inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: amIright Parody Hall of Fame - Voting Thread #1 of 2

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/06/07 at 8:58 am

Please review all the entries carefully.  You can change your vote will the poll is running, so if you make a mistake, don't freak out!

It would be a giant help if we could build a list of links to each author/performer noted above.  After the winners are announced I will build a section on amIright. I will need help writing biographies for each of the winners. It might be useful to have brief bios for everyone mentioned even the people who don't make the cut this year.

I'm keeping the results secret until the close of the votes, just to keep up the excitement.

Here were the rules for nominations:

1) 10 years after first parody release in some form (CD, digital, printed lyrics, etc)
2) Significant impact on popular culture
3) Inspires other parody authors

Subject: Re: amIright Parody Hall of Fame - Voting Thread #1 of 2

Written By: Rex on 08/06/07 at 9:07 am

I can help with the biographies.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/06/07 at 9:24 am

Chuck Jones?  ??? As in Looney Tunes animator Chuck Jones? Unless there is some other Chuck Jones, I'm not aware of him, nor do I believe Jones the animator has a place in the Parody Hall Of Fame. ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/06/07 at 9:29 am

Chuck Jones?  ??? As in Looney Tunes animator Chuck Jones? Unless there is some other Chuck Jones, I'm not aware of him, nor do I believe Jones the animator has a place in the Parody Hall Of Fame. ???

look up "What's Opera, Doc?" and "Rabbit of Seville"

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/06/07 at 11:45 am

look up "What's Opera, Doc?" and "Rabbit of Seville"

Michael Maltese, the writer of these cartoons, then should be honored (the Spaff.com to Jones' Robert Lund.  ;))

Written By: philbo on 08/13/07 at 5:16 pm

I think we forgot Billy Connolly - Ag pointed out that he'd done a parody to D.I.V.O.R.C.E. (which got to number one for a week this side of the pond), made me remember he's also parodied "A four-legged friend", "What a friend we have in Jesus" and probably quite a few more.

Two more groups that I doubt made it past these shores would be The Barron Knights (a solely parody band) and The Wurzels who did a bunch of West-country ("Scrumpy and Western") songs, including a parody called "The Combine Harvester" which was the first single I bought, age eight or nine.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/13/07 at 10:50 pm

I think we forgot Billy Connolly - Ag pointed out that he'd done a parody to D.I.V.O.R.C.E. (which got to number one for a week this side of the pond), made me remember he's also parodied "A four-legged friend", "What a friend we have in Jesus" and probably quite a few more.

Two more groups that I doubt made it past these shores would be The Barron Knights (a solely parody band) and The Wurzels who did a bunch of West-country ("Scrumpy and Western") songs, including a parody called "The Combine Harvester" which was the first single I bought, age eight or nine.

if I added them now, doubt they'd get many votes.  Heck, there's not many votes yet at all, after a week of voting.  7 people so far... I figured it would be more like 20 or 30.  Guess summertime is a bit slow for doing something like this.

Written By: philbo on 08/14/07 at 2:20 am

True - on both points.  Even the SOTM/POTM are down to a fraction of their usual entry numbers..

Written By: John Jenkins on 08/14/07 at 9:03 pm

Because Chucky “only” gave us 6 weeks to place nominations, I forgot to nominate JakeTrout and the Flounders.  This band consisted of three professional golfers, Peter Jacobsen, the late Payne Stewart, and Mark Lye before Stewart’s tragic death in an airplane crash in 1999.  They performed live on numerous occasions and they produced two albums of golf-themed song parodies. It seems that many professional golfers want to be professional musicians and visa versa; and frequently, the performers of the original songs (including Stephen Stills and Graham Nash in “Love the One You Whiff” and Glen Frey in “Struggler’s Blues”, and Alice Cooper in “I’m on Eighteen”) would sing background in the parodies of their songs.  If you don’t play golf, you might not fully appreciate this band; but, if there is another HOF election next year, I will be sure to nominate Jake Trout and the Flounders.

Written By: John Jenkins on 08/14/07 at 9:07 pm

Although Ray Stevens is a very humorous and talented performer, I don't think he is a song parodist.  There was no reference to “song parody” or “song parodies” on either his web site or the Wikipedia article about him, so I am not sure that he is eligible for this Hall of Fame.

Written By: philbo on 08/15/07 at 3:55 am

Ray Stevens as a parodist seems to me quite similar to Tom Lehrer: he has done the odd one in a long list of original songs.  But I have to admit that I don't like any of his stuff (with the exception of The Bricklayer's Song).

Check for new replies or respond here...