inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hall of Fame - quick check before I enable voting

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/03/07 at 3:01 pm

Here's the names I culled from the nomination thread, along with the rules.  I haven't double checked this, so before we open it up to official voting, it would help if people could review the rules and help flag anyone who might be disqualified due to being too recent, or not really parody.

Rules

1) 10 years after first parody release in some form (CD, digital, printed lyrics, etc)
2) Significant impact on popular culture
3) Inspires other parody authors

Parody for this list is defined as "The changing of a song's original lyrics
words to change the original songwriter's intent, usually humorous.".

Allan Sherman
Weird Al Yankovic
Robert Lund (w/ Spaff.com)
Bob Rivers
Homer & Jethro
Spike Jones
John Valby
The Capitol Steps
Mark Russell
Blowfly
Pinkard & Bowdin
Cledus T. Judd
Mike Elliott & Bud LaTour
Forbidden Broadway
The 4 Preps
Philip Pope
Tim Cavanagh
DaVinci's Notebook
The Detergents
Dennis Blair
Tripod
Ray Stevens
Cledus Judd
Peter Schickele (P.D.Q. Bach)
Tom Lehrer
Chuck Jones
Joe Hill
Lukeski

disqualified, but worth a mention:
Neil Innes (Rutles creator)            (satrist)
JibJab (too recent)
Stan Freberg                            (satrist)
Spike Jones                            (satrist)
Jeanie Linders (too recent)
Mike Judge (Beavis and Butt-head creator)      (not parody)
Eric Schwartz                                  (too recent)
Dickie Goodman                                  (not parody)
Francis Scott Key                                  (not an intentional parody)
Bob Ricci (too recent)

Subject: Re: Hall of Fame - quick check before I enable voting

Written By: John Jenkins on 08/03/07 at 10:58 pm

Good job of compiling the eligible and ineligible, but please add Joe Hill, whom I nominated on 6/24.

Written By: EthanM on 08/03/07 at 11:15 pm

I still think that key shouldn't be eligible - the star spangled banner is not a parody. I'm pretty sure that the poem as set to an old song by someone else long afterwards, and parodies need to be written with the original work in mind. The star spangled banner wasn't even supposed to be a song at first.

I think Bob Ricci would be disqualified for being too recent. Possible lukeski and robert lund as well. Also, wasn't Tom Lehrer more involved with actual song parody than Spike Jones ever was? The element song might be the original "list" parody, and I'm pretty sure he had a reputation for writing parodies in college  before he released albums 40-50 years ago.

Leader of the laundromat is a song...the detergents were the official name of the group singing it although it was basically just Ron Dante who did Sugar, Sugar too.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/04/07 at 6:24 pm

I still think that key shouldn't be eligible - the star spangled banner is not a parody. I'm pretty sure that the poem as set to an old song by someone else long afterwards, and parodies need to be written with the original work in mind. The star spangled banner wasn't even supposed to be a song at first.

I think Bob Ricci would be disqualified for being too recent. Possible lukeski and robert lund as well. Also, wasn't Tom Lehrer more involved with actual song parody than Spike Jones ever was? The element song might be the original "list" parody, and I'm pretty sure he had a reputation for writing parodies in college  before he released albums 40-50 years ago.

Leader of the laundromat is a song...the detergents were the official name of the group singing it although it was basically just Ron Dante who did Sugar, Sugar too.

I just listened to a bunch of Tom Lehrer's stuff a few weeks ago, and the problem is, if he wrote parodies or not, I probably wouldn't be able to tell, because the originals wouldn't be known to me (my knowledge of American music before 1955 is sketchy at best). All Music Guide has this to say: http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:0ifixq95ldhe~T1  I think we can move him out of the strictly satire category (which makes me happy).

Robert Lund... I checked his website and he has an album entitled best stupid songs 1998.  Ten years is the cut off, not sure if any of the other albums are older.

The rest I agree with.

I also thought of one more.  Chuck Jones.  "What's Opera, Doc?" and "Rabbit of Seville" are definitely parodies, and perhaps the finest cartoons of all time.

Written By: Spaff.com on 08/04/07 at 9:16 pm

Luke Ski was first played on Dr. Demento in 1996. Robert Lund's "Counterfeit Country" CD is from 1995 and he probably has some older than that - his parodies have been getting airplay in Utah since the 80s.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/04/07 at 10:28 pm

Luke Ski was first played on Dr. Demento in 1996. Robert Lund's "Counterfeit Country" CD is from 1995 and he probably has some older than that - his parodies have been getting airplay in Utah since the 80s.

xoxox
Spaff

cool.  thanks.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/06/07 at 3:26 pm

Spike Jones did three parodies that I am aware of: "Pal-Yat-Chee" (a hillbilly bastardization of I Pagliacci, with vocals by our nominees Homer & Jethro), "I Only Have Eyes For You" (done as a romantic duet between Dracula and his lover) and "I Dream Of Brownie With The Light Blue Jeans". There was also some wacky verses stuck onto his full-length version of The Nutcracker Suite.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/06/07 at 3:28 pm

I just listened to a bunch of Tom Lehrer's stuff a few weeks ago, and the problem is, if he wrote parodies or not, I probably wouldn't be able to tell, because the originals wouldn't be known to me (my knowledge of American music before 1955 is sketchy at best). All Music Guide has this to say: http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:0ifixq95ldhe~T1  I think we can move him out of the strictly satire category (which makes me happy).

His only parody, by our definition of parody, has been "The Elements". The rest of it was original material, albeit often in specific song-styles, such as "Lobachevsky", spoofing Danny Kaye's tongue-twisting specialty numbers.

Check for new replies or respond here...