex-Wife's a Slut"

Written By: Jack Wilson on 12/10/06 at 12:56 am

Cat, did my comment on "Cant Fill This Order" inspire the thread? or the MILF! one?

Written By: philbo on 12/10/06 at 9:02 am

Okay, so not too long ago I was in my "place of idea generation" (those who know me know where THAT is, ahem)

I've got one of those, too ;)

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/11/06 at 8:58 am

There's no way one could actually answer this question without the details of what you were concerned about!  ::)

Look, if you came up with it on your own, then it isn't plagiarism, George Harrison's "My Sweet He's So Fine" be damned! If you think yours can be better than the other one (and knowing your skills, it should be), then just do it.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 12/11/06 at 6:45 pm

I'm with the others on this one, Cat....if the title's the same or very similar, but the concept's different, go for it- but as a courtesy, mention/credit the original author.

I've only done one same-title parody (Don't Happy, Be Worry), but it was so different from the original parody it could in no way be branded plagiarism. I also came up with a great title- Face Oddity- and a cool opening line...and found out Johnny D had not only claimed the title, but the line as well! so that idea went in the bin......

Written By: Jack Wilson on 12/11/06 at 6:57 pm

I'm with the others on this one, Cat....if the title's the same or very similar, but the concept's different, go for it- but as a courtesy, mention/credit the original author.

I've only done one same-title parody (Don't Happy, Be Worry), but it was so different from the original parody it could in no way be branded plagiarism. I also came up with a great title- Face Oddity- and a cool opening line...and found out Johnny D had not only claimed the title, but the line as well! so that idea went in the bin......
LOL Johnny beat me to Kelp to Help, but I still did it  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...