inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hey everyone! Let me know what you think of my first 'Parody-oke' music video!

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 04/29/07 at 3:37 pm

I just finished putting together my first parody music video and now I want to share it with all of you. It's my parody of Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire", done with a Star Wars theme.
The youtube address is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIqG8NN6sIU
Please tell me what you think, I'd love to hear comments.
Thanks!

Subject: Re: Hey guys! Check out my first 'Parody-oke' music video!

Written By: EthanM on 04/29/07 at 3:59 pm

I thought the video was well-produced, and better written than most parody videos. You're not hopoing to make money off of it, right? Because copyrights could be a problem.

Written By: Rex on 04/29/07 at 4:08 pm

Bloody well done! What software did you use?

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 04/29/07 at 4:57 pm

Thank you Ethan and Rex! I worked pretty hard at this, and quite damn proud of the results.
Rex- I used Adobe Premiere 2.0, but it was trial version, and my 30 days are up already. I'm gonna have to get a full version.
Ethan- I'm not worried about copyright problems because I'm DEFINETLY not making money off of it (I wish). Everything I've ever done has solely been for the purpose of entertaining and making people laugh for free.

Written By: lpg_unit on 04/30/07 at 12:45 am

Hmm, I guees Mikey would spend a hundred or so bucks just to buy Premiere, too bad it won't fit in my system, as it needs 256MB RAM, I only got 128...  :(

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 05/01/07 at 5:34 pm

I'm getting my full version of premiere next week, and I already have several ideas of what I'm doing next.
In the meantime, I'd love to hear any feedback of this one, any suggestions (besides improving my bad singing ::)) would be welcome. Thanks!

Written By: lpg_unit on 05/01/07 at 8:25 pm

I'm getting my full version of premiere next week, and I already have several ideas of what I'm doing next.
In the meantime, I'd love to hear any feedback of this one, any suggestions (besides improving my bad singing ::)) would be welcome. Thanks!

Congratulations to Mikey Squirrel...

Subject: Re: Hey everyone! Let me know what you think of my first 'Parody-oke' music video!

Written By: Red Ant on 05/01/07 at 11:40 pm

Wow, Mikey, excellent video and parody! Even though I'm not into SW, I still laughed in several places.

Was Ethan's comment about potential copyright problems aimed at the video or the backing track? That's definitely not a crappy MIDI file found off the 'net you used: it sounds like an instrumental version of the original, which brings me to my question:

I found out that Eminem released "Without Me" as an instrumental. Would rapping my parody over that be okay? (okay meaning "Eminem wouldn't sue me into oblivion"). I'm not looking for legal advice, but I think that fair use and parody would allow me to use the artist's original music for non-commercial publication.

Subject: Re: Hey everyone! Let me know what you think of my first 'Parody-oke' music video!

Written By: EthanM on 05/02/07 at 9:13 am

When I brought up copyright issues I was thinking of the video clips. You probably won't get sued for using Eminem's instrumental track unless your parody gets popular and Eminem is personally offended by it, but personally I wouldn't risk it. I have a fairly good quality mp3 of without me at my parents' house, and I'll probably be there within the next couple of weeks so I could send it to you if you want.

Written By: philbo on 05/02/07 at 4:16 pm

Thank you Ethan and Rex! I worked pretty hard at this, and quite damn proud of the results.

So you should be - that must have taken hours to get those clips together...

Tip for extra feedback: turn the volume up and hold the mike next to the speakers ;)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 05/02/07 at 5:00 pm

I loved it Mikey - and my wife heard it and came over and laughed too - believe me that's something ;)

oh, and my favourite line: "Luke, of course" -  ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 05/02/07 at 6:20 pm

Very good! I bet my dad would be able to spot most(if not all) of those references.

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 05/03/07 at 7:43 pm

Thanks to all for the comments!
Red Ant: I was lucky to find a karaoke version of the song, so I'm not the least bit worried about copyright.
Ethan: I'm not sure about using the clips from the Star Wars movies, but I'm not making money off of it, so it shouldn't be a problem, right?
Philbo: Thank you and haha about the feedback thing.
Stu: I'm glad I can make you and your wife laugh, and not cry from my bad singing.
Step-Chan: Thanks for making me feel old ! ;)

Written By: Step-chan on 05/03/07 at 8:41 pm

Step-Chan: Thanks for making me feel old ! ;)

I'm not young. ;)

Subject: Re: Hey everyone! Let me know what you think of my first 'Parody-oke' music vide

Written By: The Charnstar on 05/05/07 at 7:33 pm

That was GREAT! I loved it! Starwars and Billy Joel together? Irresistable

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 05/09/07 at 11:43 pm

Thanks to everyone who saw the video and commented. It was my first attempt at recording and at making a video!
Be warned! I'm already starting to work on my next project.... :o

Check for new replies or respond here...