inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Birthday invitation for all bands/artists

Written By: Spaff.com on 05/14/07 at 11:39 pm

Robert Lund has a milestone birthday coming up (I won't say which one) and I'm working on a surprise for him. (I'm hoping he won't see this; he doesn't spend a lot of time online.) *You* are invited to celebrate with us, and you can do so without even having to travel all the way to freaking Utah. Here's what I have in mind:

I have composed an ultra-simple birthday song ("Hey Birthday Boy"), and I would love for you to knock out a performance of it.

I have extended this invitation to other dementia artists as well, and my hope/fantasy/dream is that we end up with many versions of this song, done in a myriad of styles. I've got 16 fabulous versions so far, from:
--Rick Duncan (of Amiright fame)
--Dee Range (of Redneck Mothers fame)
--Jake Waters (aka Jukebox Jake)
--Rick Cormier (of East Coast standup fame)
--Bob Guest (aka Sick Puppy)
--Tom Smith (of worldwide filker fame)
--Sudden Death (of Dr. Demento fame)
--Merry & Pippin (of Shire fame)
--Below Average Dave (of badave.com fame)
--Phil Alexander & family (two versions!)
--Kristof Robertson & various split personalities (FIVE versions!)

I have also received an original parody composition from our own Ann Hammond and another funny birthday song from Art Paul Schlosser.

I will do two things with the recordings:

1) I will present them to Robert as a from-all-of-us birthday present;

2) I will compile the versions of "Hey Birthday Boy" onto a CD and send the CD to every artist who participates (including YOU) - as well as to Captain Wayne (The Mad Music Show), David Tanny (DFSX Radio), and definitely Dr. Demento. The CD will credit your performance, of course. Perhaps one of these recordings - yours, even - will become *the* default birthday song for generations of funny music fans. I would love nothing more.

THE DEMO
Here is a simple demo of the song, courtesy of Jake Waters (who graciously did this despite having a killer cold at the time):
www.spaff.com/lund/birthdayboy.mp3

THE LYRICS:
We celebrate your birthday
Even if you don't
Be glad you're getting older
'Cause when you're dead you won't!
So happy happy birthday
From everyone you know
Now we will light the candles
And birth - day - boy - you - blow!

WHAT NOW?
I invite you to do these things:
1) Record *your* version of this song. Put your unique musical stamp on it. Make it your own. Be the cake.
2) Optional: While you're at it, make a second recording, substituting "girl" for "boy" in the last line. I'll include both versions on the CD I send out.
3) Also optional: Record a simple verbal birthday greeting for Robert Lund. I know you don't know the guy, but I'm sure you'd get along swimmingly. (In your greeting, please be sure to say who you are.) I'll give this to Robert but won't include it on the CD.

Then send this stuff to me. I'd prefer MP3s via email (spaff at spaff dot com), but I'm flexible. If you need a mailing address, let me know.

IMPORTANT:
I plan to present this to Robert next week. If you want your version to be included among those I give to him, I would need it no later than this coming Wednesday, May 30th. So cancel all of your other plans for this weekend and bust out a jam.

I'll shut up now. If you've read this far, thank you. The world needs your version of "Hey Birthday Boy," so I hope you'll participate.

xoxox
Spaff

Subject: Re: Birthday invitation for all bands/artists

Written By: Jack Wilson on 05/15/07 at 12:13 am

Calling Below Average Dave...

Written By: skittlesking on 05/15/07 at 3:51 am

Calling Below Average Dave...

Will do most deffinitely. . .his recordings of your masterpieces spaff, are among the best and my voice is strong right now because I'm warming up for Major General. . .so I will do this probably tomorrow night. . .thanks for the call Jack:)

Written By: philbo on 05/15/07 at 6:26 am

I have extended this invitation to other dementia artists as well, and my hope/fantasy/dream is that we end up with many versions of this song, done in a myriad of styles.

I'll see if I can get a myriad of styles into one 20-second rendition ;)  Have an idea for a four-part backing done on sax, euphonium, guitar and drums... (which just happen to be the instruments played by myself and three of my children)

Seriously, though, it's a wonderful idea... I hope Robert gets a kick out of a special "happy birthday" tune all of his own for his twenty-first (or, the twenty-first repeat of his twenty-first birthday, whatever).  Wish him all the best :D

PS Can I add a second verse?  Or does this count as a parody to the OS?

We celebrate your birthday
Here and everywhere
To let you know that we all do
Even if you don't care
So happy happy birthday
We wish you lots of luck
With all that many candles
Remember - blow... don't suck

Written By: jreuben on 05/15/07 at 10:19 am

Cool!  I'll give it my best shot!

Written By: Spaff.com on 05/16/07 at 12:42 am

Dave, Phil, and Jeff:

Excellent! I'm looking forward to your versions of this. And, yes, Philbo (and all of you): go nuts. Feel free to add stuff (like that lovely second verse), change it up, add sound effects, or even create a whole new sax/euphonium genre. I had a guy tell me today he's going to do a death-metal version. With only three versions in the can so far, there are tons of untapped musical ideas.

Again, thanks, guys! Anyone else wanna play?

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 05/16/07 at 1:52 am

as the great great great great grandson (or his neighbour anyway) of the guy that wrote "Happy Birthday To You" who racks up record royalties each year for the use of his tune, I'm a little bit concerned about how he will react to the prospects of diminishing returns as your song gradually replaces it in the collective world consciousness, and makes you a rich (or richer) man indeed Spaff

nevertheless, I wish I'd thought of that  :\'(  and there is no better person to have a shot at pulling it off than you

as for my contribution, I tried recording once for Rick Cormier, and his enthusiasm for my talents was underwhelming :-[

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 05/16/07 at 9:17 am

Oh yes! Count me in!!!!

I've just got a new MIDI keyboard that I haven't worked out how to use yet...but expect at least 5 versions from me with all the bells and whistles.....hehehe

Written By: wildcard on 05/16/07 at 10:35 am

This may be impossible for me to do without having heard the song before my sensorineural hearing loss developed.  My heart tells me to keep singing and it's telling me right now to attempt this.

Written By: Peregrin on 05/16/07 at 5:23 pm

Again, thanks, guys! Anyone else wanna play?

Hello

Yeah, Merry & Pippin wanna play.

We have logistical problems – hemispherically speaking….both laying down vocals…

I ran the tune past my Daughter last night and after one listen she more or less replicated it on the piano, so it seems like we can get a keyboard soundtrack.

So let’s see, we will give it a go.  Hopefully  :)

Written By: Cat on 05/16/07 at 7:13 pm

What a neat idea! I'd been hoping to start recording since my parents got a really nice mic for Christmas, but alas, backing tracks are few and far between. I'll see what I can do...

Written By: philbo on 05/17/07 at 4:17 am

What a neat idea! I'd been hoping to start recording since my parents got a really nice mic for Christmas, but alas, backing tracks are few and far between. I'll see what I can do...

Give this a go... unfortunately the MIDI conversion has screwed the voices so it don't sound quite right.  But, hey, it's better than nothing, and you can always turn it down:

MIDI file (3k)
WAV file (5MB)

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/17/07 at 8:08 am

Wouldn't it be a hoot if Weird Al or Tom Lehrer would join in?

Hope this will be quite a successful venture, Spaff! (I am unable to join in, due to technological impairment)

Written By: Spaff.com on 05/18/07 at 10:00 am

Stuart: Heh heh. Thanks for the thought. And speaking of Rick Cormier, I just got his version. Yay! I added his name to the original post.

Kristof: Woo-hoo!

Wildcard: Listen to your heart. When it's calling for you. Listen to your heart. There's nothing else you can do.

Pippin: Woo-hoo!

Cat: Woo-hoo!

Philbo: Nice! Thanks for doing that.

Aggro: It wouldn't just be a hoot; it would be apocalyptic.

Thank you, everyone, for your interest. I'm VERY much looking forward to hearing your unique takes on this.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: wildcard on 05/18/07 at 10:55 am

Wildcard: Listen to your heart. When it's calling for you. Listen to your heart. There's nothing else you can do

Written By: wildcard on 05/19/07 at 7:49 pm

I've tried to send a little something  did you get it?

Written By: Peregrin on 05/20/07 at 2:26 am

Mr Spaff-man, send me a dream...  etc.

Can you please advise your absolute drop-dead final date for getting submissions ?

Obviously, whatever M&P come up with we will try to be within that as far as possible, but I am having to co-ordinate a few people with different parts of the process.

Your advice would be appreciated  :)

Written By: Spaff.com on 05/21/07 at 9:10 pm

Sorry for the delayed replies. I've been away.

Ann: Got it! Thanks! That was very cool of you. I'll definitely include it with the other greetings I present to Robert.

Pippin: May 30th, in order for there to be any chance of my getting it to the birthday boy on time. Earlier is always better, of course. I'm thrilled that y'all are considering joining the party.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: skittlesking on 05/21/07 at 9:30 pm

as the great great great great grandson (or his neighbour anyway) of the guy that wrote "Happy Birthday To You" who racks up record royalties each year for the use of his tune, I'm a little bit concerned about how he will react to the prospects of diminishing returns as your song gradually replaces it in the collective world consciousness, and makes you a rich (or richer) man indeed Spaff

nevertheless, I wish I'd thought of that  :\'(  and there is no better person to have a shot at pulling it off than you

as for my contribution, I tried recording once for Rick Cormier, and his enthusiasm for my talents was underwhelming :-[

Stu, do you prefer Stu or Stuart. . .you know Red Ant had a very negative opinion about his voice. . .Have you heard Foul Mouthed Me???  I don't know where you vocal talent stands, but often we are our OWN WORST CRITICS. . .I know I often think I sound like absolute crap, but you guys have convinced me otherwise. . .are you sure you are really as bad as you think you are, or perhaps it was just one bad recording. . .hmmmm . . .

Written By: skittlesking on 05/21/07 at 9:32 pm

Give this a go... unfortunately the MIDI conversion has screwed the voices so it don't sound quite right.  But, hey, it's better than nothing, and you can always turn it down:

MIDI file (3k)
WAV file (5MB)

I'm gonna remix the midi with Anvil!

Written By: The Charnstar on 05/22/07 at 6:06 am

I shall buy a microphone tomorrow after Tafe and record once I get home. I'm not a good singer, but I can sing really high pitch which is cool in it's own way

Written By: philbo on 05/22/07 at 6:31 am

I'm gonna remix the midi with Anvil!

Could you repost the mixed midi as a WAV/MP3?

Written By: Rick Cormier on 05/22/07 at 9:26 am

Hold on there a second Stu, I have no problem with your talents, you are one of my favorite parodists. The only problem I had with your recording was the below-average quality of the microphone, not your voice. If that was the impression I gave at the time, I humbly apologize to you, sir. You have nothing but my respect.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 05/22/07 at 4:51 pm

The only problem I had with your recording was the below-average quality of the microphone, not your voice. If that was the impression I gave at the time, I humbly apologize to you, sir. You have nothing but my respect.

LOL - I know, Rick - I was just using you (and a little liberty) as my excuse, when the real reason is that my computer seems to be the problem as a second mike also didn't get the volume up - and I'm too self-conscious to trawl the neighbourhood asking if I can borrow another family's computer-room for an evening so I can bellow at it :-[

Written By: Rick Cormier on 05/23/07 at 3:57 pm

LOL - I know, Rick - I was just using you (and a little liberty) as my excuse, when the real reason is that my computer seems to be the problem as a second mike also didn't get the volume up - and I'm too self-conscious to trawl the neighbourhood asking if I can borrow another family's computer-room for an evening so I can bellow at it :-[

Stu, are you using Windows? If so, which version?

Written By: KKay on 05/23/07 at 4:03 pm

I'm going to have to give it a go.  I'll try by tomorrow.  Great idea and i love the song.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 05/24/07 at 2:19 am

I would gladly participate...if I my voice didn't suck. And I had a way to make the music my own version.

We need BAD to tell us what program he uses to make his backing tracks!

Written By: Spaff.com on 05/24/07 at 9:49 pm

Charnstar: Woo-hoo!
Belle du Jour: Woo-hoo!
Everybody who kinda wishes they *could*: Thanks for the positive vibes.

Check out the updated first post in this thread. The list of luminaries is growing.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: skittlesking on 05/24/07 at 9:56 pm

I would gladly participate...if I my voice didn't suck. And I had a way to make the music my own version.

We need BAD to tell us what program he uses to make his backing tracks!

Ok, Ok, I'll get it done. . .

ANVIL STUDIOS:)

It's free, it's easy to use. . .I love Anvil, I can work a lot with any midi. . .and that's why most of mine sound pretty decent;)  I'll work on mine tonight, and Phil. . .I'll try to upload a mp3 of the midi altered as I used it. . .

Written By: wildcard on 05/24/07 at 10:52 pm

I have also received an original parody composition from our own Ann Hammond.

our own! I didn't do anything special 

Written By: Peregrin on 05/25/07 at 8:18 am

Spaff...

Done, on behalf of Merry and myself, and sent to your email addy  :)

Written By: Spaff.com on 05/25/07 at 11:38 am

Dave/Phil: Thanks for your work with the MIDIs. Hopefully they'll draw some contributors out of the woodwork.

Ann: "Our own" because you're a fellow site contributor. And it *is* special.

Pippin: Hooray for your lovely Aussie-tinged version! I just emailed you back.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: skittlesking on 05/25/07 at 6:29 pm

Guys. . .

anyone who wants my altered midi, reply with your email, or PM it to me, I have it saved. . .

I removed the vocals, and altered the instruments slightly. . .

Written By: Peregrin on 05/25/07 at 10:30 pm

Pippin: Hooray for your lovely Aussie-tinged version! I just emailed you back.

Ah.  Good.  Dinnae forget though, it is me and Merry, if you listen closely you can hear her Ohio/Cal-I-Forn-Eye-Aye twang behind my tinge.  It gives it a necessary 'softening'  ;)

Written By: Spaff.com on 05/26/07 at 6:11 pm

Ah.  Good.  Dinnae forget though, it is me and Merry, if you listen closely you can hear her Ohio/Cal-I-Forn-Eye-Aye twang behind my tinge.  It gives it a necessary 'softening'  ;)

Of course! Of course! It's like Rolf Harris meets Chrissie Hynde. Heh heh.

And I received Below Average Dave's recording (hooray, B.A.D.!) which puts us up to nine. Who's gonna make it a perfect ten?

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Meriadoc on 05/26/07 at 11:47 pm

Of course! Of course! It's like Rolf Harris meets

Chrissie Hynde.

Heh heh. Same home town... ;)

Written By: The Charnstar on 05/27/07 at 1:40 am

Well, I've recorded it, but it can't send it at home, so I'll try on Wednesday at TAFE.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 05/28/07 at 7:18 am

DONE!!!

Emailed to you today, Spaff.....it's, well....it's ummmm......different..... ;)

Written By: Spaff.com on 05/29/07 at 11:39 pm

Charnstar: I'm looking forward to it!

Kristof: Thank you times FIVE! Check your email.

Philbo: Thank you and the whole fam damily! Check your email too.

Everyone: Thanks for catching the spirit of this! It's turning out great.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: The Charnstar on 05/30/07 at 7:22 am

Damn it, Tafe wouldn't let me, so is it cool if I do it early Friday morn?

Written By: Spaff.com on 05/31/07 at 1:53 pm

Here is the track listing of the CD being presented to Robert for his birthday:

1. Hey Birthday Boy (Sod It) – Phil, Nonie, Richard, Edmund & Cecilia Alexander
2. Hey Birthday Boy – Jake Waters
3. Robert Lund Birthday Greeting – Karl Brown
4. Hey Birthday Boy – Karl Brown
5. Hey Birthday Boy – Rick Duncan
6. Hey Birthday Boy – Bob Guest
7. Hey Birthday Boy – The Charnstars
8. Robert Lund Birthday Greeting – Rick Cormier
9. Hey Birthday Boy – Rick Cormier
10. Hey Birthday Boy – Below Average Dave
11. Hey Birthday Boy – Sudden Death
12. Hey Birthday Boy – Merry & Pippin (Piano improv by Roslyn Cossins)
13. Hey Birthday Boy – Tom Smith
14. Hey Birthday Boy – Kriestoph Socrates Robertsonopoulis
Hey Birthday Boy – Special K and The Beast
Hey Birthday Boy – DJ Kristof and Professor Steven Hawking
Hey Birthday Boy – The Insultan of Swing
Hey Birthday Boy – Kristof Expressly
15. Hey Birthday Boy – Phil, Nonie & Edmund Alexander
16. Hey Birthday Boy/The Sound of Violence – Dee Range
17. Happy Birthday – Art Paul Schlosser
18. Sweet Dreams on Your Birthday – Ann Hammond

As promised, I will also make a CD compiling the versions of "Hey Birthday Boy" and "Hey Birthday Girl" and send it to some comedy DJs along with everyone who participated. Or who still will participate. BECAUSE IT'S NOT TOO LATE. I'm going to be offline for about a month, so the "real" CD realistically won't happen until July. That means that anyone else who wants to participate still can do so.

There are some GREAT versions, and I've had requests from non-participants who want them all, so I'll figure out a way to get them out to the public. Probably July for that too.

Meanwhile, thank you many times over to those of you who jumped in and participated! Fabulous creativity. Fabulous fun. Y'all rule.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Jack Wilson on 05/31/07 at 2:43 pm

DJ Kristof? You mean Kristof sent TWO? or THREE?

BTW check your PMs

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 06/04/07 at 3:55 am

DJ Kristof? You mean Kristof sent TWO? or THREE?

BTW check your PMs

it was actually 5, Jack...all the artistes listed on number 14 are yours truly; I started with 1 and couldn't stop!

Written By: Jack Wilson on 06/04/07 at 9:47 am

it was actually 5, Jack...all the artistes listed on number 14 are yours truly; I started with 1 and couldn't stop!
Whoa! Thats a lot! How'd ya manage to do that? and did ya have that much time on your hands?

Written By: Spaff.com on 06/06/07 at 12:36 am

Yes, it's true. Kriestoph Socrates Robertsonopoulis, Special K and The Beast, DJ Kristof and Professor Steven Hawking, The Insultan of Swing, and Kristof Expressly are all Kristof Robertson. And all five of the versions are great. I'll figure out a way to get Kristof's and all the other versions out to the public. The rest of this month is pretty much toast for me, so I'm shootin' for July.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Rick Cormier on 07/10/07 at 4:48 am

Yes, it's true. Kriestoph Socrates Robertsonopoulis, Special K and The Beast, DJ Kristof and Professor Steven Hawking, The Insultan of Swing, and Kristof Expressly are all Kristof Robertson. And all five of the versions are great. I'll figure out a way to get Kristof's and all the other versions out to the public. The rest of this month is pretty much toast for me, so I'm shootin' for July.

xoxox
Spaff
So...Spaff, when are ya gonna tell us how the party went and post the various incarnations of the song? You've got us all in suspense here.

Written By: Spaff.com on 07/10/07 at 10:16 pm

So...Spaff, when are ya gonna tell us how the party went and post the various incarnations of the song? You've got us all in suspense here.

Sorry to suspend you! The party was stellar. It was a surprise party thrown by Robert's girlfriend and she pulled it off perfectly. He had no clue. It was outdoors with a buffet, open bar, live band (an excellent Beatles tribute band, no less) and lots of friends and family. I got to hang out with radio personalities who I've listened to for years but had never met. I also got to conduct the band and assembled multitudes in a singalong of "Ain't Gray Hair Neat" (a parody of "Eight Days a Week").

Then, my favorite part: I told everyone about the "Hey Birthday Boy" project and how I'd received 18 versions of the song from all across the planet, then had the sound guy play a few of them so that everyone could get a taste of y'all's talent and variety. The crowd ate it up. I presented the whole collection to Robert, who thought it was great.

Because it WAS great. Or, rather, IS great. My goal is to get a CD printed for all participants (and Dr. Demento, et al.) by the end of this month. Then I'll figure out a way to get everything online and downloadable so that the huddled masses can sing along.

Many more thanks to everyone who participated! It turned out even better than I'd hoped. Y'all rule.

xoxox
Spaff

Check for new replies or respond here...