inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Latest Thing: Freestyle Parody!

Written By: Red Ant on 07/06/07 at 12:59 am

During my trip to Tampa to see Below Average Dave, one of the things we did was play Karaoke Revolution on PlayStation 2. Singing to OSs that were, aside from the choruses, mainly unknown to me was a bit frustrating at first. I did manage a great score on Unchained Melody my first time....

Anyway, on day three or four, we started screwing with the OS lyrics while singing, making impromptu or freestyle parody. The only thing that sucked about this was not having the ability to record our way WAY off paced but hilarious results. Then the idea came: move the TV and PS2 into the bedroom, mic the TV to the computer and record our freestyle parodies!

We recorded half a dozen or so when, much to our dismay, we realized the karaoke tracks had backing vocals that interfeared with our spontaneous creativity. We cut those vocals out and proceeded to record many more tracks - most of which will be on whatfreaks at some point, lol.

We had an absolute BLAST doing parodies this way for several reasons:

~All of our recordings and parody lyrics were on the spot ala "Whose Line Is It Anyway"
~Very decent backing tracks were at hand
~Recordings were done as soon as the karaoke track ended. Hardly any editing was involved.
~Several of these were very funny. Dave recorded one that, to make any sense at all, would require him being a pregnant transsexual lesbian. I butchered one song so badly that my character died - that was to Irene Cara's "Fame".
~No lengthy writing sessions were involved. Matter of fact, NO writing was involved, except for Dave typing my "Fame" parody as I sang it (we thought of micing the TV later, so unfortunately no recording exists of that one).

Anyone with a PS2 or karaoke machine, second mic, recording software (Audacity is free and MUCH easier to use than everything I've paid money for), and a computer can do this. Although most of our recordings didn't change a whole lot from TOS, it was probably the most fun I've ever had doing karaokedy (karaoke-parody).

Some of our results will be up on badave.com in the near future. Laugh at us or with us, but I hope you will be laughing.  :D

Subject: Re: The Latest Thing: Freestyle Parody!

Written By: Matthias on 07/06/07 at 12:06 pm

Sounds like you guys had a blast, I'll have to stop by Tampa some day in the future

Written By: skittlesking on 07/06/07 at 12:40 pm

Sounds like you guys had a blast, I'll have to stop by Tampa some day in the future

My door is always open.

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 07/06/07 at 3:52 pm

Sounds like fun, I should check it out sometime. By the way, I like to call it Parody-oke. But that's just me.

Written By: wildcard on 07/06/07 at 5:04 pm

Sounds like so much fun

Written By: Step-chan on 07/06/07 at 6:42 pm

Cool, can't wait. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...