inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hit counter on parodies now

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/13/07 at 12:06 pm

It's super, super primitive.  Sit there and hit refresh a million times, you'll have a million hits.  It's only designed for your own self-edification, and I wanted to keep the server load light.  If it doesn't appear to have a big impact on the server, I'll see about making it a little more robust for tracking IP addresses and what not.

Subject: Re: Hit counter on parodies now

Written By: Johnny_D on 07/13/07 at 1:01 pm

It's super, super primitive.  Sit there and hit refresh a million times, you'll have a million hits.  It's only designed for your own self-edification, and I wanted to keep the server load light.  If it doesn't appear to have a big impact on the server, I'll see about making it a little more robust for tracking IP addresses and what not.

It appears to have a bug - if a parody says this is view #1 and you press refresh, the number jumps to #4.

Written By: philbo on 07/13/07 at 1:07 pm

It appears to have a bug - if a parody says this is view #1 and you press refresh, the number jumps to #4.

It could be that two other people somewhere else in the world had a look in the time it took to refresh... I picked a parody at random and got #1, then hit refresh and it went to #2

What fun!  Thanks, Chucky  :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/13/07 at 1:19 pm

if it's on the front page of the site right now, it's entirely likely it's getting seen often.

it did have a bug for the first five minutes on the site, where everyone had the same count, but I fixed it pretty quickly when I realize what I did wrong.

Written By: Johnny_D on 07/13/07 at 1:21 pm

if it's on the front page of the site right now, it's entirely likely it's getting seen often.

it did have a bug for the first five minutes on the site, where everyone had the same count, but I fixed it pretty quickly when I realize what I did wrong.

The #1-jump-to-#4 phenomenon occurred on two old parodies of mine that are not on the front page.

Written By: Rex on 07/13/07 at 1:47 pm

I kinda like the idea of a random counter... 

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/16/07 at 10:14 am

I reset it today, and re-wrote the script to track the IP address to cut down on duplicate hits. Not fool proof, but will get a more useful metric than the simple method.

I'll be adding it to the author pages at some point, but I'm holding off until some data builds up

Written By: philbo on 07/16/07 at 10:18 am

Ah, that explains one thing, anyway: I was looking at a parody I'd just mentioned in another forum, and saw maybe a dozen hits that couldn't have been down to me.  Then when I refreshed, it went back to #1... does this mean the counters got reset, or all the hits were down to Firefox somehow refreshing multiple times? (If you see what I mean)

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/16/07 at 10:51 am

Ah, that explains one thing, anyway: I was looking at a parody I'd just mentioned in another forum, and saw maybe a dozen hits that couldn't have been down to me.  Then when I refreshed, it went back to #1... does this mean the counters got reset, or all the hits were down to Firefox somehow refreshing multiple times? (If you see what I mean)

I removed all the old hits, because I don't think they were accurate in any fashion.  The new hits should be better, but will under count if a lot of people sharing an IP address hit a parody.

If someone wants to feel self-important, they can always inflate their hits by using proxies or changing their IP address.  Which is why you won't be seeing a "this parody has x amount of hits" type of thing anytime soon.

Written By: philbo on 07/23/07 at 12:35 pm

A question, Chucky: I was noticing that hits have turned up on the parody author page - many thanks, it's a great idea.  But I can't quite believe that all but a handful of my 700+ parodies have been viewed three or more times already - might a bot be causing those hits, or is there really that much happening out there?

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/23/07 at 12:55 pm

A question, Chucky: I was noticing that hits have turned up on the parody author page - many thanks, it's a great idea.  But I can't quite believe that all but a handful of my 700+ parodies have been viewed three or more times already - might a bot be causing those hits, or is there really that much happening out there?

a bot will register the same as a person, so it is quite likely a bot could be causing that.  On the other hand, the site does see a lot of traffic, so anything is possible

Written By: philbo on 07/26/07 at 1:19 pm

Most unexpected... I did a quick scan to see how many hits some parodies have had.  That my "I hate Britney Spears" had clocked up 80 plus didn't surprise me over much... but this one has had over 100 hits (with no extra comments - I guess a lot of people are turning up there by mistake): Quotes in cod Latin

..I'd love to know the search strings that took 'em there ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/26/07 at 1:53 pm

Most unexpected... I did a quick scan to see how many hits some parodies have had.  That my "I hate Britney Spears" had clocked up 80 plus didn't surprise me over much... but this one has had over 100 hits (with no extra comments - I guess a lot of people are turning up there by mistake): Quotes in cod Latin

..I'd love to know the search strings that took 'em there ;)

I get a report from google about the pages on my site with the highest "page rank" and these two parodies you did always score as the highest (no idea why, or what the other pages rank)

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/thebeatles700.shtml
http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/dustyspringfield4.shtml

Written By: philbo on 07/26/07 at 3:43 pm

How very odd... both science-ish sort of parodies - I guess the brownian motion one must be 'cause of all the students out there given essays to do on the subject (I wonder how many have included it as part of their homework?)... but I can't see many being given essays to do on n-dimensional space.

Thanks for that, Chucky - it's put a smile on my face... a rather quizzical smile.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/26/07 at 3:48 pm

How very odd... both science-ish sort of parodies - I guess the brownian motion one must be 'cause of all the students out there given essays to do on the subject (I wonder how many have included it as part of their homework?)... but I can't see many being given essays to do on n-dimensional space.

Thanks for that, Chucky - it's put a smile on my face... a rather quizzical smile.

my guess, is that people with .edu domains are linking to it.  Google loves links to sites from .edu domains because they tend to have a lot less spam.

Check for new replies or respond here...