inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Parody Site Question

Written By: skittlesking on 02/13/07 at 10:28 pm

This poll is not because interest in badave.com hasn't been there,  but because most visitors are returning visitors. . .so now is opinion time. . .this site will be undergoing transformations this week.  Many ideas have floated in my head, these are the eleven I liked the most. . .I can't do them all, and some will take awhile to implement.  Which are most important to you?

Subject: Re: Parody Site Question

Written By: skittlesking on 02/19/07 at 6:32 pm

Well, Music Videos seems to be leading, I will do that, I promise It looks like the main thing is more of me on the site and hosting files on the site. . .thanks for the input guys, still looking for more though. . .

Written By: Meriadoc on 02/19/07 at 7:10 pm

We could use more parody artists regularly posting in the Badave community forum...hint hint... :)

Written By: skittlesking on 02/19/07 at 8:07 pm

We could use more parody artists regularly posting in the Badave community forum...hint hint... :)

I agree 100%, and need more emphasis on the Community, so that is one thing that will be implemented strongly in the updates. . .

Written By: skittlesking on 02/21/07 at 1:47 pm

The Badave.com overhaul is underway. . .I will be posting here on each major update.

Current Status: 1.5% Complete (estimate based on total pages predicted needed and complete)

The Sign up form for parodists has been been built, it is not on the main page but it is functional, as is the database that holds the information and allows auto sign ups.  This also of course meant my new imaging had to be done--which is on the main page, that also will continue to morph a little, but the first two steps---Artist sign up basic form has been built.

Written By: Meriadoc on 02/21/07 at 2:21 pm

Eeeek!

Dave, you gotta change those colours! The blue on black and black on purple is impossible to read... :o

Written By: skittlesking on 02/21/07 at 2:34 pm

Eeeek!

Dave, you gotta change those colours! The blue on black and black on purple is impossible to read... :o

That's one of the pages that have not been changed obviously--the background image, and color for text have, but the pages themselves are in progress. . .It will likely be a slow process. . .but I'm hopeful that it will be ready by March 1st

Written By: Josh2 on 02/21/07 at 3:21 pm

Yay, BA DAVE will be ready on St. Davids's Day, the coolest of all Saint's days cos he's the Patron Saint of Wales. How awesome.

Written By: Meriadoc on 02/21/07 at 11:37 pm

Yay, BA DAVE will be ready on St. Davids's Day, the coolest of all Saint's days cos he's the Patron Saint of Wales. How awesome.

Nothing against Wales, but personally I always preferred St. Alphege...  8)

Hmmmm..... could there be a parody here? "What's it all about, Alphege...?"  :P

Written By: skittlesking on 02/24/07 at 11:43 pm

Well, it may not seem like big news. . .but after a total of 27 hours put into it, the band photo upload feature is operational. . .and so is the log in and log out script.

what is significant about this, I have never before successfully created, and accessed, this php function without major security flaws.  This didn't count big towards the overall completion, but will help greatly when I get to the harder parts like mp3 upload.

I learned how to do file verification, allowing me to only allow certain file types be uploaded and researched inserting and uploaded at the same time. . .this is great news. . .and now the site is at

2.9% complete. . .which may be misleading

Complete Thus Far
1. Artist Sign Up Form
2. Artist Personal Pages
3. Band Picture Update Feature
4. Log In
5. Log Out
6. Upload Database
7. Transfer Upload Database
8. Band Database
9. Header Image
10. Header Script
11. Footer Script
12. Log In Verification Script
13. File Type Verification Script
14. File Size Verification Script

Written By: Meriadoc on 02/25/07 at 12:16 am

Good job Dave, I for one appreciate all the hard work you are putting into this! :)

Written By: Josh2 on 02/25/07 at 8:07 pm

just a mention that clicking on the video tab wil take you too the link baddave.com/video but the content is the recordings page.

Written By: weirdojace on 02/25/07 at 8:20 pm

I just took a look at the site and it looks like a great idea. I just submitted a bunch of mine.

Written By: skittlesking on 02/25/07 at 8:37 pm

Another big step . . .

The Information Update feature has been built. . .this also means that the information database is working fine. . .

That helped towards the total completion. . . .

10.2% Complete. . .Still a long way to go . . .I know I know. . . .St. David's Day is starting to look like a train. . .may have to push back. . .but that's ok, It's because I'm working a lot, and for that I can't possibly complain.

Thank you Merry & Pippin, and since no video had been submitted I hadn't noticed that the video link was incorrect--thank you Josh2. . .

Thank you weirdojace, the site is going to start hosting parodies, and is being reconstructed to do so, so soon it will have another option and will look, well, good:) 

89.8% to go. . .c'mon David, plug away:)

Written By: skittlesking on 02/27/07 at 1:58 am

12.4%!!!

The Artist Profile Page has been built, and despite the work required, took realtively little time. . .next on the list I'll keep working away. . .

Written By: skittlesking on 02/27/07 at 2:24 am

Artist Directory Built

13.9%. . ..

and I think that's it tonight, the next step is huge. . .and needs my full alertness  :o

Written By: skittlesking on 03/03/07 at 11:48 pm

Sorry about the site delay, I have been diligently working on it, the problem is the current project is extremely important. . .I can't seem to get the song upload AND the security function to work together, I can get song uploads to work, but only by loosing security beyond acceptable levels, or I can get security to work, and the song uploads deny because they are too big with the security settings. . .I don't know, but am working on it, it may become an email form for the music which would delay approval times slightly (as it would mean me receiving it by email rather than it uploading and me simply changing it to a Y instead of an N for display in my MySQL Database). . .anyway. . .the PHP is tricky, and I will keep playing with it until I figure it out one way or another. . .the good thing is, with picture upload completed, this is the only step left that I have never successfully done before, which means once I get it working--the other steps (while some may be tedious) are all things I've done for other sites, and should require less delicate work by me. . .thank you all for you continued patience with badave.com, it's on the way. . .I would give another estimate but at this rate, it's probably safer that I don't and just try to figure this out. . .it gave me a headache tonight, so I had to take a break and go to bed . . .I'll give it another go tomorrow. . .Red Ant, Ann Hammond and Matthias, expect a surprise from me sometime next week . . .but you know me Bwah ha ha. . .I won't tell you when or what:)

Written By: skittlesking on 03/13/07 at 3:04 am

The script is just not working, there are no errors, but when a file goes to upload I get the error that the file cannot be moved which means the server can't handle mp3 uploads over the user codes, so I'm going to try and find a way to where I can retrieve mp3 files through my email instead through the site, if I have to I'll have to set it up to where people just email me mp3 files. . .but I'm trying to avoid that as it's not the most professional way to handle it and some people cannot send large files by email. . .not to mention then I can't verify it's Mp3 until I check it in my email. . .could cause quite a bit of havoc. . .I'm working on it, once this particular project is done, it really isn't hard. . .but this has been and continues to be quite a headache for me.

Written By: skittlesking on 03/13/07 at 3:37 pm

The script is just not working, there are no errors, but when a file goes to upload I get the error that the file cannot be moved which means the server can't handle mp3 uploads over the user codes, so I'm going to try and find a way to where I can retrieve mp3 files through my email instead through the site, if I have to I'll have to set it up to where people just email me mp3 files. . .but I'm trying to avoid that as it's not the most professional way to handle it and some people cannot send large files by email. . .not to mention then I can't verify it's Mp3 until I check it in my email. . .could cause quite a bit of havoc. . .I'm working on it, once this particular project is done, it really isn't hard. . .but this has been and continues to be quite a headache for me.

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. . .I'm irritated at this script. . .it's just UGH. . .I think my host doesn't handle large files by anything other than FTP well. . .I just can't get it to work, I finally got it to STOP timing out, however now when I try to upload any mp3, it says "The File Exceeds Max File Size", well I set the Max File Size to be 1048576 bytes, which is 10 mega bytes-the error it's showing, IS MY SELF MADE ERROR CHECK SYSTEM. . .except, the max file size does not exceed it. . .but something is screwy, even when I take out ALL file check points, it fails, yet it will upload midis, images and even Acrobat Files when I do that, which is scary because that means someone could upload exe in such a file. . .I don't want that, and besides it STILL doesn't allow mp3 uploads. . .I don't get it. . .I can FTP mp3s with no problem. . .but I am not about to mess with the FTP settings.  I messed with mime types to create more mp3 mime types in case maybe it was just the default apache mime type wasn't a good verifier, but that did nothing.  I altered my max time limit in the php ini file, well it stopped timing out but it still doesn't upload. . .I reduced security on that particular script to bare bones nothing and it would upload anything but mp3 audio, I don't get it. . .I guess I have to either go for plan B (which is to allow emailing of mp3s to a designated email address for this purpose), try to create a form for Plan B (which wouldn't be much different but it would look better, just hopefully I don't run into the same brick walls I did with the upload) or scratch file hosting and offer it as a friend thing to certain artists who help me get started. . .On the flip side, it doesn't look like the midi library idea will be as difficult to pull off as the hosting, also the profile feature isn't giving me a hard time to build--although tedious each script I'm building IS working--I thought maybe I was doing something wrong, but my error logs are clear, I have no typos, and I've double checked every character I've entered, it's flabbergasting. . .tiresome, and time consuming and ugh. . .I think maybe the only way to really fully pull this off would be to go out and buy expensive servers and do it the hard way, which isn't feasible for at least a few years right now, and besides I don't plan on making a profit here--so it's kinda silly to think about doing that when I'm only doing this so that people have an alternative to Soundclick's Useage Relaxes. . .I'll keep working on it, but if any of you have a suggestion, my ears are itching for ideas so LAY IT ON ME!. . .and for once I mean that with absolutely no puns. . .

Written By: wildcard on 03/13/07 at 4:04 pm

The only help I can give you right now is a hug. 

Written By: skittlesking on 03/13/07 at 4:15 pm

The only help I can give you right now is a hug. 

Thank you for that wildcard. . .right now I need it. . .I think I have an idea, but it's not the way I wanted to do it and it isn't the most secure, but I could set it up to allow people to enter information for their song and then go to a page directing them were to send the file, but then it assumes people have the ability to send email mp3 attachments and I run the risk of someone trying to sabatoge my email with bogus files that aren't mp3. . .but realistically I can't see it being a big problem, just not as smooth or as professional as the profiles or midi library would be. . .I'm going to continue working on it, knowing that the people here support my efforts helps. . .I feel so enthused and energetic when I successfully complete these difficult scripts, but the opposite is true when those scripts fail, defeat and frustration. . .thanks again. . .

Check for new replies or respond here...