inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did a karaoke-seller plagiarize my parody "Stacked Plastic Woman" on eBay?

Written By: Johnny_D on 01/30/07 at 10:28 am

Looks suspicious to me ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Karaoke-CDG-Party-Fun-Parodies-of-Popular-Hits-DISK-2_W0QQitemZ120071268624QQihZ002QQcategoryZ20799QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120071268624

Here's my parody, posted way back in January of 2004:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/santana14.shtml

Subject: Re: Did a karaoke-seller plagiarize my parody "Stacked Plastic Woman" on eBay?

Written By: jreuben on 01/30/07 at 12:15 pm

it's almost worth buying to see if it's an exact match, although I'd hate to be supporting them if it is

Subject: Re: Did a karaoke-seller plagiarize my parody "Stacked Plastic Woman" on eBay?

Written By: Johnny_D on 01/30/07 at 1:00 pm

Yeah, I've considered buying it ... it's in CD-karaoke format, however -- it requires a special player, doesn't it?

That seller, whose eBay pseudonym is windmill-music, has a total of 3 parody karaoke CDs for sale -- and if you look at the list of titles on each of those 3 CDs, you'll find parodies whose titles match the titles of some of Malcolm Higgins' parodies.

Written By: jreuben on 01/30/07 at 2:48 pm

I have several karaoke CDs (and a karaoke player).  On a normal CD player, I believe the song will play fine, but you might not get the vocals.

If they used a lot of Malcolm's as well, they probably ripped you off, obviously.

Written By: Arwen on 01/30/07 at 3:20 pm

I'm kind of a beast, so I went ahead and sent a mesasge and called him/her on the whole thing...it's pretty obvious that they are amiright parodies...we'll see what they say.

Not that it will solve anything...but it will at least let them know that we're on to them.

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/30/07 at 4:48 pm

Contact your lawyer, Johnny D. If it smells like dog doo (and so forth)... :-X

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/30/07 at 4:49 pm

Seems the sale has ended with a Buy It Now. Hmm.

Written By: Matthias on 01/30/07 at 4:59 pm

-Number 2 He Stole From Aurelius: http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/carlysimon34.shtml
-Number 3 He Stole From Stuart McArthur: http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/killbillsoundtracksantaesmeralda0.shtml
-Number 8 He Stole From Jan Hayes: http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/shirleybassey1.shtml

Written By: EthanM on 01/30/07 at 5:05 pm

Has the phrase "knob ender" even been used outside of the Jan Hayes parody?

Written By: Arwen on 01/30/07 at 6:15 pm

Seems the sale has ended with a Buy It Now. Hmm.

Actually, when I was on ebay earlier, he had a full page of his CDs for sale.  All of those items have now been taken off the site...and are said to be no longer available...i.e., he took them all off because I'm pretty sure that scared the crap out of him.

I don't even think he used one of my personal parodies, but this is a c & p of what I sent him... :)

"Hey,
I am a parody artist on the website www.amiright.com, where it appears you found several of the parodies that you have featured on this and other CDs that you're selling on ebay. Just thought you should know that we're aware that you've taken our original works without permission, and I, for one, am going to look into legal options for recourse.

Thanks."

What a freaking loser...

Written By: Johnny_D on 01/30/07 at 6:20 pm

Actually, when I was on ebay earlier, he had a full page of his CDs for sale.  All of those items have now been taken off the site...and are said to be no longer available...i.e., he took them all off because I'm pretty sure that scared the crap out of him.

I don't even think he used one of my personal parodies, but this is a c & p of what I sent him... :)

"Hey,
I am a parody artist on the website www.amiright.com, where it appears you found several of the parodies that you have featured on this and other CDs that you're selling on ebay. Just thought you should know that we're aware that you've taken our original works without permission, and I, for one, am going to look into legal options for recourse.

Thanks."

What a freaking loser...

Arwen -- thank you, very much, for sending the seller that message.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 01/30/07 at 8:39 pm

hmm, he's actually got 2 of mine there - #3 "Oh Lord, Please Don't Drive Me Througth That Neighbourhood" and #12 "Waitin For The Doctor All Day"
- what a bastard >:(

still the hassle of chasing him up, and auditing, and following up, and all is such a hassle - I've gone through all that on a world map that I publish and a childrens book I once wrote, which were both blatantly ripped off, and it's just not worth it - he's bound to be small potatoes (look at his layout!) - and it ends up being a waste of time, money and emotion

but thanks Arwen for putting a bomb under him - it's nice to know that bad karma is scoring a few direct hits :)

Written By: Spaff.com on 01/30/07 at 8:59 pm

Wow. I wish I would have nabbed one of these CDs before Arwen scared this guy under a rock. Not that I would want to financially support his theft, of course, but simply because this thing is now going to become legendary as *the* rare/pirate/bootleg/underground Amiright CD. An actual CD of a guy doing karaoke renditions of Amiright hits!

If any of you are looking for any early Christmas presents for me....

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Johnny_D on 01/31/07 at 12:26 am

This Google search shows that the seller sold quite a few of those parody disks over the past year:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22stacked+plastic+woman%22&hl=en&start=10&sa=N&filter=0

Our parodies are plagiarized here as well:

http://www.karaokemanager.com/kjmanagercat/karaokesongs2p.asp?letter=p

On the following page, enter "parody" in the box, pull down to "Artist Name", and then click "Find":

http://www.karaokemanager.com/kjmanagercat/search.asp

Written By: Peregrin on 01/31/07 at 1:37 am

Has the phrase "knob ender" even been used outside of the Jan Hayes parody?

Ethan, it's a not totally uncommon insult in the U.K. and less so in Australia  ;)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 01/31/07 at 11:24 am

I'm actually bummed he didn't steal any of mine.  I think we should apologize to him immediately.  ;)

Actually, I thought a couple years ago about developing a karaoke machine that included parody lyrics ("Para-dokey"?).  But that would be work, and alas, I'm allergic (insert postal worker joke here).  Maybe this guy has done us a favor.  Someone who isn't me should do a lot of work to develop the idea, and let the rest of us ride on their coattails. 

No big rush; I'll wait patiently.

Check for new replies or respond here...