inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tips in recording a comedy song

Written By: lpg_unit on 04/29/07 at 9:23 pm

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/images/audacity-linux-small.jpg

OK, so I've heard a few songs from the AmIRight SoundClick station, and technically, there are some things that can be done if you guys want your songs to be like the Caca Man's poo songs in terms of sound quality (I've burned some of his songs on a CD-R, and upon playing it, it sounds quite good despite the gross manure themes). Some of us use an el cheapo microphone - you know, the slim one that costs around 2 to 10 dollars and plugs directly into your computer's sound card jack? After reading an article about setting up a recording studio in your home, here's some tips that might help, although it might sound a bit geeky:

* I guess you guys, Matthias or Dave have a computer that's no more than three years old or something, like a Pentium IV or an AMD Sempron, 1.5 Ghz or better - I know this might be expensive but you might get a RAM stick, 256 MB+ at eBay or any other site at a reasonable price. Just make sure this stick is the right one for your rig - more system RAM means less lag and stuff when running an audio recording app.

* A more decent sound card can do wonders; even though the on borard audio chip your motherboard has can make music better than a tin can, this may improve your voice... I know such cards can be costly but you might pick a good one cheaply...

* Try using a mixer and an amplifier, or maybe the stereo equipment you guys have in your home. An RCA to mini jack adapter can be used to tie up the PC to the equipment - connect the mic to the mixer, and the latter stuff to the PC, either in the mic jack or the Line In...

* As much as possible, get an original instrumental track, like what Insert Coin(s) to Continue did to Justin Timberlake's "My Love". BitTorrent downloads might do, but it is better if you get things the legal way - buying a single. If you can't find one (50 Cent is probably notorious for making "closed-sourced" songs, meaning you can't easliy get his backing tracks), a MIDI might do, although such files can sound computer-generated...never mind.

* Speakers and software - Those cheap speakers that come with 500-dollar computers just won't fill the void - the speakers that come with your home stereo is much better. And software? Hmm, there are lots of commercial apps like Adobe Audition, Sony ACID, and shareware applications, and free, open-source apps like Audacity (one of my faves, check out http://audacity.sourceforge.net). It depends on your choice.

* And also, is your recording space sound-proof, with good or decent acoustics, no air gaps, or no annoying neighbors polluting the airwaves? Some foam stuffing can do wonders; an old mattress placed behind you can also do...

So guys, what's your opinion? Any other advice? ??? I hope you like this...

Subject: Re: Tips in recording a comedy song

Written By: skittlesking on 04/29/07 at 10:17 pm

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/images/audacity-linux-small.jpg

OK, so I've heard a few songs from the AmIRight SoundClick station, and technically, there are some things that can be done if you guys want your songs to be like the Caca Man's poo songs in terms of sound quality (I've burned some of his songs on a CD-R, and upon playing it, it sounds quite good despite the gross manure themes). Some of us use an el cheapo microphone - you know, the slim one that costs around 2 to 10 dollars and plugs directly into your computer's sound card jack? After reading an article about setting up a recording studio in your home, here's some tips that might help, although it might sound a bit geeky:

* I guess you guys, Matthias or karaokedavid82 have a computer that's no more than three years old or something, like a Pentium IV or an AMD Sempron, 1.5 Ghz or better - I know this might be expensive but you might get a RAM stick, 256 MB+ at eBay or any other site at a reasonable price. Just make sure this stick is the right one for your rig - more system RAM means less lag and stuff when running an audio recording app.

* A more decent sound card can do wonders; even though the on borard audio chip your motherboard has can make music better than a tin can, this may improve your voice... I know such cards can be costly but you might pick a good one cheaply...

* Try using a mixer and an amplifier, or maybe the stereo equipment you guys have in your home. An RCA to mini jack adapter can be used to tie up the PC to the equipment - connect the mic to the mixer, and the latter stuff to the PC, either in the mic jack or the Line In...

* As much as possible, get an original instrumental track, like what Insert Coin(s) to Continue did to Justin Timberlake's "My Love". BitTorrent downloads might do, but it is better if you get things the legal way - buying a single. If you can't find one (50 Cent is probably notorious for making "closed-sourced" songs, meaning you can't easliy get his backing tracks), a MIDI might do, although such files can sound computer-generated...never mind.

* Speakers and software - Those cheap speakers that come with 500-dollar computers just won't fill the void - the speakers that come with your home stereo is much better. And software? Hmm, there are lots of commercial apps like Adobe Audition, Sony ACID, and shareware applications, and free, open-source apps like Audacity (one of my faves, check out http://audacity.sourceforge.net). It depends on your choice.

* And also, is your recording space sound-proof, with good or decent acoustics, no air gaps, or no annoying neighbors polluting the airwaves? Some foam stuffing can do wonders; an old mattress placed behind you can also do...

So guys, what's your opinion? Any other advice? ??? I hope you like this...

You guessed right on the age of my computer.  I would love to make quality recordings, at least at this time though I can't afford to do this. . .but I will keep this bookmarked as I am looking into new careers, and financial aspects in my life are improving significantly. . .as for the instruments. . .I do hope to do something about that eventually, as I feel my parodies are good, but in quality they don't compare to the CaCa Man. . .or really Rick Cormier usually. . .but thank you I do appreciate it, I just hope to find someway to actually do this eventually. . .

Subject: Re: Tips in recording a comedy song

Written By: lpg_unit on 04/30/07 at 12:30 am

Thanks, Dave, you're one of the guys that inspire me to make parodies...

Check for new replies or respond here...