inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: LET ME STATE FOR THE RECORD....

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/18/07 at 8:00 am

In re: http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/tompetty47.shtml

I AM NOT THE AUTHOR OF THIS PARODY.

I HAVE NOT, AND NEVER WILL, WRITE PARODY SONGS OF THIS NATURE

I HAVE NOT, AND NEVER WILL, POST "REVENGE" VOTES

I HAVE NO OBJECTIONS TOWARDS THE WRITING OF POSITIVE "TRIBUTE" PARODY SONGS.

(I MUST ALSO STATE FOR THE RECORD THAT I DO NOT COUNT HOW MANY WORDS OF A SONG PARODY ARE THE SAME AS THE OS WHEN I CRITIQUE IT. THAT IS A WASTE OF TIME)

I have been unjustly accused and no further message board and parody comments of this nature should be believed or continued.

Shame on all of you. >:(

Subject: Re: LET ME STATE FOR THE RECORD....

Written By: spaceace on 06/18/07 at 8:28 am

You're much more creative than that.  Besides I don't think that's much of a parody.

Written By: wildcard on 06/18/07 at 1:41 pm

I saw this parody and decided to stay away from it long before someone tried to be Sherlock Cute.

Written By: EthanM on 06/18/07 at 2:05 pm

So this is the somewhat infamous anonymous parody that I've heard a little about...

I don't think that anyone suspected that I wrote it, and I didn't write it, but I'd like to use this space to say how I feel about the topics raised.

Amiright is a community that caters to site regulars as well as the general public that may find a parody through google searches and links from various sources. It is a good thing that people can get a guarantee of at least some feedback regarding their work by building a relationship with other writers - it's called networking - although ideally community members would give honest feedback in exchange for honest feedback instead of fives for fives.

The problem with the rating system, or at least one problem, is that there's no concrete guidelines and it may be impossible to set them. Sure, people shouldn't give all 5s to parodies just for agreeing with the main contention and ones for disagreeing with it, but there are various other options. You could vote based on academic standards, with 5s being As, 4s being Bs, and so on...or you can vote based on percentiles with parodies better than 80% of those you've seen gettings 5s, those better than 60% getting 4s and so on...or you could do more of a bell curve with only the very best getting 5s and only the very worst getting ones with most somewhere in the middle...or, and this isn't ideal but I've done it, you can vote on someone's parody relative to the other work of the same author although a parody of identical quality by a different author might get a different score. Because of the wide range of quality that can earn the same score, to offer truly useful feedback one needs to leave a comment. Unfortunately (almost) nobody has time to do this for every submitted parody, which is why people often end up just commenting on parodies by peoplel who commented on their work.

This reciprocity seems like the fair thing to do, but I doubt that it's actually the most productive. Especially when the commenting consists primarily of compliments and witty reflections on the subject matter when the time and effort can be spent offering advice to newer authors who might actually take it into consideration. Participating in the community, through voting and even the occasional parody paying tribute to a writer that you feel deserves more attention, is a good way to get noticed but it shouldn't be the only way. Success through pure talent SHOULD be possible, and I have an idea that might help foster that even with Chucky's continued opposition to the charts, and hopefully I won't find too much opposition when I try to put it into action. Also, while checking out the work of people who you know through the community should be encouraged, nobody should have to read parodies of someone consistently putting out work that they don't like, even if you like the other parodist as a person.

That's it for now. I hope that this isn't considered hijacking the thread. Feel free to discuss...civilly of course.  

Written By: skittlesking on 06/18/07 at 5:43 pm

In re: http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/tompetty47.shtml

I AM NOT THE AUTHOR OF THIS PARODY.

I HAVE NOT, AND NEVER WILL, WRITE PARODY SONGS OF THIS NATURE

I HAVE NOT, AND NEVER WILL, POST "REVENGE" VOTES

I HAVE NO OBJECTIONS TOWARDS THE WRITING OF POSITIVE "TRIBUTE" PARODY SONGS.

(I MUST ALSO STATE FOR THE RECORD THAT I DO NOT COUNT HOW MANY WORDS OF A SONG PARODY ARE THE SAME AS THE OS WHEN I CRITIQUE IT. THAT IS A WASTE OF TIME)

I have been unjustly accused and no further message board and parody comments of this nature should be believed or continued.

Shame on all of you. >:(

I realize you mean that last line towards those who have said it was your piece which means I am not directly targeted. . .I, as I have stated elsewhere, do not like arguments. . .the majority of us are just trying to stay out of the crossfire of whatever is going on in that parody. . .

I personally think it is an attack parody of sorts and since it is causing so much arguing between people that it should be deleted. . .

I'm going to do my best to ignore what happened with that parody as I cannot see IP addresses or anything else. . .I have heard from a few different people a few different things, however I myself can't verify things and I already have drama with one person on AmIRight, I will sit out and I myself am done reading comments on that parody. . .I personally am not even offended enough by the parody (though I find it quite shocking) to care who wrote it anymore - -I am confused by it more than anything

Sincerely,
Dave

Check for new replies or respond here...