inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Opinions for new sites

Written By: skittlesking on 01/22/07 at 2:36 pm

Looking for some opinions on my new website in development. . .

The site will be about Recording Parodies and will focus mostly on AmIRight and Soundclick, while having space for YouTube, JibJab, Garageband and others. . .It will feature helpful advice on how to record parodies and links to other sites (like this one) that help.  AmIRight lyrics for parodies are so massive, that rather than creating a new one, I will link to this site for song parody lyrics & contests. . .well except for recording contests if it becomes viable.  I want the site to be open & well tied to AmIRight, and to make good use of Soundclick.com's Station Feature. . .

Obviously I will want people to be able to search for a parody recording by artist name and by parodist, but I was thinking of making a parody genre category also. . .IE

Pizza Night, Chubilicious, Crazy for Chips and other such songs could be grouped together as "Weight/Food Parodies"

I want to have 19 categories (with 1 unclassified to make 20)

I've come up with these so far
1. Weight/Food
2. Toilet Humor
3. Hygiene & Cleanliness
4. Paranoia & Obsession
5. Violent & Horror
6. Lifestyles & Sexuality
7. Celebrities
8. Career/Employment
9. Break Up Songs
10. Internet & Technology
11. Seasonal (Christmas/Halloween/Etc)
12. Financial & Gambling
13. Politics & Current Events
14. Religious
15. Sports **Thank you Ethan
16. Educational & History **Thank you Ethan
17. Mockery **Thank you Ethan
18. Sci-Fi & Filk **Thank you Ethan
19. Television & Movies **Thank you Matthias
20. Books & Literature **Thank you Matthias
21. Toys and Games **Thank you Matthias
22. Cartoons/ Comics **Thank you Matthias
23. Animals **Thank you Matthias
24. Travel & Vacation **Thank you Ethan
25. Self Deprecation **Thank you Agimorfee
26. Surrealism & Fantasy **Thank you Agimorfee
27. Tobacco, Drugs & Alcohol **Thank you Anonymous
28. Unclassified Parodies

This site will be published soon and I want it to be very good. . .I want to encourage Parody Recording the way AmIRight encourages Writing.  I want to someday have the Recording section half as active as the writing section.  I hope that maybe someday we can have contests on recording just like we do in writing. . .maybe not as many or as frequent but yes contests.  That is what this site will strive for, Parody Recordings. . .and it will be dedicated to that purpose and the station I built for AmIRight artists. . .Any opinions or question on ANY aspects of the site.

Subject: Re: Opinions for new sites

Written By: EthanM on 01/22/07 at 3:10 pm

I'd dump #7 and add these 5

Sports
Educational
Parodies specifically satirizing the original song/artist (like Smells like Nirvana, Achy Breaky Song)
Filk (based on stories, especially sci-fi)
General celebrity bashing

Written By: skittlesking on 01/22/07 at 4:09 pm

I'd dump #7 and add these 5

Sports
Educational
Parodies specifically satirizing the original song/artist (like Smells like Nirvana, Achy Breaky Song)
Filk (based on stories, especially sci-fi)
General celebrity bashing

Sports, Educational, Mockery (which would encompass your third entry)--I can't believe I left those out. . .

As for Filk and Celebrity Bashing. . .
Filk, hmm. . . I have to think about that one as it is a very rare word--that's fine for the actual parodies but for the categories. . .I like what it means and represents though. . .let me think on that one

Think I'll have more than 20 categories, 20 minimum, but it just has to be even. . .

General Celebrity Bashing is kinda what I meant with 7, but to encompas fictional characters as well, plus it allows people to be positive or negative towards characters, perhaps Celebrities & Fictional Characters?

Written By: Matthias on 01/22/07 at 4:14 pm

Television
Movies
Books
Toys and Games
Cartoons/ Comics
Animals
History

Can't forget these

Written By: skittlesking on 01/22/07 at 4:15 pm

Oooh. . .Instead of Filk. . .how about Sci/Fi & Filk

Also reminded me (Television, Books, etc) that I need to include Video Games.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/22/07 at 4:16 pm

Television
Movies
Books
Toys and Games
Cartoons/ Comics
Animals
History

Can't forget these

Animals, oh my goodness. . .That's a big one. . .all of these are being added pronto

Written By: EthanM on 01/22/07 at 4:46 pm

How about travel? (trains, planes & automobiles as well as vacations) I'm going to submit one today that fits that category.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/22/07 at 11:03 pm

Travel & Vacation added, I also figured we need one for Self Insult

Written By: skittlesking on 01/22/07 at 11:04 pm

The site is now reserved as "badave.com" It is under construction, but I build quickly.  Generally use PHP, so it may take a little while as I do build scripts.  I think it will be worth it though.

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/23/07 at 10:27 am

I also figured we need one for Self Insult

Self Deprecation would be the better term, although part of me thinks that's a dumb thing for me to suggest.  ( ;))

Doesn't/couldn't the category of Books cover Fictional Characters (thereby redesigning Category #7)?

edit: I can't remember ever reading a Category #3 besides my "Funky R.D."...could someone post more examples?

Edit: Surrealism would/should be a good category (or do you want that to be Unclassifiable?). And what about Tributes to Parody Writers?

Written By: EthanM on 01/23/07 at 12:09 pm

I think tributes to other writers generally are too clique-y to be recorded, but if one is really good then it can be "other".

Written By: skittlesking on 01/23/07 at 4:22 pm

Self Deprecation would be the better term, although part of me thinks that's a dumb thing for me to suggest.  ( ;))

Doesn't/couldn't the category of Books cover Fictional Characters (thereby redesigning Category #7)?

edit: I can't remember ever reading a Category #3 besides my "Funky R.D."...could someone post more examples?

Edit: Surrealism would/should be a good category (or do you want that to be Unclassifiable?). And what about Tributes to Parody Writers?

Agreed on Self Depreciation
Surrealism was added because it keeps the number even with someone emailing me suggesting a category for Tobacco & Alcohol (I figured Drugs is of the same nature)

Category 3:  Actually, I've written a few that fit here also (Lazy, The Shaving Song, Jock Itch) and it's a rather subtle, but common, choice of parody topics.

As for parody writer tributes, as Ethan said, while common to write, I've not seen one recorded.  So, at least at the moment, I'll make that "Unclassified", however if there are enough of them to warrant their own category I deffinitely will consider it.  Similarly, I figured there are a number of parodies about Sexuality in the sense of gay/straight etc  and that there are also a number about actual sexuality, thus encompassing both to make the category a little larger.  There are several that are clumped right now, but I figure it's better that way until we see which categories become larger and need to be further divided.

Written By: EthanM on 01/23/07 at 4:44 pm

My current "hit" recording probably fits better in category #3 than anywhere else.

Written By: Matthias on 01/23/07 at 5:04 pm

Wouldn't "Video Games" hit under the same section as "Toys and Games"

Written By: skittlesking on 01/23/07 at 5:25 pm

Wouldn't "Video Games" hit under the same section as "Toys and Games"

Yes & actually I think I'm going to combine a couple other categories. . .

Written By: skittlesking on 01/23/07 at 7:02 pm

badave.com is underway with the general appearance of the site already being designed  (1 out of 15 steps in my building)

The site is being built entirely in PHP to allow quick updating of the site for monitors and is scheduled to open 2/1/2007 at the moment, although the site will begin accepting submissions as soon as I get Step 2 up and running (The Recordings Section--the Meat of the Site so to speak). . .I'm excited. . .the site will be just as Below Average as I am!!!

Written By: skittlesking on 01/24/07 at 4:07 pm

Just so you know, I've chosen to go forward with the list above as mentioned. . .I've completed step 2 of 15, which was the most important step---the recording section. . .the next section will be less time consuming as it is very similar to Step 2. . .2 down 13 to go till badave.com is complete.  Feburary 1st is the Grand Opening date!

Written By: EthanM on 01/24/07 at 4:33 pm

Is it too late to start thinking about changing the name? To an outsider, the site name looks like bad avenue

Written By: skittlesking on 01/24/07 at 4:35 pm

Yeah, it's paid for already, but in search engines it will show up under it's full name. . .curiousity will certainly factor in the popularity of the site.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/24/07 at 10:00 pm

Section 3, Music Videos, Complete. . .although I'm sure it will be empty for much longer than the recordings.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/24/07 at 10:36 pm

Moving right along, section 4--stations--is done. . .hosted on Soundclick of course.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/26/07 at 12:10 am

5 of 15 done, I've built the messageboard. . .pluggin away
:o

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/26/07 at 8:14 am

I took a look, keep up the good work!

(Wish I could say I had access to recording equipment, I'd be contributing left and right! :-[  . I've got a few of my parodies recorded on cassettes--from at least 15 years ago!--but no capabilities to send it off)

Written By: skittlesking on 01/26/07 at 11:22 am

Thank you. . .someday soon though my friend we are going to find a way to get your recording. . .even if it means buying you a mic and having you send them here so I can finish them for you.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/26/07 at 10:06 pm

6 of 15 completed--Links done. . .also sped through 7 and 8, so on to the 9th section

Written By: Meriadoc on 01/27/07 at 12:21 am

I think Animals should be updated to "Flora and Fauna" - that way it will cover all nature-related parodies.

For a good list of parody catagories without them getting too unweildy, check out our site at www.merryandpippin.com

Written By: EthanM on 01/27/07 at 11:20 am

"Admits to liking 'Milkshake' by Kelis"

You're welcome

Written By: Meriadoc on 01/27/07 at 7:46 pm

You need a catogory for "Historical Parodies"

Written By: skittlesking on 01/27/07 at 8:20 pm

Historical is covered by Educational. . .on the site it is actually listed as Educational & History. . .

as for Floral and Fauna. . .I may play with the name a bit, you certainly are right about the missing of nature as a whole, including only animals.  I will work on that one.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/29/07 at 1:05 am

Site is up and running, it won't officially open or post parodies until the 1st of next month which is Thursday, however any recording artist who wants to be on the front page on the opening day may want to submit now.  I will only approve 20 songs a day max (although I doubt especially at first that 20 a day will be an issue) and to make it fair, no artist will get more than one song approved per day, however I created a visible que line so that you can see where your song sits in que.  That way you can submit all your recorded parodies quickly and efficently, and check on their spot in line anytime. 

http://www.badave.com

There will be some fine tuning, and I AM looking for opinions.  The site is in PHP so it is all hand scripted by myself.  I will be adding a comment feature, but because none have been approved yet obviously it wasn't necessary yet.  Also, the store is very little right now because it was not a focus feature.  The board will be getting small face lifts almost daily from opening day on.  But for all intensive purposes the forms are all working properly and are in tact.

Check for new replies or respond here...