inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I've been cast as Major General Stanley in "The Pirates of Penzance"

Written By: Johnny_D on 01/28/07 at 8:35 pm

I've been cast as Major General Stanley in The Friends Of The Performing Arts In Concord's (FOPAC's) March 17, 2007 concert performance of Gilbert and Sullivan's "Pirates of Penzance". 

The performance is a fundraiser to help pay for the extensive stage renovations at FOPAC's 51 Walden Street facility.

This will be my FIRST attempt ever at performing Gilbert and Sullivan!  The show will be performed only once, on Saturday, 3/17/07, at 51 Walden Street in Concord (The Concord Players' theater).  The show is a collaboration of The Concord Orchestra, The Concord Band, and The Concord Players.  I believe we will have the equivalent of a full symphony orchestra.  Principal characters and soloists, yours truly among them, will be in costume.

For more information:

http://www.51walden.org/

http://concordplayers.org/

Subject: Re: I've been cast as Major General Stanley in "The Pirates of Penzance"

Written By: Red Ant on 01/28/07 at 8:49 pm

I'm excited for you, Johnny D!

Please try to post a recording if you can: I'd love love LOVE to hear you doing the Major-General's song!

Subject: Re: I've been cast as Major General Stanley in "The Pirates of Penzance"

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/28/07 at 9:16 pm

I've been cast as Major General Stanley

Sweet! Life imitating art.

I dare you, when the big scene arrives, to bust out a parody. Make that a double-dog dare.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: skittlesking on 01/28/07 at 9:32 pm

Congratulations and Honors to you Johnny D. . .hope you blow them away.  (tired of the whole break a leg line)

Written By: Johnny_D on 01/29/07 at 12:29 am

I'm excited for you, Johnny D!

Please try to post a recording if you can: I'd love love LOVE to hear you doing the Major-General's song!

Thanks, Red Ant!  Gilbert and Sullivan is in the public domain, so I suspect there might be a recording or two floating around afterwards, heh heh heh ...  ;)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 01/29/07 at 12:32 am

I've been cast as Major General Stanley

perfect casting = JD as a major-general

because you are the very model of one :)

Written By: Johnny_D on 01/29/07 at 12:34 am

I dare you, when the big scene arrives, to bust out a parody. Make that a double-dog dare.

xoxox
Spaff

Thanks, Spaff!

Perhaps I might take you up on a modified version of your dare by busting out in a parody AT THE CAST PARTY !!   ;D

There are so many EXCELLENT parodies of The Major General's Song posted on AmIRight that I might print some and bring 'em along to the cast party ... giving the original parody author(s) full credit, of course!   ;D

Written By: Johnny_D on 01/29/07 at 12:36 am

Congratulations and Honors to you Johnny D. . .hope you blow them away.  (tired of the whole break a leg line)

Thanks, k-david!  ;D

Written By: Johnny_D on 01/29/07 at 12:52 am

perfect casting = JD as a major-general

because you are the very model of one :)

Thanks, Stu!  Oh-oh ... feel ... a ... mini-parody coming on ... must ... resist ... must ... resist ... ARRRRGGGHHH

I sniff a scary model-maker's model airplane-making-glue
I love the way the fume an' spray inspire me to write like Stu
Although it stings your sinuses and nose and is not good for you
It's so much fun I want to do it 'til my brain is Prussian Blue

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 01/29/07 at 5:54 am

I sniff a scary model-maker's model airplane-making-glue
I love the way the fume an' spray inspire me to write like Stu
Although it stings your sinuses and nose and is not good for you
It's so much fun I want to do it 'til my brain is Prussian Blue

He says it's so much fun he'll do it til his brain is Prussian Blue
though I might claim that JD's brain does not need more things rushin' through
the things already rushin' leave me gushin' (sometimes blushin' too)

Written By: Rex on 01/29/07 at 6:51 am

Awesome! I'd like to add to Spaff's dare -- don't just bust out into parody, but don't stop until you've sung every Major-General parody on AmIRight!

And congratulations also on your role in the Louis Brandeis special - when will it air?

Written By: Johnny_D on 01/29/07 at 8:07 am

Awesome! I'd like to add to Spaff's dare -- don't just bust out into parody, but don't stop until you've sung every Major-General parody on AmIRight!

And congratulations also on your role in the Louis Brandeis special - when will it air?

Thanks, Rex!  The Brandeis documentary will air on PBS in the spring --- probably April and/or May --- of 2007.

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/29/07 at 8:39 am

Congrats Johnny! Limber up your lips for that solo...Spaff was thinking the same thing I was thinking!  ;D

Written By: Matthias on 01/29/07 at 3:40 pm

Belt it up there buddy!!!

Written By: Jack Wilson on 01/29/07 at 9:14 pm

xoxox
Spaff
Make it TRIPLE DOG from me!  ;D

Written By: Johnny_D on 01/30/07 at 9:40 am

Congrats Johnny! Limber up your lips for that solo...Spaff was thinking the same thing I was thinking!  ;D

Heh heh, thanks, Agri! 

Written By: Johnny_D on 01/30/07 at 9:41 am

Belt it up there buddy!!!

Aye-aye, Major General Matthias, sir!  ;D

Written By: Johnny_D on 01/30/07 at 9:47 am

Make it TRIPLE DOG from me!  ;D

http://frank.hofer.us/pictures/dogs/dogs012003/dcp_0406.jpg

THANK YOUUUUUU, AH-WOOO! WOOF!  ;D  WOOF!  ;D  WOOF!  ;D

Written By: Johnny_D on 02/01/07 at 3:34 pm

The cast list has been posted:

http://www.concordplayers.org/00productions/Pirates%20of%20Penzance%20(concert)/PiratesPenzance.html

Check for new replies or respond here...