inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Overcoming Writer's Block

Written By: Red Ant on 01/14/07 at 11:22 pm

I sent these ideas to Stu earlier today, but IMHO they're good enough to share.

~~Overcoming Writer's Block~~

1) Listen to LOTS of music. If you aren't listening to music, chances are your idea well will dry up.

2) Reading parodies/making comments on AmiRight has given me a fair number of ideas before.

3) IMHO it's better to post a "non-masterpiece" than to wait for the "perfect idea" to hit you. Perfect title subs and/or super-original ideas are hard to come by, and while I cringe at the thought of posting something "less than awesome", a few positive comments usually gets me in the mindset to write something really good again.

4) If I get more than about 5 hours into a piece and run into a major hard spot, leave it and come back later. Forcing ideas usually results in more writer's block for me.

5) Parody a short, easy song that doesn't require much effort. Not everything has to be a potential SOTY candidate.

As for me: aside from editing and voting contest parodies, I'll be taking a bit of time off from the site. Two of my close friends died Saturday, and I'm not really in the mood for writing right now.

Subject: Re: Overcoming Writer's Block

Written By: skittlesking on 01/14/07 at 11:58 pm

Red Ant, my condolences  :\'(  My thoughts are with you and I can only put into words so much, explaining loss or apologizing doesn't do much, but for what it's worth--they are in a better place. . . :-\\

I will see you when you return. . .working on a few projects to improve our visibility

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/15/07 at 2:37 am

Two of my close friends died Saturday, and I'm not really in the mood for writing right now.

I am so sorry about your friends. It kinda makes a parodist want to stop writing comedy for a while. Let your heart heal, then write a tribute song to your buddies. Write something that you know that they would laugh like crazy at. This might help the healing process, although I realize it is hard to think about so soon after such a tragedy occurs. Wait until you can smile again, then try it. My condolences go out to you and their families. Take care.

Written By: Step-chan on 01/16/07 at 6:48 pm

Hope you feel better soon, Red! :(

Check for new replies or respond here...