inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is it really necessary to 'vary' choruses in your parodies?

Written By: Jason on 08/23/07 at 12:18 pm

Something that I have seen mentioned on a few parodies including my own is something like "It would have been better if you varied the choruses" or "The chorus was a bit repetitive". I thought the whole point of a chorus is that its MEANT to be repeated between the verses, after all thats the whole point of a chorus.

Jason

Subject: Re: Is it really necessary to 'vary' choruses in your parodies?

Written By: philbo on 08/23/07 at 1:09 pm

Necessary?  Of course not... but does it make for a better/funnier parody?  You bet.

Most songs repeat choruses 'cause it gives the punters a hook to get them into the song; plus, it means the author (&performer) have to think less.  Most of the parody authors here try and improve on the originals (which, to be honest, isn't usually difficult), one way of showing how much more creative you are than the original lyricist is by not having three quarters of the song being the same crap lyric repeated.

Written By: skittlesking on 08/23/07 at 1:28 pm

Something that I have seen mentioned on a few parodies including my own is something like "It would have been better if you varied the choruses" or "The chorus was a bit repetitive". I thought the whole point of a chorus is that its MEANT to be repeated between the verses, after all thats the whole point of a chorus.

Jason

I could just copy and paste Phil's comment to say how I feel about it. . .but I'll say this--I didn't use to vary choruses-and as a result I had to cut many lines that added to the parody because of limited verses.  I don't always vary the choruses, nor does anyone always vary choruses-the song and what the purpose of the chorus is can make a difference--I think it's ok not to. . .but I also think that doing it on most songs improves your appearance as a creative writer.

Written By: Red Ant on 08/23/07 at 1:28 pm

I'm pretty sure this was discussed a while back, but I can't seem to find that topic at the moment...

Jason

In an OS, yes. The chorus is usually the hook, and what you are most likely to remember even if (after) you forget all the other lyrics. Songwriters tend to go for memorable and catchy, and that means repetition in choruses. After seeing .38 Special in concert the other night, I realized another reason for the chorus being the same is crowd sing along.

Plus, it's easier to remember lyrics when the choruses are the same.

In parodies though, the goal is usually humor, and repeating the same jokes/puns/etc. in the chorus leads to less humor, which is why they are varied, even if to a small degree. A good example would be an American Pie parody - you could have the funniest chorus ever written, but if you repeat it six more times, it's not as funny, if at all, by the end. "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" is the same way - having 4 identical choruses like TOS is a boring read to me, and any humor it contained in the first chorus is probably long gone by the 4th time I read it.

Also, our goal (or I should say one of my goals) is to improve on TOS, and varying choruses is one way to do that.

IMHO, the more repetitive TOS is, the more important it becomes to change that up in the parody.

Somes OSs are so repetitive that variation (or serious abbreviation) is the only thing that can salvage them - 12 Days of Christmas and 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall parodies immediately come to mind.

To answer your question: no, it's not necessary to vary the choruses, but it usually makes for a better read.

Ant

Edit: What Phil and Dave said.  ;)

Written By: Step-chan on 08/23/07 at 1:58 pm

As they said, it's not necessary. It's good to do it on some of them(ones that have more flexibility I do it on, but I'm less likely to do it to choruses that are harder). But I don't like doing it everytime I do a parody, mainly because it becomes expected. Sometimes I like to do a basic play by play parody(others times I go nuts and vary it).

Edit: I'll post songs(not links though) that I have and haven't on my next post.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/23/07 at 2:01 pm

I am pretty sure I am one of those folks Jason is talking about. I concure with everyone else here, it just makes it more interesting and fun. Weird Al rarely, if ever, uses the same chorus twice.

That is not to say it NEVER should be repeated. Sometimes I have found that it's just pointless to make a new chorus due to the OS length, or for other artistic reasons.

Written By: Step-chan on 08/23/07 at 2:43 pm

^ One example of a Weird Al song parody which he didn't vary chorus wise was Another One Rides The Bus, so you are right. He rarely does the same chorus without variety on his song parodies.

Songs which I have/haven't varied the chorus:

Looks Like A Weird Parody(Smells Like Teen Spirit parody): I did vary the chorus everytime on this one, mainly because the theme was really flexible, I didn't have to worry about staying to one theme.

Weird Cute Songs(Heart Shaped Box parody): I varied the chorus on this one too, for the same reason as the Teen Spirit parody, plenty of flexibility.(The parody is actually called Cute Weird Songs, but I accidently typed the title words in the wrong order)

Bunny(Polly parody): I didn't vary the chorus on this, the theme wasn't flexible enough to easily do it. It's about a couple wanting some private time. The chorus itself is fairly long, but the low number of syllables in each line makes it abit tricky to vary the chorus each time, so I felt it was better to write just one type of chorus.

Cut Cheese(Big Cheese parody): I kept the chorus the same on this one too, but I at least varied the verses alittle more than the original. The chorus isn't too difficult to vary, but the theme was pretty one dimensional, so I didn't worry about it.

Anime Video Games & Nirvana
Chi Freya Chi
(Verse Chorus Verse parodies): I did three versions of Anime Video Games & Nirvana, only one of them is repetitive. The other two, the first and final versions have varied choruses. Chi Freya Chi also has varied choruses. The original song doesn't have varied verses or varied choruses, so I definetly recommend making both of them different(at least two different verses and some of the lines in each chorus changed). This song is actually pretty easy to vary to different degrees no matter what the theme is.

I've done three parodies of Sliver, two of which I varied the choruses(the one I didn't do that on was the first parody I ever wrote). I definetly recommend varying the choruses on Sliver, since the original's is repetitive to an extreme.

On another note, I'm doing a parody of Eddie Money's Take Me Home Tonight, while I'm going to try to vary the chorus, it looks like I won't be able to vary it much beyond changing adjectives. So, the chorus's variety will be subtle.

Written By: Red Ant on 08/23/07 at 2:52 pm

There's also another way to get around a ton of outro choruses and other repetitive parts at the end of the song: skip them. While I usually frown on this, I have done it in the past several times... I like to call it "creative cop-out". Put something funny to read in place of the last choruses/fading lyrics. This works best if the original has three minutes of outro lyrics, is annoying as hell, goes on forever or simply sucks.

Ant

Written By: Jason on 08/23/07 at 5:06 pm

There's also another way to get around a ton of outro choruses and other repetitive parts at the end of the song: skip them. While I usually frown on this, I have done it in the past several times... I like to call it "creative cop-out". Put something funny to read in place of the last choruses/fading lyrics. This works best if the original has three minutes of outro lyrics, is annoying as hell, goes on forever or simply sucks.

Ant

What do you think of writing in 'shorthand'. i.e for 12 Days Of Christmas, only writing the 12th verse or for 99 Bottles Of Beer On The Wall, writing notation such as 99 Bottles Of Beer........?

Jason

Written By: skittlesking on 08/23/07 at 5:48 pm

What do you think of writing in 'shorthand'. i.e for 12 Days Of Christmas, only writing the 12th version, or for 99 Bottles Of Beer On The Wall, writing notation such as 99 Bottles Of Beer........?

Jason

Those two. . .particularly 12 Days of Christmas, varying each stanza may take away from the style of the original. . .I personally avoid parodying folk songs, but that's just me (99 Bottles of Beer. . .) , I intend to do a 12 Days parody eventually. . .I think those are two examples where seeing too much variation could be a real long (and probably in 99 Beers case nausiating) expierence.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 08/24/07 at 3:36 am

It's as simple as this for me, Jase....my goal when writing  is to cram as many jokes/puns/humorous moments as I can into a parody, given the confines of an original song. Varying the choruses gives me more opportunity to do that.

Given that, I concur that it's not always necessary to vary. Some OSes can handle a consistent chorus, some can't. The general rule for me is that the more times a chorus features in an OS, the more important it is for me to vary the chorus. Granted, it's harder work to do this, but you should never shy away from a challenge.

At present, 99% of all parodies submitted to Amiright are in written form only. A recorded parody might work better with repetetive choruses, but in written form, parodies with lots of repetition just come across as half-hearted: as if the author couldn't be bothered thinking up something new.

What do you think of writing in 'shorthand'. i.e for 12 Days Of Christmas, only writing the 12th verse or for 99 Bottles Of Beer On The Wall, writing notation such as 99 Bottles Of Beer........?

Jason

I would NEVER do a 99 Bottles parody....what's the point? Unless you can come up with an insanely clever way of reimagining the OS, it's parody suicide.
I would consider "12 Days" but I personally would have to vary each line except possibly the "partridge" line.....otherwise (again) what's the point? I'd be bored writing it, which would lead me to think most people would be bored reading it.

And I would never use shortcuts...for my mind, that's just laziness. If you're not going to do something properly, don't do it at all.

Written By: Jason on 08/24/07 at 4:44 am

Thanks to all of you for your replies. Its been much appreciated.

Jason

Written By: ProjectSisyphus on 08/24/07 at 4:23 pm

Generally a varied chorus is good, but sometimes repetition of a brief chorus works too. For example, in his parody of "Complicated," the chorus drags on forever, so Weird Al varied it with each verse and built the story. On the other hand, "The Achy Breaky Song" repeated the same chorus over and over, like the original. Kind of depends on what works I think.

Written By: Peregrin on 08/24/07 at 5:24 pm

M&P try to follow the same basic philosophy as summed up well in Kristof's first sentence - squeeze what you can out of it.

We try to vary every chorus for that very reason :)

Written By: Red Ant on 08/25/07 at 6:02 pm

Jason

With "12 Days..." if you're not gonna vary the lines, I'd just list the last day and save the reader the dread of all that repetition. Like Kristof said, the only way I'd consider doing a 12 Days parody is to vary all but possibly the first day.

99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall is okay with abbreviated verses (i.e., 99-66, and so on), but I have tossed around the idea of a group parody for that song to do it properly.

And I would never use shortcuts...for my mind, that's just laziness. If you're not going to do something properly, don't do it at all.

Never?  ;)

By my calculations, you're about 690 "na nas" and a ton of ad-libbed wailing short of completing the song.  :D

(Weird Al shortened the prechoruses on "Smells Like Nirvana" too... )

Ant

Written By: Jason on 08/26/07 at 9:09 am

Hey Jack,

99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall is okay with abbreviated verses (i.e., 99-66, and so on), but I have tossed around the idea of a group parody for that song to do it properly.

If you are starting a group parody of 99 Bottles Of Beer, can I join in please? Don't worry my contribution will be nowhere near as bad as my 99 Cold Blocks Of Ice In My Bed parody!

Thank you. Jason

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/27/07 at 11:38 am

I love to vary choruses as much as possible ... case in point, "Eary Liason", my parody of Mr. Mister's tune "Kyrie": 
http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/mrmister4.shtml

The OS's chorus is:

Kyrie Eleison
Down the road that I must travel
Kyrie Eleison
Through the darkness of the night
Kyrie Eleison
Where I'm going will you follow
Kyrie Eleison
On a highway in the light

That chorus occurs 5 times in the OS.  Repeating a parodied version 5 times would be as tedious as the OS's 5 repetitions!

Written By: nally on 08/27/07 at 12:22 pm

I don't think it's absolutely necessary, but it does give the parody a broader selection of words. I'm all for it. Heck, I've even done it in a few parodies that I've written (but am still not ready to submit).

Weird Al has even made some of his parodies with varied choruses, as mentioned above.

I'm pretty sure this was discussed a while back, but I can't seem to find that topic at the moment...

Yes, I seem to remember a similar thread too, but it's probably buried WAY far down.

Edit: yes, it was right here. Seems like it was originally discussed about a year ago.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 08/27/07 at 3:43 pm

Never?  ;)

By my calculations, you're about 690 "na nas" and a ton of ad-libbed wailing short of completing the song.  :D

Ant

Y'see...that wasn't me. That was my shiftless brother (who also goes by the name Kristof); he's the black sheep of the family, always on welfare, 23 kids to support..... :-[  ;)

Fair cop, Jack...but I've been rehabilitated since then.  :D

Written By: Step-chan on 08/30/07 at 1:41 pm

I love to vary choruses as much as possible ... case in point, "Eary Liason", my parody of Mr. Mister's tune "Kyrie": 
http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/mrmister4.shtml

The OS's chorus is:

Kyrie Eleison
Down the road that I must travel
Kyrie Eleison
Through the darkness of the night
Kyrie Eleison
Where I'm going will you follow
Kyrie Eleison
On a highway in the light

That chorus occurs 5 times in the OS.  Repeating a parodied version 5 times would be as tedious as the OS's 5 repetitions!

I didn't see that parody, until now.

Edit: I definetly agree with you on that too.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 09/05/07 at 6:49 am

Ah, but then he was using the radio edit of 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', which halved said prechoruses, and the intro and solo as well. I only recently found out this little nugget, so I might as well use it whenever possible.

Anyways, it's always good to vary choruses. I follow that as a rule (I believe it was ol' Red Ant himself who suggested it to me - he helped me through those early years). If you don't, people may not bother to read the whole song. To keep thempaying attention, mix things up a bit. Then they'll read the whole thing - if you're lucky, several times because it's that good. Take it from me - varing choruses is one step towards parodial awesomeness.

Pieman

Written By: 2nz on 09/05/07 at 9:03 am

Can I weigh in?

I agree with the general concensus around here that choruses should be used and abused in as many varied ways as possible, which includes finding different chorus subs as much as possible.

I would, however, like to make a distinction between parodies that are written and then enjoyed on paper vs parodies that are recorded and enjoyed as audio.

On paper, any joke or variation on the original you can fit into a parody is a good thing. People can take as much time as they have to read and reread each line of a written parody and are in a position to appreciate all the work that goes into a parody. This includes the complex plays on words and however many jokes and clever whatevers the author was able to fit into their parody.

As audio, there are many more limits. For starters, every joke and punchline and clever whatever in the parody must now be crammed into a specific chunk of time because it is being performed. People can't go back and 'reread' a line or take their time initially 'reading' a line because they aren't reading the words anymore. Added to that, the performance quality and style is now set in stone and is no longer up to the imagination of the parody reader. This is my opinion, but there are some amazing authors here on the site who have amazing written works that never get enough attention once they are recorded because the original goes too freakin' fast and half the jokes in the parody are lost on an initial listener. And if the listener has trouble following a recoreded parody initially, that listener probably won't go back for a second listen unless they feel really motivated.

So what does this have to do with choruses? Really good question. In a recorded parody, as I stated, you gotta cram your jokes into a confined space. For that reason, sometimes it is better to have one joke that is repeated and functions the same as the original chorus, to 'hook' those parody listeners who are listening for the first time to YOUR version of their favorite or most detested song. Sometimes you can pull off varied choruses in a recording, sometimes not so much because you end up 'battling' your own jokes in the process of trying to fit too much into a small space. Odds are, when you record, you'll have to battle some of your own jokes anyway, especially if there is still as much creativity on this site as when I last checked in a couple of months ago.

That was as much a seminar on recording as it was a response about choruses. I would apologize, but you could have stopped reading at any time and you chose not to stop, so I feel no reservations. If you are in a position to be annoyed, then I would question why indeed you are still reading at all.

It's good to be back. Sorry for spamming about recordings. See you all around a bit more now that I'm out of the woods. Later.

-Glen

Written By: Red Ant on 09/05/07 at 2:46 pm

Can I weigh in?

*And in the blue corner, weighing in at ??? pounds, the looney toon himself, Glen STOLLLLLL-BERRRger!!!!*

Good to see ya back Glen.

Excellent points about the recorded vs written parodies. There are two other things I recently realized with live karaoke or parody performance. One is that people are doing other things besides listening to the singer (chewing gum, talking, deciding whether or not a nacho falling on the bar floor still counts under the three second rule...) so you do not have the undivided attention of everyone to begin with. Subtle jokes and wordplay are going to be missed by many, even those who are hanging on your every word (don't I wish  ;)). The second is that with every varied chorus, you have that much more to remember. It wasn't too bad with the song I chose, but I'd need to invest a massive amount of time to be able to consistently pull off something like my version of American Pie, which has all the choruses varied.

Another thing: no matter how funny the words may be, not singing it well is going to kill any chance at humor or listenability. One woman hit and held a high note that nearly gave me a Grand Mal seizure: I didn't listen to the rest of her song.

Recordings are done in a more controllable environment, so much of the above doesn't apply to them.

So I guess that would be three things, only one of which has to do with varying choruses. At least I was somewhat on topic.

Y'see...that wasn't me. That was my shiftless brother (who also goes by the name Kristof); he's the black sheep of the family, always on welfare, 23 kids to support..... :-
Ah, but then he was using the radio edit of 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', which halved said prechoruses, and the intro and solo as well. I only recently found out this little nugget, so I might as well use it whenever possible.

Anyways, it's always good to vary choruses. I follow that as a rule (I believe it was ol' Red Ant himself who suggested it to me - he helped me through those early years). If you don't, people may not bother to read the whole song. To keep thempaying attention, mix things up a bit. Then they'll read the whole thing - if you're lucky, several times because it's that good. Take it from me - varing choruses is one step towards parodial awesomeness.

Pieman

I never knew a radio edit existed for SLTS. Interesting!

And thanks for the shout out: I'll make sure to include it in my memoirs.

"back in the old days, long before iPhones existed, I met up with this young lad named 'bobpiecheese'"

"Grand-dad, what's an iPhone?"

Ant

Written By: Step-chan on 09/05/07 at 2:48 pm

Pieman

I own the radio edit, it doesn't halve the prechoruses, part of the solo was cut out.

From Wikipedia:

The single edit of "Smells Like Teen Spirit," which was featured in the music video, removes approximately thirty seconds from the album version. In particular, two repetitions of the main riff have been removed from the beginning of the song, as has the repeat of the first section of the guitar solo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smells_Like_Teen_Spirit

It's down in the Formats and track listing section.

Written By: Jason on 09/07/07 at 1:27 pm

I was thinking about something today. Correct me if im wrong but if you 'vary' a chorus, then technically its not a 'chorus' after all, its more of an extended verse. Just something I personally feel. Im not trying to stir up a hornet's nest but im just stating that I feel a chorus should not be varied.

Jason.

Written By: John Jenkins on 09/10/07 at 6:01 pm

Varying a chorus is definitely a “taste” thing.  Some people don’t like opera, some people don’t like rap, and some people don’t like varied choruses.  But I strongly agree with the consensus that parodies with varied choruses are more entertaining for readers and listeners.  Whether they are called varied choruses, extended verses, or whatever.

As far as live performances are concerned, the Capitol Steps almost always vary the choruses on their song parodies.  Maybe since people who attend Capitol Steps concerts pay about $50 per ticket, they are more inclined to listen to the lyrics than people who simply pay a cover charge to hear karaoke or other similar performances.  But one thing that works for the Capitol Steps is to invite audience participation (singing along) when they perform parodies with repeating choruses.

Written By: skittlesking on 09/10/07 at 6:24 pm

Can I weigh in?

I agree with the general concensus around here that choruses should be used and abused in as many varied ways as possible, which includes finding different chorus subs as much as possible.

I would, however, like to make a distinction between parodies that are written and then enjoyed on paper vs parodies that are recorded and enjoyed as audio.

On paper, any joke or variation on the original you can fit into a parody is a good thing. People can take as much time as they have to read and reread each line of a written parody and are in a position to appreciate all the work that goes into a parody. This includes the complex plays on words and however many jokes and clever whatevers the author was able to fit into their parody.

As audio, there are many more limits. For starters, every joke and punchline and clever whatever in the parody must now be crammed into a specific chunk of time because it is being performed. People can't go back and 'reread' a line or take their time initially 'reading' a line because they aren't reading the words anymore. Added to that, the performance quality and style is now set in stone and is no longer up to the imagination of the parody reader. This is my opinion, but there are some amazing authors here on the site who have amazing written works that never get enough attention once they are recorded because the original goes too freakin' fast and half the jokes in the parody are lost on an initial listener. And if the listener has trouble following a recoreded parody initially, that listener probably won't go back for a second listen unless they feel really motivated.

So what does this have to do with choruses? Really good question. In a recorded parody, as I stated, you gotta cram your jokes into a confined space. For that reason, sometimes it is better to have one joke that is repeated and functions the same as the original chorus, to 'hook' those parody listeners who are listening for the first time to YOUR version of their favorite or most detested song. Sometimes you can pull off varied choruses in a recording, sometimes not so much because you end up 'battling' your own jokes in the process of trying to fit too much into a small space. Odds are, when you record, you'll have to battle some of your own jokes anyway, especially if there is still as much creativity on this site as when I last checked in a couple of months ago.

That was as much a seminar on recording as it was a response about choruses. I would apologize, but you could have stopped reading at any time and you chose not to stop, so I feel no reservations. If you are in a position to be annoyed, then I would question why indeed you are still reading at all.

It's good to be back. Sorry for spamming about recordings. See you all around a bit more now that I'm out of the woods. Later.

-Glen

And welcome back, I am building an all-inclusive site about the SOTM of old, you were very competitive back then--is that Glen back also?  If not it's cool--but you were an elite at one point in comp. . .as a regular recording artist I can relate to a lot of what you just said. . .for me it also turns out that you can have certain lines be hooks rather than whole choruses in some songs--that's how I'm able to get decent ratings at AmIRight and still average a top 25 on Soundclick in listens.  Most of my top downloaded songs are varied choruses, but on some songs it HAS caused the recording to leave a lack-luster feeling.

Written By: nally on 09/11/07 at 10:41 am

As far as live performances are concerned, the Capitol Steps almost always vary the choruses on their song parodies.  Maybe since people who attend Capitol Steps concerts pay about $50 per ticket, they are more inclined to listen to the lyrics than people who simply pay a cover charge to hear karaoke or other similar performances.  But one thing that works for the Capitol Steps is to invite audience participation (singing along) when they perform parodies with repeating choruses.

Yes, I saw them in Santa Barbara in May of last year. They put on a great show. 8) I can't remember how much the tickets were worth, but I enjoyed their performance. I didn't know any of their music at first, either. Their spoonerism monologues are hilarious.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/30/07 at 8:17 pm

One thing to keep in mind when varying a chorus: It's not necessary to make each chorus 100% different... You can do subtle changes that help it in variety...

(I just thought about this thread for some reason and decided to post about it)

Of course, some songs are harder to heavily vary the chorus... My parodies of "Take Me Home Tonight"(Eddie Money) and "Buy Me A Condo"(Weird Al) have subtle changes in the choruses, but it's only a small amount of words. They were abit harder to parody, the themes I chose, although more or less flexible, didn't allow for greatly varied choruses.

Check for new replies or respond here...