inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Red Ant Now Has A Few Recordings!

Written By: Red Ant on 07/17/07 at 1:22 am

Hey all!

I've gotten a few requests to do recordings here and there, mainly on songs I have parodied. I haven't forgot about those, however I have made a few recordings which you may enjoy.

In case you haven't heard it yet, I shamelessly promote my recording of my parody of Eminem's "Without Me" called "Foul Mouthed Me":

Foul Mouthed Me

(caution, adult lyrics)

Also, I have recorded my karaoke-parody (aka "freestyle/impromptu parody") of "It's The End Of The World As We Know It". The recording didn't turn out as well quality-wise as I had hoped, then again, micing a stereo TV in mono and not being a professional sound engineer tends to give less than perfect results:

REM Makes Me Hurl With Their Lyrics

(caution, some adult lyrics)

Regardless of the sound quality, I had an absolute blast recording this.

There are a few other recordings of mine, and Below Average Dave's: see http://badave.com/official/karaoke/ for the rest

(warning, most are whatfreakers, lol)

Ant

Subject: Re: Red Ant Now Has A Few Recordings!

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 07/18/07 at 7:32 am

Hey all!

I've gotten a few requests to do recordings here and there, mainly on songs I have parodied. I haven't forgot about those, however I have made a few recordings which you may enjoy.

In case you haven't heard it yet, I shamelessly promote my recording of my parody of Eminem's "Without Me" called "Foul Mouthed Me":

Foul Mouthed Me

(caution, adult lyrics)

Also, I have recorded my karaoke-parody (aka "freestyle/impromptu parody") of "It's The End Of The World As We Know It". The recording didn't turn out as well quality-wise as I had hoped, then again, micing a stereo TV in mono and not being a professional sound engineer tends to give less than perfect results:

REM Makes Me Hurl With Their Lyrics

(caution, some adult lyrics)

Regardless of the sound quality, I had an absolute blast recording this.

There are a few other recordings of mine, and Below Average Dave's: see http://badave.com/official/karaoke/ for the rest

(warning, most are whatfreakers, lol)

Ant

I can't wait to hear the REM one, Jack! Unfortunately my work PC has no sound, so I'll have to wait until I get home.

Written By: philbo on 07/18/07 at 1:35 pm

Super, Jack - lots of fun :)

One tip - something I've got noticeably better at over the time I've been recording - if you listen to my early stuff, there's quite a few "pops" on the hard consonants ("p"s and "b"s), and there were a few in the REM recording.  Two ways of reducing popping: one is using some kind of filter in the way (e.g. a layer of foam, but it does have to be the right sort of foam - when I tried doing that, it really deadened the whole sound so I started soundling like Kurt Kobain just after he'd committed suicide), the other is not actually singing straight into the mike - I currently use a headset mike placed just to one side.  Picks up the vocals a treat, but no pops any more.  Alternatively, buy a decent mike (Shure SM57s come highly recommended, but out of my price range at the moment).

Written By: Step-chan on 07/18/07 at 3:02 pm

I can't wait to hear the REM one, Jack! Unfortunately my work PC has no sound, so I'll have to wait until I get home.

I listened to it, pretty good(the net tended to have problems though when I had more than one bar up, I'm at the library right now. Can't wait to get my computer at home cleansed of the spyware).

Written By: Red Ant on 07/19/07 at 7:03 pm

Thanks everyone.

Excellent tips, Phil. We actually used a Shure SM58 to mic the TV, however the mic I was singing into was the one that comes with the PS2 and, of course, had no pop filter. We knew to some extent there were going to be plosives in the recording, especially as loud as I was singing.

In the future, with the karaokedies anyway, we'll probably record the backing tracks onto the computer first with the Shure, then use the same mic w/ pop screen to do the vocals. That will eliminate not only the pops, but also the 'reverb' effect of having two mics pic up one voice slightly out of time with each other due to latency, as well as the odd 'flanging' effect that we didn't initially realize was in the recordings (most noticeable in the very beginning and end of ITEOTWAWKI).  I think that unintended effect was the result of placing the mic too close to the TV speakers, resulting in near feedback in spots.

Foul Mouthed Me was recorded with my Rode NT1A mic, through no recording software whatsoever - only the Soundblaster X-Fi sound card was used. That recording is entirely too bass heavy and the EQ has to be set too far off of what most people have as standard. The mic volume was too low as well. I intend to rerecord that one in the near future to eliminate those minor problems, with Audacity and Anvil Studio software (both free). That will also get rid of the mouse clicks heard at the beginning of that recording and allow me to edit tracks w/o needing a PhD in sound mixing.  :D

Ant

Written By: philbo on 07/20/07 at 9:33 am

karaokedies

???

I think I'd prefer "paraoke"... if you absolutely must invent words ;)

Written By: Red Ant on 07/27/07 at 4:35 am

???

I think I'd prefer "paraoke"... if you absolutely must invent words ;)

Paraoke it is! (Dave has used that word as well...)

Anywho, not to plug myself TOO much, but I've recorded my latest parody:

Friends In Strange Places

This is the first time I've recorded any of my works at the same time I posted the parody on AmiRight...

Ant

Written By: Step-chan on 07/27/07 at 2:38 pm

I'll listen to it tommorrow(don't have headphones with me at the library).

Written By: Step-chan on 07/28/07 at 2:39 pm

It just sent some strange mesage when I clicked on it. Something about adult files... reputation to marriage, relationship.... What in the heck?

Edit: The song seems to be having problems playing smoothly on the computer I'm at.

Written By: Red Ant on 07/28/07 at 7:58 pm

It just sent some strange mesage when I clicked on it. Something about adult files... reputation to marriage, relationship.... What in the heck?

Edit: The song seems to be having problems playing smoothly on the computer I'm at.

As for the "adult files", the song is marked "explicit content: parental advisory" or something like that: if your browser's adult filter is on, it might get blocked, but, as for the other stuff, it sounds like that computer is infected with spyware.

I just d/l it to make sure nothing got screwed up with the upload, and it played smoothly w/ no skips or anything like that...  :-\\

Ant

Written By: Red Ant on 07/29/07 at 8:29 am

My latest recording has earned the top spots in both the comedy and adult comedy charts at Soundclick.com!

King for a Day!

Ant

Written By: Cat on 07/29/07 at 10:18 am

Hey Jack, do you take requests? Because I'd rather like to see "Whinin' And A-B*tchin'" recorded.

Written By: Red Ant on 07/29/07 at 3:43 pm

Hey Jack, do you take requests? Because I'd rather like to see "Whinin' And A-B*tchin'" recorded.

So far, my recordings have been based on quality backing track availability, which is very limited. That may be changing in a BIG way for all of us very soon.

While at a wedding on Saturday, I talked to a DJ there about karaoke/instrumental tracks. He informed me that he has over 400 gigs worth of them (approx 50,000 songs recorded at 320k bit rate), and will sell them to me for a very modest fee. I need to get an external hard drive as mine holds only 250GB, but as soon as I get that and get it to him, I should be able to record quite a bit more, including my satire of "Losing My Religion".

I'd love to record that one... it's one of my favorites, and it shouldn't be too hard to nail (or I should say slaughter) the vocals.

Ant

Written By: Matthias on 07/29/07 at 5:31 pm

I however would love to hear you record, "Exhaustion"  ;)

Written By: Red Ant on 07/30/07 at 4:05 pm

I however would love to hear you record, "Exhaustion"  ;)

I can't claim I don't have a backing track for that one, heh heh. As soon as my oxygen cylinder arrives and I have 911 on speed dial, I'll try that one, as well as "I Don't Really Care" and "The Cigarettes".  ;)

Ant

Written By: Step-chan on 07/30/07 at 4:47 pm

As for the "adult files", the song is marked "explicit content: parental advisory" or something like that: if your browser's adult filter is on, it might get blocked, but, as for the other stuff, it sounds like that computer is infected with spyware.

I just d/l it to make sure nothing got screwed up with the upload, and it played smoothly w/ no skips or anything like that...  :-\\

Ant

Actually, I've been using the library the past couple of weeks(my computer at home has no protection at the moment and got hit by some nasty spyware program).

As for the recording, it might be the computer I was on last time.

Written By: skittlesking on 07/30/07 at 7:27 pm

So far, my recordings have been based on quality backing track availability, which is very limited. That may be changing in a BIG way for all of us very soon.

While at a wedding on Saturday, I talked to a DJ there about karaoke/instrumental tracks. He informed me that he has over 400 gigs worth of them (approx 50,000 songs recorded at 320k bit rate), and will sell them to me for a very modest fee. I need to get an external hard drive as mine holds only 250GB, but as soon as I get that and get it to him, I should be able to record quite a bit more, including my satire of "Losing My Religion".

I'd love to record that one... it's one of my favorites, and it shouldn't be too hard to nail (or I should say slaughter) the vocals.

Ant

I might be interested in this as well wink wink.

Written By: Cat on 07/31/07 at 11:23 am

Yeah, if Dave could make a sort of library of backing tracks on his website, that would be GREAT. Especially as I'd rather like to finally record a song before I start my senior year...

Written By: Step-chan on 07/31/07 at 7:14 pm

The Strange Places one is playing fine now.

It must have been the other public computer I was at.

(Heaven help the $%^$% who clogged my computer at home with the spyware if I ever found out who they were and got ahold of them)

Edit: Pretty good, also like the added thing at the end.

Check for new replies or respond here...