inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pimp Your Views!

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/24/07 at 9:27 am

So now that we are now able to measure views of our individual parodies, how are things stacking up?

Which is your most viewed? Which is your least viewed? Does it mean anything to you?

My most viewed: http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/tearsforfearsorgaryjules0.shtml

My least viewed is a smattering of parodies that have received 5 hits as of now. I am a little surprised that there are none that have had 0 hits.

Subject: Re: Pimp Your Views!

Written By: skittlesking on 08/24/07 at 10:04 am

Ok, well my leader is. . .

Jock Itch (badave.com edit) to Britney Spears' Toxic (124 Hits)

My weak links right now is a three way tie: Everything He Flaunts, Careless Hook Ups, & Matthias Guy all of which have 8 views

Written By: philbo on 08/24/07 at 10:37 am

I'm not surprised that I hate Britney Spears is nearly at the top (given that it has hundreds of votes and over a hundred comments), but more than a little bewildered that this one has been hit 286 times (something that's really odd - it's saying 286 on my authors page, but only 285 on the page itself)

My least viewed is a smattering of parodies that have received 5 hits as of now. I am a little surprised that there are none that have had 0 hits.

I wouldn't mind betting there's a background activity of 5 or so from search engine bots.

Have to admit one thing that's surprised me is the level of activity on my authors page: since putting a hit counter on when Chucky changed the edit script, it's been hit a few hundred times or more.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/24/07 at 10:45 am

... more than a little bewildered that this one has been hit 286 times ...I wouldn't mind betting there's a background activity of 5 or so from search engine bots.

Probably the reason why your Moody Blues has so many hits...possibly generated by confused or desperate highschool students studying Latin? :)

Written By: Matthias on 08/24/07 at 3:54 pm

Top Views: 197

"I Like Big Guts"

http://www.chadblodgett.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/fat-cat.jpg

Least Views: 5

"Dissect"

http://www.bloggerheads.com/images/dissect_crazy_frog.jpg

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 08/24/07 at 7:33 pm

My big hitter is, not surprisingly, (Buy, Buy) An African Child...it seems to have become my signature parody; although with 125 hits it's quite a way behind Phil and Matty.

I've got about 5 parodies on 6 hits; they're all pretty ancient

And to answer Agri's third question: no, it doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Comments are the only thing I use to judge the worth of my writing; I'm not fussed about the vote tallies either...

:)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 08/24/07 at 8:10 pm

This hit thing is a new dimension that I can't get my head around.  Surely there aren't that many outsiders combing through amiright looking for parodies to read (hardly any I would have thought) so I thought all these hits must come from accidental google hits - ie. nothing to do with the quality of the parody

on the other hand though, I almost have a 3-way tie for first place involving 2 of my better-known parodies "99 Rubber Boobs" and "Prequel To Stan" and an absolute dud early parody I submitted"I Need An Oven That Won't Drive Me Crazy"

They're all on around 150 hits, with absolute daylight to 4th place, down around 80 or something.

I can understand "Stan" as it is still showing up as the most recent SOTM winner, when you click on that link on amiright homepage, and "Rubber Boobs" has been used by other websites (eg. a breast cancer site, of all things) so it has a bit of a profile, but "Oven" is a complete mystery.

Reading through it, it mentions Courtney Love on Letterman - so I thought ah, that's the reference that is being googled which accidentally hits my parody, but when I google  *Courtney Love Letterman* I can't find my "Oven"parody being found anywhere - so it's all very mysterious.

also, parodies submitted since the hit counter are expectedly up high, but then an ancient one "Simon Shaved My Wife Tonight" is coming 5th, with no referrable nuggets that would have interested google I would have thought.

I'm interested to read Phil's explanations, as it's obviously something to do with the way search engines work, which he understands, and I don't have a clue about

Written By: Red Ant on 08/24/07 at 8:18 pm

I thought the title of this thread would be about something other than page hits...

Why "What's The Meaning?" has 127 hits is beyond me: it's an older parody of mine, albeit a good one, but Google searches for that phrase don't list it anywhere that I can find...

"Friends In Strange Places" and "Crappy Singer" are fairly obvious since they were posted after the counters were in place.

3 and 4 on my top hit list would tend to indicate misspelt Google searches...

Going one step further than Kristof, the hit counters don't mean anything to me. Ordering my works by hit count gives a very skewed representation of my (and others) assessment of my parodies. "Rhyme Zone" isn't anywhere near my best work: the fact it's been hit 78 times (4th overall) just tells me people are looking for www.rhymezone.com and spelling it as two words in a search engine.

"I Don't Really Care" is up there as well, but again, that's such a common phrase I find it hard to believe 66 people have found it via searches.

Pimpin' ain't easy.  :D

Ant

PS:
I'm interested to read Phil's explanations, as it's obviously something to do with the way search engines work, which he understands, and I don't have a clue about

As am I. Phil?

Written By: Step-chan on 08/24/07 at 9:24 pm

Catgirl Image Search, my most viewed, is at 219 at the moment.

^
The thing I'm most known for(catgirl obsession) on inthe00s and amiright, it's pretty funny.

As for my lowest viewed, I have 10 parodies that tie at 5 views:

Attack Of The 1s
The Bosom Song
Dejiko & Puchiko
Nurse Witch Song
Pokemon Grunge Song
The Scrappy Doo Assassination
Searching For Metal Monsters
Searching
Stuffy Noses And Runny Noses
The World Of Anime Fans

That's too many to link.

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 08/24/07 at 10:28 pm

The most hits for me is 76 for "Popeye The Sailor Man" (http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/hermanshermits96.shtml).
I guess people are looking for info on the spinach-sucker.

Very close second with 74 hits is "Making Love In The Men's Bathroom Stall" (http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/airsupply13.shtml)
This is good because I think that's one of my best works. I don't even want to begin what people were looking for if they googled that.

Lowest hits go to...
You're Gonna Lose Your Lunch (http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/thebeatles1103.shtml)
I Need Gravy (http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/theronettes3.shtml)
Make Me Breakfast (http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/thecoors1.shtml)
California Squirrels (http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/beachboysdavidleeroth0.shtml)
..all with a disgraceful 6 hits each.
I put links for them because every parody needs some extra lovin'.

The rest are all mostly 7, 8 or 9 hits each. What? that's it??
Oh well. I'm done pimping. Time to watch Robot Chicken.

Written By: philbo on 08/26/07 at 3:03 pm

This hit thing is a new dimension that I can't get my head around.  Surely there aren't that many outsiders combing through amiright looking for parodies to read (hardly any I would have thought) so I thought all these hits must come from accidental google hits - ie. nothing to do with the quality of the parody

You're right: it can't be anything to do with the quality of the parody as your surfer ain't going to know about that until after clicking on it... IMO we're not seeing people who are interested in parodies per se, more like people searching for something which happens to match a parody - amiright rates pretty high with google, so a matching parody may well turn up on the first page of search results.  (for example, searching for the phrase "cod latin" matches 2.5M pages, but my highest-hit parody, "Quotes in Cod Latin" is the first result.. that may be why - I wish some of the people hitting this would leave a comment to say why they dropped in...)

The thing I find very hard to explain is that the hits seem to be going up proportionately- i.e. what was popular yesterday is equally popular today.  I suppose that would imply that overall the same sorts of searches are being done each day (rather than specific "fads" which would see some songs climbing the hits then stopping)

Interesting article about search strings on mwillett.org - it'd be great if Chucky was getting the same info, but I think amiright works on a much larger scale so it'd be a serious bit of analysis to get the data into some meaningful state.

I'm guessing...

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 08/26/07 at 5:23 pm

Thanks, Phil - but contrary to your "Cod Latin" experience, I've googled every interesting string of words in my "Oven" parody and none of the searches lead to my "Oven" parody - so somehow it's being hit via other avenues

The thing I find very hard to explain is that the hits seem to be going up proportionately- i.e. what was popular yesterday is equally popular today.  I suppose that would imply that overall the same sorts of searches are being done each day (rather than specific "fads" which would see some songs climbing the hits then stopping)

exactly - I find that proportionate aspect intriguing too

Interesting article about search strings on mwillett.org - it'd be great if Chucky was getting the same info, but I think amiright works on a much larger scale so it'd be a serious bit of analysis to get the data into some meaningful state.
I'm guessing...

hmm, checked it out - none the wiser - (excepet I'm wiser about how much more confusing it is than I originally thought :-\\)

Written By: lpg_unit on 09/06/07 at 6:54 pm

The most viewed parody that I made? On The G-Unit Candy Shop, a parody of Shirley Temple's On The Good Ship Lollipop. Hmm, it seems that I pwned that Shirley kid...

Check for new replies or respond here...