inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anybody remember the sixties parody group "The Brothers In Law"

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/12/07 at 10:12 pm

I remember when I was growing up in the 70's that my mother had an album by a parody group called, "The Brothers In Law" It was released in the 60's and had a song on it that contained the following lyrics:

If the world population explosion
Is making you feel rather ill
The doctor has said
You can hop into bed
And put all your faith in the Pill

I think it was released somewhere around the mid sixties.
It was out of print when I first discovered it.
Does anybody remember this group, or know how to obtain a copy of the album?

Subject: Re: Does anybody remember the sixties parody group "The Brothers In Law"

Written By: skittlesking on 01/13/07 at 6:19 pm

Never heard of them, but it would be interesting to find something by them, I'll look for it now that I've heard of them--as an avid fan of parody--good luck.

Subject: Re: Does anybody remember the sixties parody group "The Brothers In Law"

Written By: skittlesking on 01/13/07 at 6:30 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/BROTHERS-IN-LAW-The-Brothers-In-Law-Strike-Again_W0QQitemZ230015002928QQcmdZViewItem

EBay  has their sophomore album

Still looking for the others.

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/15/07 at 2:26 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/BROTHERS-IN-LAW-The-Brothers-In-Law-Strike-Again_W0QQitemZ230015002928QQcmdZViewItem

EBay  has their sophomore album

Still looking for the others.

Right group, wrong album, but I thank you for your effort anyways.

Written By: phyllis on 12/12/11 at 2:28 pm

I remember when I was growing up in the 70's that my mother had an album by a parody group called, "The Brothers In Law" It was released in the 60's and had a song on it that contained the following lyrics:

If the world population explosion
The doctor has said
You can hop into bed
And put all your faith in the Pill

I think it was released somewhere around the mid sixties.
It was out of print when I first discovered it.
Does anybody remember this group, or know how to obtain a copy of the album?

My parents have a copy of this album the song you are referring to is:

Put All Your Faith In The Pill   
The Bothers-in-law

The world population explosion
The doctors have said
You can hop into bed
And put all your faith in the pill

So put all your faith in the pill
Put all your faith in the pill
The Doctors have said
You can hop into bed

The pill is a birth control method
It's the best one developed to date
You get somebody's daughter
To take one in water
There's no mess and no time to wait.

The Doctors have said
You can hop into bed

It's been proven and tried by the Russians
The Chinese now make them at home
And it may not be true,
But word has leaked through
They are now being tested in Rome. (oh oh)

The Doctors have said
You can hop into bed

So throw out your old fashioned methods
As you joyfully leap into bed
You can take your saran wrap
Back into the kitchen
And use it for cooking instead

The Doctors have said
You can hop into bed

So here's to the boys in the back room
The chemists whose faith will not die
For they're working there still.
On a birth control pill
That's fifty percent Spanish Fly!

So put all your faith in the pill -- Mom!
Put all your faith in the pill -- Dad!
The Doctors have said
You can hop into bed
And put all your faith in the pill -- tonight!

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/14/11 at 11:52 pm

Put All Your Faith In The Pill    
The Bothers-in-law

You there!

Register here!

We're in desperate need of people who are willing to spend the time to dig up stuff like that!

But even if you don't, thanks.  That little song is a fascinating snapshot of culture that captures the issues that Paul Erlich was worried about when he wrote 1968's The Population Bomb, and the social ramifications posed by oral contraceptives as the first effective means of birth control - in 1960, when introduced, nobody was entirely convinced that it actually worked.

The 60s were before my time, but to put "the pill" in perspective for people for whom the 60s are ancient history, imagine what would happen if someone invented with a pair of vaccines that protected against both AIDS and herpes.  People would be doing it in the street.

Written By: Alec Somerville on 07/24/12 at 6:52 pm

I wrote this as a poem in 1963 and gave it to a Doctor who was going out to Vancouver (from Ontario, Canada) to address a family planning seminar - I kept a copy and a bit later when I was starting to form the Brothers in Law folk group, Howard Duffy put a tune together for it and we recorded it with Arc Sound, Toronto on the LP 'Oh, Oh, Canada' which eventually sold over 275,000 not bad for Canada with 20million people! Helped get me out of a mortgage. We went on and recorded 6 LP's which I wrote all the lyrics for and a lot of the music - if you like my stiff and hang around yard sales - look for 'The Brothers in Law Strike Again'. 'Exposé 67' 'Onward the Establishment' 'The Pill' (a US release) amnd a reprise Oh,Oh,Canada, Eh?'  also a solo LP by me 'Total Nudity' this last in 1969 and the end of it...  Some albums are on a 3box set of CD by Unidisc Music, The Brothers in Law Vols I, II, and III covers 6 LP's.
I am 82yrs old, alive, and living in Ireland. Thanks for remembering the Gospel According to Me.
Alec Somerville

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/25/12 at 9:43 pm

I wrote this as a poem in 1963 and gave it to a Doctor who was going out to Vancouver (from Ontario, Canada) to address a family planning seminar - I kept a copy and a bit later when I was starting to form the Brothers in Law folk group, Howard Duffy put a tune together for it and we recorded it with Arc Sound, Toronto on the LP 'Oh, Oh, Canada' which eventually sold over 275,000 not bad for Canada with 20million people! Helped get me out of a mortgage. We went on and recorded 6 LP's which I wrote all the lyrics for and a lot of the music - if you like my stiff and hang around yard sales - look for 'The Brothers in Law Strike Again'. 'Exposé 67' 'Onward the Establishment' 'The Pill' (a US release) amnd a reprise Oh,Oh,Canada, Eh?'  also a solo LP by me 'Total Nudity' this last in 1969 and the end of it...  Some albums are on a 3box set of CD by Unidisc Music, The Brothers in Law Vols I, II, and III covers 6 LP's.

*blink*

Small world!  Once upon a time, I was within broadcast range of Toronto, and that's probably where I heard it.  And now I have to find Oh! Oh! Canada. Because a glance at those track titles indicates much hilarity.

/goes and digs a bit...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Z4nOnbB05Y0/TnPTfa64LiI/AAAAAAAAQEk/7u8gqvVBnoQ/s1600/Brothers-In-Law+-+Oh+Oh+Canada+Back.jpg

No, the Brothers-in-Law are not forgotten.  For the benefit of future searchers, here's the back cover:

"Nothing makes life more interesting than the mere mention of the words "scandal", "spicy", "Escapade" or "Communist". In the last few years it seems that such words have been in almost constant use in our Canadian newspapers. Remember the uproar when the RCMP investigated the universities and the Navy? Despite the fact that the RCMP is one of the finest, most respected and admired police forces in the world, their seemingly over zealousness in recent hears has brought loud cries of "witch hunters" and "McCarthyism" from coast to coast.

Thousands of years ago, when writing tools were unknown, the events of the day were either recorded in story form or put into song by the local minstreal. This latter form of story telling has persisted through the ages, as witness the many acncient ballads that have been handed down from generation to generation, and since the invention of the phonograph the minstrels have really come into their own. The Brothers-in-Law are simply modern day minstrals and in this album they have set to song some of the contentious events of recent years in Canada.

The pun in their name is purely intentional as the boys are really brothers-in-law in the true sense of the word. They are all highly respected members of the Sandwich West Township Police Force, near Windsor, Ontario. Howard Duffy (Guitar), is an ex-Torontonian and no doubt had a hand in the lyrics of Foxy. Larry Reaume is a Windsorite and also plays guitar. The bass is handled by Ken. Clarke, another Windsorite, and Alex Somerville, who was born in England, performs with equal aplomb on the banjo. The group made their debut at a Police Association banquet (where else?) and since then have been in great demand both in Canada and the United States. They perform in varied locations ranging from Detroit coffee houses to radio and TV appearances.

Regarding the satirical and hilarious routines on this, their first album. "Rally Around the New Flag", is, of course, self descriptive, but the boys have really gone to town on the lyrics and the whole thing adds up to one of the most hilarious songs ever written in, or about, Canada. "A Very Conservative Man" is a song about just such a personality and we leave the rest to your imagination. "The R.C.M.P." is a descriptive tongue-in-cheek dissertation on the Mounties over-zealous witch-hunting activities in the universities and elsewhere. The biggest scandal of recent times was, of course, the Hal Banks fiasco, and the boys have done him full justice.

Side two kicks off with a rousing version of what the boys of the FLQ would like to do if they had the chance. "OH! How the Money Rolls In", is absolutely pure satire and smacks of many recent scandals. "Foxy", is a delightful poke in the ribs for "Toronto the Good", and is a stern warning to all out-of-town visitors who might be on the look-out for entertainment. Last, and most certainly not least, is a very descriptive piece of material simply entitled "The Pill". What, which and how, we will not say. The title is perfect and we leave it to you to pass comment.

CAUTION:

RADIO STATION MANAGERS! If you do not want your radio station turned into a parking lot over night, make sure that your staff do NOT play the following on the air! OH! HOW THE MONEY ROLLS IN, FOXY, and (naturally) THE PILL."

- Back Cover, The Brothers-In-Law, Oh! Oh! Canada!

You might also want to get in touch with producer73 on YouTube, who's been looking for more about you guys!

CGm2PhICxiE

- Brothers-In-Law, Canada, USA, from The Brothers-In-Law Strike Again.

Right now I am listening to that and seriously grinning like a little kid again.

I am 82yrs old, alive, and living in Ireland. Thanks for remembering the Gospel According to Me.
Alec Somerville

And thank you (and your friends!) for the music, and the laughs.

Check for new replies or respond here...