inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's up with the symbols

Written By: Matthias on 01/16/07 at 1:42 pm

Chucky, Why do many of the songs have symbols like i1/2, or a Chinese character instead of the proper puncuation that we put there?

Subject: Re: What's up with the symbols

Written By: EthanM on 01/16/07 at 2:02 pm

I think certain programs aren't compatible for cutting and pasting parodies typed in them to the amiright submission form, so apostrophes end up looking like something else.

Written By: EthanM on 01/16/07 at 3:37 pm

I looked more and this is worse than usual...if anyone wants to see a symbol-free parody, I submitted one that's up today.

Written By: Meriadoc on 01/16/07 at 7:45 pm

If you use MSWord, you should paste your parody into a text-based program like Notepad, and then retype any ellipses or left handed parentheses before copying it to paste into the Amiright submisson form. Those are the biggest culprits. I missed a set of ellipses last night and ended up with one 1/2 symbol... :-(

Written By: nally on 01/17/07 at 12:39 am

...All the more reason I think Notepad is the best. With MS Word, it gives you smartquotes and all kinds of extended ascii characters. Someday when I get up the nerve to enter a parody, I'll use Notepad.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/17/07 at 8:50 am

This is a Microsoft issue.  I wrote filters that worked on the old server for catching this crap, and it appears the new server isn't setup quite the same, so I needed to expand the filters further.  I modified the master parody database to remove the characters from the quizzes submitted over the past four days, and uodated the filter and tested them to the best of my ability. 

It would help if you reposted a parody that showed up with all the crap in it, so that I can make sure I removed the garbage this time around.

Written By: Matthias on 01/17/07 at 10:05 am

The i1/2's are gone but there's still a lot of …'s throughout everybody's parodies
If there's another code that you need to add Chucky please add it, but I want to thank you for getting rid of the i1/2's
And Thanks for all the rest of your help

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/17/07 at 10:52 am

The i1/2's are gone but there's still a lot of …'s throughout everybody's parodies
If there's another code that you need to add Chucky please add it, but I want to thank you for getting rid of the i1/2's
And Thanks for all the rest of your help

I've removed them, and I'll regenerate the parodies to purge them.  Looks like a tab or something, I need to see one that was submitted with that, submitted again, or emailed to me, etc. so I can try and filter it.  I don't know what the … was before it got filtered.

Check for new replies or respond here...