inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The amiright blog experiment

Written By: EthanM on 07/04/07 at 3:06 pm

I decided to start a blog about amiright, which should be updated daily. I'll be reading every single submission to the site and writing at least a line or two about each, with the hope that people reading it might decide to read parodies that they would otherwise skip as well as getting all my feedback to the day's parodies in one place without having to deal with dozens of submissions forms. I'm also linking to the 3 parodies that I consider the best of the day, and I might do something like a weekly and monthly top ten according to me. Since bringing back the charts is out of the question, I think this is the next best thing.

I wrote my post for today...it's a lot of work but I think it'll be worth it. It's at www.amirightdaily.blogspot.com

Feel free to let me know what you think, over here or over there.

Subject: Re: The amiright blog experiment

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/04/07 at 4:00 pm

I decided to start a blog about amiright, which should be updated daily. I'll be reading every single submission to the site and writing at least a line or two about each, with the hope that people reading it might decide to read parodies that they would otherwise skip as well as getting all my feedback to the day's parodies in one place without having to deal with dozens of submissions forms. I'm also linking to the 3 parodies that I consider the best of the day, and I might do something like a weekly and monthly top ten according to me. Since bringing back the charts is out of the question, I think this is the next best thing.

I wrote my post for today...it's a lot of work but I think it'll be worth it. It's at www.amirightdaily.blogspot.com

cool idea.  If it works out well, and others are interested, maybe I can integrate something like that into the site for others to do as well.

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/05/07 at 7:55 am

I decided to start a blog about amiright, which should be updated daily. I'll be reading every single submission to the site and writing at least a line or two about each, ... I'm also linking to the 3 parodies that I consider the best of the day, and I might do something like a weekly and monthly top ten according to me. Since bringing back the charts is out of the question, I think this is the next best thing.

Good luck, Eth. That's quite a committment to make (wish I could do the same!)

I hope people who don't particularly agree with your honest comments don't engage you in a flame-war, or worse. (having been there...)

Written By: Matthias on 07/05/07 at 11:17 am

If John Barry decides to do another 99 songs in a day you're going to be busy for quite awhile  ;)

Written By: EthanM on 07/05/07 at 3:09 pm

99 songs in a day would be brutal. It took me a couple of hours to do my post today about 13 songs, although I may have gone into more detail because of their being less songs. I also don't fear flame wars since they are better than no feedback whatsoever.

Written By: Matthias on 07/05/07 at 4:11 pm

I like this, but how long do you think you can keep this day to day Amiright blog up? It's going to be tough.

Written By: EthanM on 07/05/07 at 4:40 pm

It will be tough, but for the forseeable future I should have enough free time in the tutoring lab (work) to get it done and it's not like I need to be creative. Hopefully as I keep doing this it will get easier.

Written By: EthanM on 07/06/07 at 7:20 pm

It hasn't gotten any easier yet. I hope to see some evidence of people reading soon.

Written By: Matthias on 07/06/07 at 7:58 pm

I guess putting me as 1st for the day, is a lot better than your last place the day before.

Written By: wildcard on 07/06/07 at 9:35 pm

wow! EthanM

Written By: EthanM on 07/06/07 at 9:35 pm

You earned it this time, and my intention is not to judge the top three rankings based on who wrote it.

Written By: Rex on 07/07/07 at 8:22 am

I don't see a way to comment over there. Do I have to subscribe before I can post?

Written By: EthanM on 07/07/07 at 9:37 am

I fixed the settings so now anyone can comment.

Written By: EthanM on 07/13/07 at 2:36 pm

The blog experiment is going well from a getting it done standpoint, and the weekly interactive top ten post coming up this weekend should be a good benchmark of how it's doing with readers. I've gotten a few comments(all from writers) and those have been nice.

Written By: John Jenkins on 07/13/07 at 3:58 pm

The blog experiment is going well from a getting it done standpoint, and the weekly interactive top ten post coming up this weekend should be a good benchmark of how it's doing with readers. I've gotten a few comments(all from writers) and those have been nice.

Ethan - I commend you for your commitment to your expeiment.  I hope that you are able to get enough feedback to keep it going.  I meant to leave more comments on the blog,  but I misplaced the password.

A lot of writers who probably have not yet visited your blog would really appreciate the things that you have written about them.  And even some of us who might not appreciate your comments might learn something from them.

Aside from the number of comments you are getting, can you tell how many hits your blog is getting?

Written By: EthanM on 07/13/07 at 4:35 pm

I would be able to tell from adsense except I typed the wrong address in (i think). I'll try to fix that and maybe i'll know how many unique hits it gets.

Written By: ETM on 07/14/07 at 7:26 pm

My computer won't let me sign in for some reason, but i'd like to say that my interactive voting thread for the week is up, and I'd like to see at least a few votes. The thread is here:

http://amirightdaily.blogspot.com/2007/07/week-1-top-ten-interactive-post.html

Written By: EthanM on 07/17/07 at 9:16 am

I had very little computer access yesterday, so I'll try to do yesterday and today's posts today.

Written By: EthanM on 07/18/07 at 12:39 pm

The experiment is not going well at the moment. I keep running into problems like lack of computer access, then being tired all day (my fault) and now due to terrible weather I may have to spend much of today waiting for or riding the bus. There also doesn't seem to be the interest that I'd hoped, and I think that it's been taing away energy that I could use for other things like actually writing parodies (haven't actually done that for at least a month). No matter how much I tell myself that it's not necessary to write as much as I have been about each parody, I've been doing it anyway and it can be quite draining.

I'm thinking that from now on I should just do a top 3, and list a couple of runners up as well as ones that might disturb people.

If I can't get more feedback on my interactive post then it'll be hard to find motivation to do it at all.

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/18/07 at 1:19 pm

For me, Ethan, it's difficult to vote in another "contest" on a weekly basis, let alone monthly, to give fair and equal reading to all nominees. While an admirable idea, it's not something that I have an overriding interest in.

I have noticed you have fallen behind on the daily entries. Maybe a weekly report highlighting the good and the bad stuff you noticed, and maybe further discussions on other trends and events in the Amiright world should be the direction your blog should take. What sucks though, is you won't get as much traffic without constantly plugging it here. I don't know what else to add to encourage your efforts except "Good luck", dude.

Check for new replies or respond here...