inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I wish I thought of this before...

Written By: Jason on 01/18/07 at 1:10 pm

Dear ChuckyG and all

Something just came to mind which I wish came before Christmas! I was thinking, if it's possible to do a Band-Aid style parody (A collabaration of all the established authors such as Paul Robertson, Michael Pacholek, Kristof Robertson and Agrimorfee to name but a few). I would love to participate in a group-writing parody competition. Sorry I haven't been on the website for a while, im just always busy with work and all that. What do you think of this idea?

Subject: Re: I wish I thought of this before...

Written By: Step-chan on 01/18/07 at 1:39 pm

Interesting... don't know how to make it work though....

Written By: EthanM on 01/18/07 at 1:53 pm

There have been plenty of collaborative parodies before, but never a group competition. I'm not sure how/if it could work, either.

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/18/07 at 3:56 pm

Dear ChuckyG and all

Something just came to mind which I wish came before Christmas! I was thinking, if it's possible to do a Band-Aid style parody (A collabaration of all the established authors such as Paul Robertson, Michael Pacholek, Kristof Robertson and Agrimorfee to name but a few). I would love to participate in a group-writing parody competition. Sorry I haven't been on the website for a while, im just always busy with work and all that. What do you think of this idea?

Do you mean a contest or just a fun free-for-all? I don't think a "group parody" writing contest would be of enough interest for many here. Just IMHO.

(I am honored, btw, to be so mentioned in the above paragraph... 8))

Written By: Matthias on 01/18/07 at 4:33 pm

Red Ant did this when he had people writing, "Turn It Off" to the parody of Gwen Stefani's "Wind It Up"

Written By: skittlesking on 01/18/07 at 4:57 pm

I think that a competition on it might be less fun than just doing it now and then.  I also think that at some point some of the artists who like to record should get together and record a joint project--that would be something new and would be a great way to show our unity as a community of Parodists. . .

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/18/07 at 5:12 pm

I think that a competition on it might be less fun than just doing it now and then.  I also think that at some point some of the artists who like to record should get together and record a joint project--that would be something new and would be a great way to show our unity as a community of Parodists. . .

For those with recording capabilities, it would be great. But, sadly, I have been without that since 2002. :-[

Written By: skittlesking on 01/18/07 at 5:20 pm

Agimorefree, if I may ask, what happened. . .and I guess more importantly, what can I do to plug you back in?

Written By: Meriadoc on 01/18/07 at 11:25 pm

For those with recording capabilities, it would be great. But, sadly, I have been without that since 2002. :-[

Agri, all we used was some karaoke on cassette tapes and a microphone plugged into the PC and Soundforge. It certainly does not sound professional, but it was do-able and fun! Give ti a try!

Written By: Jason on 01/19/07 at 6:13 am

Sorry I should have made it clearer what I was on about. I didn't mean a 'group competition' such as Agrimorfee/Paul Robertson/Michael Pacholek vs Red Ant/Phil Alexander/Lionel Mertens!

I meant that all the established parody authors on this site unite together and write a parody in the style of "Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas". Perhaps when this Christmas comes round, we could all do a parody of the said Christmas song!

Written By: karen on 01/19/07 at 6:23 am

I meant that all the established parody authors on this site unite together and write a parody in the style of "Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas". Perhaps when this Christmas comes round, we could all do a parody of the said Christmas song!

Like this?  :)

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/19/07 at 7:48 am

Yeah, that was the point I was going to lead up to. Band Aid had been done, and an attempt was made to do a followup last December, but no one could agree on the tune to use.

There's just not that many group-writeable songs out there like there used to be.  ;)

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 01/19/07 at 10:05 am

Just to let you know, david, that there was an attempt to do a group recording last year with Rick Cormier taking the lead on the project. It never came to fruition (don't really know why...) and then Rick left to pursue his stand-up career. I, however, would love to have another go at it.

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/19/07 at 4:37 pm

Hey Chucky G, if you're reading this, then how about this idea. A song contest is a wonderful idea, but what if we don't go with a cover parody at all? You set forth a theme for an original parody, and have us writers send in some original lyrics to be put to music. I'll get to that part in a minute. A page could be opened up to display these original lyrics, and they could be voted on by the amiright parodists ourselves. Set a limit of how many verses will be selected for the final draft of the song, syllable limit per line, and a time limit on the voting. After that, a new contest begins for the parodists who have access to recording facilities, who can write the music  and are capable of displaying their musical work online. Then we all vote on the original music track. I don't know how much work would be involved in such a project, but it couldn't hurt to self promote this website as the treasure it is. There are a lot of brilliant parodists who frequent this site daily, and I think it would be a way to let their talent shine through. The combined writers of the verses, along with the music writer(s) could share in the songwriting credit. If we can do what we do for other people's OS's, an OS for this site just might be the free advertising that is needed to expand to the masses. Weird Al would either be horrified or proud. Either way, I'll leave the details to you. It's just an idea.

Written By: EthanM on 01/19/07 at 6:02 pm

If it's all original, then how is it a parody? Wouldn't it just be a song?

Written By: skittlesking on 01/19/07 at 9:31 pm

Just to let you know, david, that there was an attempt to do a group recording last year with Rick Cormier taking the lead on the project. It never came to fruition (don't really know why...) and then Rick left to pursue his stand-up career. I, however, would love to have another go at it.

Well Kristof, I think I'd be glad to get the ball rolling on another project of this nature. . .I guess the first question is who all has recording capabilities here. . .so we get a list of who will take part on this one. . .

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/20/07 at 10:11 am

If it's all original, then how is it a parody? Wouldn't it just be a song?

True, a parody is often a humorous take on someone elses work, but not always. Back in the 60's and 70's, original parodies were often popping up like Monster Mash, Guitarzan, Saturday Morning Confusion, etc..., and were often referred to as Novelty Songs back then. The one thing that they all had in common was that they were designed to make us laugh. Even Weird Al often puts original comedy songs on his albums. I just think that in order to avoid giving Chucky a headache with all of the differing opinions over which song to be used, we could all submit verses for an original number. Chucky would set forth the theme, and in order to ensure continuity, set a syllable count per line, a limit to how many lines there are per verse, and so forth. After a set time limit for entries, then the lyrics are voted on by the amiright parodists. Maybe the most popular verse could serve as the chorus, as a reward for the writer who created it. That way, nobody can get steamed at Chucky for not using their verses, as WE are the ones voting. It would keep everyone on top of their game, and no one person would decide the outcome. A lot of parodists who submit parodies to amiright are very talented at making us laugh with words put to the tunes of others. This would be an excellent opportunity to put all of that wit to the test in an original setting, under a common theme. After the lyric phase, then the musicians in our midst with access to home studios, along with the ability to display their work on line, could then submit original music tracks set to the lyrics. These would be voted on also. The final outcome could be, in my opinion, a great way for Chucky to get more exposure for this website, and maybe open up the door for actual success for the parodists themselves. Ya gotta admit, it's like Weird Al has a deal with the devil, as he is the only successful parodist around these days, that I can think of anyways.

As I said. It's only an idea. Any other opinions?

Written By: EthanM on 01/20/07 at 12:13 pm

I do think it's a good idea, I just don't consider original comedy songs to be parodies. If someone wants to write original music for me, I'd certainly try to write lyris to that music.

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/22/07 at 9:59 am

True, a parody is often a humorous take on someone elses work, but not always. Back in the 60's and 70's, original parodies were often popping up like Monster Mash, Guitarzan, Saturday Morning Confusion, etc..., and were often referred to as Novelty Songs back then. The one thing that they all had in common was that they were designed to make us laugh....As I said. It's only an idea. Any other opinions?

Parodies and Novelty Songs, while striving for the same goal, aren't one and the same.  Parodies are a type of Novelty Song, and by definition ARE a humorous take on someone else's work.

It's nice to create a song, and I wouldn't mind being a part of a group collaboration, but Original Songs is not what this forum is about.

Check for new replies or respond here...