inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: AmiRight song parodies being quoted in India

Written By: Johnny_D on 01/30/07 at 9:56 am

Click here, scroll down, and have a look ... http://www.o3.indiatimes.com/triplex

Subject: Re: AmiRight song parodies being quoted in India

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/30/07 at 10:27 am

Click here, scroll down, and have a look ... http://www.o3.indiatimes.com/triplex

would have been nice if they got the site name right...

Written By: Red Ant on 01/30/07 at 7:01 pm

I immediately recognized a few of those parodies as Amiwriter's work, including "Rise of The Pfizer" by Johnny D, Another Kick in the Balls by Johnny D,"Pepper Spray" by LadyG, and a few others look quite familiar as well...

I've had my share of debating plagiarism, fair use, and copyright issues over the last few days, so I think I'll pass on a posting a lengthy comment here on my views.

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/30/07 at 9:24 pm

I occasionally see my parodies posted on other websites without attribution, and it bugs me. I mean, if you can copy and paste the parody text, certainly you can just as easily copy and paste the author info, right? If it's a messageboard that no one reads - with messages that disappear into archives after a couple weeks or whatever - I'll just ignore it; it's not worth the hassle.

Once, though, I saw my "Vatican City" posted in its entirety on a website, with a link from the home page to it, really kinda hyping it up, and my name was nowhere to be found. I sent the site owners a polite email about it, and they immediately apologized and added my name and several links to my site.

I don't really know what my point is here, but, hey, there's an anecdote for you.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 01/30/07 at 9:36 pm

I've had my share of debating plagiarism, fair use, and copyright issues over the last few days, so I think I'll pass on a posting a lengthy comment here on my views.

Nothing to debate here. They took our works, gave no attribution, but instead claimed it was theirs or their members'. Plagiarism, pure and simple.

"Songs and lyrics courtesy mp3.com and iamright.com".
ChuckyG, aside from the site misspelling, you didn't give them any such permission, right? So they fraudulently claimed permission ("courtesy") also.

I say we get Dubya to invade India and get our parodies back!

Written By: EthanM on 01/30/07 at 11:12 pm

As long as they're not making money off of it I don't think it's a big deal. Sure, they should've given credit but  anything apart from a polite request to give credit would be overreacting.

Written By: Charnstar on 02/06/07 at 5:56 am

Yeah, I've only found 2 of my parodies outside AmIRight and HFC-Realm. One was on a friends blog, and one was on some random forum site about Nintendo...

Check for new replies or respond here...