inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Parody Author Bio editor available

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/06/07 at 10:26 am

if you're in the 25+ parody category and want the ability to edit your bio (instead of sending it to me in email), just shoot me a PM or an email and I'll give you the location of the script to edit your bio. 

It uses your author password, so make sure you've sent in a parody with the password field filled in.

Subject: Re: New Parody Author Bio editor available

Written By: Rex on 07/06/07 at 11:00 am

I never used a password before, so I entered a parody and put something in the password field. It told me "password doesn't match the one on file" and wouldn't let me submit. I removed the entry in the password field and was able to submit it. Using Firefox 2.0.0.4.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/06/07 at 1:09 pm

I never used a password before, so I entered a parody and put something in the password field. It told me "password doesn't match the one on file" and wouldn't let me submit. I removed the entry in the password field and was able to submit it. Using Firefox 2.0.0.4.

ugh... looks like there's a bug, where it saves a blank password if you don't normally use a password.  I'll have to fix that.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/09/07 at 12:31 pm

Everything should be working now.  I made some changes to it, so it no longer requires a parody update for the changes or creation of your bio to appear on your author page.

Written By: Rex on 07/09/07 at 4:28 pm

It works great! I did notice that it was putting backslashes in front of apostrophes though. I removed all the contractions from my bio to get around that.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/09/07 at 5:56 pm

It works great! I did notice that it was putting backslashes in front of apostrophes though. I removed all the contractions from my bio to get around that.

ahh.... I know what that is... I'll fix it.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/09/07 at 6:05 pm

ahh.... I know what that is... I'll fix it.

done... along with another improvement I thought I did, but must have forgotten.  The script now reads in the existing bio so you can just modify the old one if you want.

Written By: Johnny_D on 07/10/07 at 12:00 pm

I highly recommend taking advantage of Chucky G's new parody author bio editor.  I just updated my bio -- the editor lets you embed photos in your text:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/authors/johnnyd.shtml

Thanks, Chucky!  ;D

Written By: skittlesking on 07/10/07 at 12:08 pm

I highly recommend taking advantage of Chucky G's new parody author bio editor.  I just updated my bio -- the editor lets you embed photos in your text:

Thanks, Chucky!  ;D

OOOOOOO

How cool, I didn't realize Chucky had set it up like that. . .great job Chucky G!

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/10/07 at 2:44 pm

OOOOOOO

How cool, I didn't realize Chucky had set it up like that. . .great job Chucky G!

it's pretty wide open at the moment.  Any HTML you want to stick in there is fine.  It shouldn't have the header portion, just the part that would appear inside of the body tags.

The fact that it's wide open like that, is one of the reasons I don't want the URL posted to the log in page.  Tempting target for someone to hack into it if they can stick raw HTML on the site (could embed a link to a virus, etc.).  It's probably pretty secure, but best not to take chances.

Written By: skittlesking on 07/10/07 at 4:42 pm

it's pretty wide open at the moment.  Any HTML you want to stick in there is fine.  It shouldn't have the header portion, just the part that would appear inside of the body tags.

The fact that it's wide open like that, is one of the reasons I don't want the URL posted to the log in page.   Tempting target for someone to hack into it if they can stick raw HTML on the site (could embed a link to a virus, etc.).  It's probably pretty secure, but best not to take chances.

Certainly. . .Agree 100%

Written By: philbo on 07/11/07 at 1:59 pm

Thanks, Chucky!  ;D

Can I be really pernickety and point out that the images are linked rather than embedded?  And if external images are allowed, this means we can add in a hit counter... Something like this:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/authors/philalexander.shtml

(have to say it's a vast improvement on the old bio)

Thanks, Chucky :-)

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/11/07 at 8:15 pm

Can I be really pernickety and point out that the images are linked rather than embedded?  And if external images are allowed, this means we can add in a hit counter... Something like this:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/authors/philalexander.shtml

(have to say it's a vast improvement on the old bio)

Thanks, Chucky :-)

If wanted, I could also add in the ability for authors to place a small snippet of code into all their parodies for a hit counter.

Written By: Johnny_D on 07/11/07 at 9:46 pm

If wanted, I could also add in the ability for authors to place a small snippet of code into all their parodies for a hit counter.

A hit counter would be great, Chucky -- thanks!  :)

Written By: skittlesking on 07/11/07 at 9:56 pm

Brilliant on that one--I love that idea.

Written By: philbo on 07/12/07 at 1:20 am

I'd go with a standard hit counter, too: means you don't have to have the "sponsor's link" in there, too.

Many thanks :D

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/12/07 at 8:36 am

I'd go with a standard hit counter, too: means you don't have to have the "sponsor's link" in there, too.

Many thanks :D

standard hit counter?  you mean something on the site itself?  I could easily code my own, I'm just not certain what effect it will have on the server, which is why I've hesitated to implement one in the past.

Written By: philbo on 07/12/07 at 3:55 pm

Sorry, I misunderstood: thought you were talking about coding one of your own - did you mean allow a java scripted counter?  Are they any more efficient than the php-image-return type of counter?

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/12/07 at 5:01 pm

Sorry, I misunderstood: thought you were talking about coding one of your own - did you mean allow a java scripted counter?  Are they any more efficient than the php-image-return type of counter?

I just meant anything that gets served from a third party site.  I'm not sure what the proper way to go is at the moment, but it's something that's been asked for a few times (a hit counter) and certainly would be useful for everyone.

Written By: lpg_unit on 07/12/07 at 6:30 pm

And I'm still working for more parodies, just to take advantage of the bio stuff...

Written By: philbo on 07/13/07 at 1:25 am

I just meant anything that gets served from a third party site.  I'm not sure what the proper way to go is at the moment, but it's something that's been asked for a few times (a hit counter) and certainly would be useful for everyone.

It currently works for the third-party image-based counters (I've stuck one on my author page), but the first one or two that I looked at were Javascript & I wasn't sure about using that.  The one I'm using is a php call in an image tag, but one that requires a couple of sponsor's links or it'll disable the counter.  If anyone's got a better suggestion, I'd be quite willing to hear it.

Check for new replies or respond here...