inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: how do you record your parodies ?

Written By: tomario on 03/30/07 at 4:52 am

now that recording your own parodies is becoming more popular i was wandering if you could give me some info :-

how do you record your parodies ?

where do you get your backing tracks from ?

what mixer do you use ?

Subject: Re: how do you record your parodies ?

Written By: jreuben on 03/30/07 at 7:33 am

I plug a mike into my computer (either Mac or PC) and use software (Garageband or Magix Music Maker) to record.

I, or friends of mine play the backing track on guitar.  Some of the other writers are using royalty-free midis.  You can also use karaoke CDs. but I believe there can be copywright/legal issues if you ever plan to get airtime.

I use Garageband or Magix Music Maker to do my mixing (I do it all through the software, others might have hardware to help them out).

I have access to a buddy with an in-house recording setup...more than I have, less than a real recording studio.  He uses Cubase software (expensive).

Hope that helps!

Written By: Tia on 03/30/07 at 8:56 am

i dont do parodies (well, i sorta do) but i record a lot of amateur music, i use acid music studio (i have both version 5 and version 6, but version 6 is giving me latency problems, which is pissing me off), this m-audio thing w/a usb port, all running through my computer. i have sonar but lately i haven't been able to make it work right, which is too bad cuz it's good software.

Written By: wildcard on 03/30/07 at 11:37 am

I have a microphone I just plug into my computer.  I use Sound Recorder, it came with my computer.  Midi's can be downloaded for free at http://www.kariokebar.com/MIDI/indexM.html 

Written By: nally on 03/30/07 at 11:50 am

I have a microphone I just plug into my computer.  I use Sound Recorder, it came with my computer.  Midi's can be downloaded for free at http://www.kariokebar.com/MIDI/indexM.html 
Interesting...I would assume that's where the "M" songs are at.

I know of numerous other sites where you can download midi's for free; in fact, some years ago I found out about a "Midi search engine" web site, musicrobot.com; however, that database hasn't been updated in at least two years.

Written By: wildcard on 03/30/07 at 2:36 pm

Interesting...I would assume that's where the "M" songs are at.

I know of numerous other sites where you can download midi's for free; in fact, some years ago I found out about a "Midi search engine" web site, musicrobot.com; however, that database hasn't been updated in at least two years.

musicrobot I'll keep that in mind.  I'm much more of a writer then a recorder.  I have some brain related hearing problems and do my writings and or recordings from what I've heard as a child because my brain knows what it needs to sound like.  If someone makes a request to use a song I don't know, I always have the lyrics to look at.

Written By: skittlesking on 03/30/07 at 3:09 pm

I did a thread on "How to Record Parodies". . .I have to get to work though, so I'll come back and post it here later. . .

Written By: philbo on 04/02/07 at 7:00 am

Strangely enough, the best recording I've managed so far was done using a PC headset mike that came with ViaVoice plugged straight into the laptop (bog standard on-board sound card).

I have a e-Magic USB sound device which gives perfect recording quality, but is so flaky that it's almost impossible to use.  I have a good quality mike, but although it's best when plugged into the amp, it needs a pre-amp for the PC and my pre-amp/effects pedal is being very "buzzy" at the moment... which is why I'm not doing any guitar recording right now.

I mix using n-track, which has been great over the years.

For backing, whatever I can find, really: some MIDIs, some karaoke tracks, some me-on-guitar.

Written By: skittlesking on 04/02/07 at 11:46 am

Strangely enough, the best recording I've managed so far was done using a PC headset mike that came with ViaVoice plugged straight into the laptop (bog standard on-board sound card).

I have a e-Magic USB sound device which gives perfect recording quality, but is so flaky that it's almost impossible to use.  I have a good quality mike, but although it's best when plugged into the amp, it needs a pre-amp for the PC and my pre-amp/effects pedal is being very "buzzy" at the moment... which is why I'm not doing any guitar recording right now.

I mix using n-track, which has been great over the years.

For backing, whatever I can find, really: some MIDIs, some karaoke tracks, some me-on-guitar.

Midis and Karaoke tracks can sometimes be altered.

Midi, for exmaple, you can run through 'Anvil Studio' and remove unwanted instrumental parts (like vocals) and soften or increase volume on the others.  You can actually alter everything about a midi from it's notes, to what instruments are used to create the sound and everything.

Karaoke using recording software you can often reduce the volume of the backing vocals, however it always sounds a bit cheesy when you do that and many people find it easier to just sing over them. . .I myself only use instrumentals or midis, but that's my preference, let me find that thread right now.

Written By: skittlesking on 04/02/07 at 11:48 am

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=25034.0

This is the detailed thread I did on the topic not to far back. . .I hope it helps, and always feel free to contact me if you do need help. . .I have done what I've could to help many others get some of their music online.

Written By: weirdojace on 04/02/07 at 3:45 pm

I use Adobe Audition (formerly known as Cool Edit) to record everything.

The guitars are always recorded first, going through an effects pedal into the computer. They are also filterd to give the recording a better sound. For parodies, we record everything on top of the original song, for originals we use a click track.

Drums are recorded next, using two microphones, one next to the hihat, the other on top of the bass drum.

Next usually comes the keyboard. My wonderful Yamaha, which is a direct input. It sounds very clean.

Vocals come last, recording until I get them perfect. I always do backup vocals as well. Then I add reverbs, echos, or other effects, and then mix it down. Then the whole song gets run through a mastering filter.

Check for new replies or respond here...