inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Submission Tool for Parodies

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/03/07 at 10:39 am

Should work a lot like the old one, except the preview & password is on the same page, and there's now a security code too

No idea how accent characters are going to be handled.

Spammers were actually dumping crap on that form too.  Hopefully that'll be the last of it.  Plus the new form uses all the whizbang stuff I wrote for the other forms on the site, so that will hopefully make it easier to maintain.

Subject: Re: New Submission Tool for Parodies

Written By: Jason on 04/03/07 at 5:30 pm

Hi ChuckyG

Ive noticed that since you implemented these security measures, the website takes somewhat longer to load. Also when I submitted my latest parody, when I previewed it, there was unwanted spaces between each line even though I didn't insert them myself. Will the parody appear 'correctly'?

Regards, Jason

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/03/07 at 8:25 pm

Hi ChuckyG

Ive noticed that since you implemented these security measures, the website takes somewhat longer to load. Also when I submitted my latest parody, when I previewed it, there was unwanted spaces between each line even though I didn't insert them myself. Will the parody appear 'correctly'?

Regards, Jason

it might be slower for a form to load, but it seems just as quick to me as ever.

no idea about the double lines thing, how did you submit it?  cut and paste from Microsoft Word?

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/03/07 at 9:37 pm

no idea about the double lines thing, how did you submit it?  cut and paste from Microsoft Word?

it's an Internet Explorer issue. like a fool, I only tested it in Firefox.

not sure if it will screw up the submissions or not, I can spot it and fix it though it if does.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/03/07 at 9:40 pm

it's an Internet Explorer issue. like a fool, I only tested it in Firefox.

not sure if it will screw up the submissions or not, I can spot it and fix it though it if does.

I just thought more about it... did a few quick tests and downloaded the database for the new submissions, they all look fine.  So it's strictly with how IE is displaying things.  I'll work on it some more.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/03/07 at 9:45 pm

I just thought more about it... did a few quick tests and downloaded the database for the new submissions, they all look fine.  So it's strictly with how IE is displaying things.  I'll work on it some more.

ok, now I'm really talking to myself.  anyways, found the problem and fixed it.  Surprised it didn't show up in Firefox too.  It was something I addressed in the submission tool but not in the preview tool (they're separate scripts).

Written By: Jason on 04/04/07 at 4:13 am

it might be slower for a form to load, but it seems just as quick to me as ever.

no I cutted and pasted from Notepad.

Written By: Jason on 04/04/07 at 4:14 am

ok, now I'm really talking to myself.  anyways, found the problem and fixed it.  Surprised it didn't show up in Firefox too.  It was something I addressed in the submission tool but not in the preview tool (they're separate scripts).

Well as long as my new parodies show up correctly that will be brilliant. Thanks for that.

Written By: Peregrin on 04/04/07 at 4:27 am

No idea how accent characters are going to be handled.

Dunno if this falls into the same category as what you were wondering about here Chuck...?

I was intending to submit a parody tonight on behalf of Merry and myself, but when I put "Merry & Pippin" into the Parody Author Name field, in the preview it shows as "Merry"

only....  :o :-\\ :P

It seems to be a problem with the ampersand, if I use the word "and" it works fine, but of course, all the rest of our parodies have the ampersand in them, so they wouldn't appear as the same artist

Can you please advise ?  Thanks  :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/04/07 at 9:02 am

John A Barry told me of a problem with quote marks having slashes appear in front of them in the preview mode.  It was a problem with the preview mode only, didn't effect submissions.  I fixed it this morning.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/04/07 at 9:02 am

Dunno if this falls into the same category as what you were wondering about here Chuck...?

I was intending to submit a parody tonight on behalf of Merry and myself, but when I put "Merry & Pippin" into the Parody Author Name field, in the preview it shows as "Merry"

only....  :o :-\\ :P

It seems to be a problem with the ampersand, if I use the word "and" it works fine, but of course, all the rest of our parodies have the ampersand in them, so they wouldn't appear as the same artist

Can you please advise ?  Thanks  :)

might be a preview tool only problem, I'll try and see what the problem is.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/04/07 at 9:16 am

might be a preview tool only problem, I'll try and see what the problem is.

yeah, ampersands weren't getting encoded properly with the preview tool.  Probably also with the comment system on the parodies as well.  Should be fixed now.

Written By: karen on 04/04/07 at 9:19 am

talking to yourself again, Chucky?

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/04/07 at 10:22 am

talking to yourself again, Chucky?

yeah...  I do that a lot.  if I write it down, I can at least search for it if I forgot what it was I did to fix the problem should it arise again

Written By: Jason on 04/04/07 at 10:41 am

yeah...  I do that a lot.  if I write it down, I can at least search for it if I forgot what it was I did to fix the problem should it arise again

Well doing that shows a great deal of intelligence ChuckyG! I should know as I talk to myself a fair bit as well!  :) ;)

Written By: Peregrin on 04/05/07 at 6:09 am

yeah, ampersands weren't getting encoded properly with the preview tool.  Probably also with the comment system on the parodies as well.  Should be fixed now.

Thanks for fixing that  :)

When I submitted tonight, I got the following message :

Song Parody Lyrics -> Submission Form

OK, Your comment has been recorded!

Everything submitted to the site is reviewed by an editor. Your entry may take anywhere from 24 hours to a week before it is added (IF it is added).

Is the reference to comment intended to be in there, or were you using that as a template perhaps ?

Just wondering, the 'comment' bit seemed a bit out of place  :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/05/07 at 6:59 am

Thanks for fixing that  :)

When I submitted tonight, I got the following message :

Song Parody Lyrics -> Submission Form

OK, Your comment has been recorded!

Everything submitted to the site is reviewed by an editor. Your entry may take anywhere from 24 hours to a week before it is added (IF it is added).

Is the reference to comment intended to be in there, or were you using that as a template perhaps ?

Just wondering, the 'comment' bit seemed a bit out of place  :)

yeah, just a template.  I never got around to making a more customized one for the various sections it's used for.

Check for new replies or respond here...