inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Links in parody lyrics - please don't

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/23/07 at 8:01 am

I've seen an increase in the number of links within lyrics to parodies to other sites.  I don't block links in lyrics completely, because of album parodies, but I also don't want them going to other sites within the lyrics.  It's not clear to a site visitor that the links are meant to point to another site, and it almost gives the appearance they are supported by am I right.

I'm really not a fan of anything in the lyrics field except for lyrics.  I'm perfectly happy with the header and footer fields having links.

Links to radical sites that promote hate (Stormfront, Little Green Footballs, DailyKOS) are also not appreciated, and will keep you from getting a parody approved.

Subject: Re: Links in parody lyrics - please don't

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/23/07 at 8:13 am

I just touched up the submission guidelines (there were some typos, and the adult content line wasn't phrased properly).  The link requirement was already in there, I guess I've just been lax in enforcement in the past.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/23/07 at 8:19 am

http://www.amiright.com/parody/submitting.shtml

I wouldn't mind if people checked out the guidelines and let me know if there are any problems with it.

Written By: Rex on 04/23/07 at 8:46 am

I wouldn't mind if people checked out the guidelines and let me know if there are any problems with it.

Under "No short songs", the word "unique" is misspelled.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 04/23/07 at 9:02 am

Under "No short songs", the word "unique" is misspelled.

and after 'Under "No short songs"', the word "misspelled" is unique  :)
......er, because of the "ssp" ???
......er, not counting passport and pisspot :-[

Written By: Rex on 04/23/07 at 9:13 am

and after 'Under "No short songs"', the word "misspelled" is unique  :)
......er, because of the "ssp" ???
......er, not counting passport and pisspot :-[

And "sugar" is the only word where "su" is pronounced "sh". I'm sure.  ;D

Written By: karen on 04/23/07 at 9:46 am

To me it doesn't seem to forbid you putting links to other sites.  You may have intended that by this bit

"No HTML markup
HTML codes are stripped out. Do not enter any html commands (like <B> or <br>) as they will get stripped out. <a href=""> tags are the only tags accepted and must appear in the comment fields only. "

but it isn't clear (to me anyway)

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/23/07 at 12:02 pm

To me it doesn't seem to forbid you putting links to other sites.  You may have intended that by this bit

"No HTML markup
HTML codes are stripped out. Do not enter any html commands (like <B> or <br>) as they will get stripped out. <a href=""> tags are the only tags accepted and must appear in the comment fields only. "

but it isn't clear (to me anyway)

you're not forbidden to place links to other sites.  just forbidden to use links to other sites within the lyrics field.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/23/07 at 12:23 pm

I changed the preview tool, and added some extra comments below the lyrics form, which should help clear things up.

Written By: philbo on 04/23/07 at 4:51 pm

I've seen an increase in the number of links within lyrics to parodies to other sites.  I don't block links in lyrics completely, because of album parodies, but I also don't want them going to other sites within the lyrics.  It's not clear to a site visitor that the links are meant to point to another site, and it almost gives the appearance they are supported by am I right.

I see what you mean... as one of the recent culprits when it comes to adding links to parodies - what about links that aren't to other sites?  In that my last parody (this one), I link to three dozen other parodies, all on amiright.

I have done one other parody that links to The Brick Testament, but I think that's it...

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/23/07 at 5:39 pm

I see what you mean... as one of the recent culprits when it comes to adding links to parodies - what about links that aren't to other sites?  In that my last parody (this one), I link to three dozen other parodies, all on amiright.

I have done one other parody that links to The Brick Testament, but I think that's it...

Links to other parodies on the site are fine.  I want to keep the rule simple on the site, and I figure only regulars are going to be affected by it, and they'll know enough to either ask or just try it.

Written By: Step-chan on 04/23/07 at 6:44 pm

How about linking lyrics from threads started on here? I've done that a few times on here, to make it easier for me.(I can also unlock one and change the title to reflect the thread's addition)

Check for new replies or respond here...