inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Has anyone else heard of the artist Jimmy Buffett?

Written By: Jason on 08/26/07 at 9:01 am

Im just wondering if anyone else has heard of the artist Jimmy Buffett. Im only asking because there is this author Michael T. Mondak who's collection of parodies are about 99.9997% Jimmy Buffett jobs.

Im not being disrespectful to Michael T. Mondak, far from it but I find it amusing that Jimmy Buffett is getting so much attention!

Jason

Subject: Re: Has anyone else heard of the artist Jimmy Buffett?

Written By: Matthias on 08/26/07 at 9:15 am

Who hasn't heard of the artist Jimmy Buffet, is a better question, He's freaking famous!!!

Written By: Red Ant on 08/26/07 at 9:17 am

Im just wondering if anyone else has heard of the artist Jimmy Buffett. Im only asking because there is this author Michael T. Mondak who's collection of parodies are about 99.9997% Jimmy Buffett jobs.

Im not being disrespectful to Michael T. Mondak, far from it but I find it amusing that Jimmy Buffett is getting so much attention!

Jason

Um, yeah. He's only been around for 30 years. 'course, I only know like 3 songs by him, but that's okay. Here's an article to get you up to speed, Jason:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Buffett

Ant

Written By: KKay on 08/26/07 at 9:19 am

are you talking abut THE jimmy buffet?  or someone using his name?  i thought that, even across generations, that he was practically a household name.

Written By: Jason on 08/26/07 at 9:43 am

Um, yeah. He's only been around for 30 years. 'course, I only know like 3 songs by him, but that's okay. Here's an article to get you up to speed, Jason:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Buffett

Ant

Thanks Jack I'll check it out.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 08/26/07 at 11:26 am

Who hasn't heard of the artist Jimmy Buffet, is a better question, He's freaking famous!!!

See, Matty...that's a very Americo-centric presumption. Jimmy Buffett may be enormous in the US, but he hasn't really made waves outside of the land of the free and the home of the brave.
I've heard of Jimmy Buffett because I'm older, and pretty clued into all types of music; but I couldn't name one Jimmy Buffett song off the top of my head.

are you talking abut THE jimmy buffet?  or someone using his name?  i thought that, even across generations, that he was practically a household name.

Practically an AMERICAN household name....

I don't mean to sound whiney, but sometimes it gets to me when Americans presume their cultural icons are as celebrated by the rest of the world....

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/26/07 at 1:02 pm

See, Matty...that's a very Americo-centric presumption. Jimmy Buffett may be enormous in the US, but he hasn't really made waves outside of the land of the free and the home of the brave.
I've heard of Jimmy Buffett because I'm older, and pretty clued into all types of music; but I couldn't name one Jimmy Buffett song off the top of my head.

Practically an AMERICAN household name....

I don't mean to sound whiney, but sometimes it gets to me when Americans presume their cultural icons are as celebrated by the rest of the world....

Well unless you wave a big flag around, on the Internet no one knows your nationality. 

I've been subjected to "Margarittaville" in at least two other countries, without even turning on a radio.  So I don't think he's strictly an American phenom.  Of course Canada and Bermuda are fairly tied to the US music scene, and maybe Britan and Australia/New Zealand got to avoid it.

in the U.S. you can't avoid him on a classic rock station, and that's despite having very few decent songs.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/26/07 at 1:25 pm

The guy's got a huge following of fans, known as 'Parrotheads'...and he even opened up several restaurants in the southern part of the U.S. 

I can't say I'm a 'Parrothead' myself, but I do enjoy his music!  :)

Written By: Paul on 08/26/07 at 1:49 pm

Of course Canada and Bermuda are fairly tied to the US music scene, and maybe Britan and Australia/New Zealand got to avoid it.

I can't speak for the 'down under' mob (although I have my suspicions that a couple of his songs may have been big there), but in Britain...zilch, nada, nothing ever charted for him!

in the U.S. you can't avoid him on a classic rock station, and that's despite having very few decent songs.

And yet, 'Come Monday' and 'Margaritaville' are very likely to be heard on British 'oldies' stations!  ???

And I vividly remember a song of his ('Chanson Pour Les Petits Enfants') being played regularly many years ago on a radio request programme for kids (very strange!)

Written By: Step-chan on 08/26/07 at 2:28 pm

Alot of us on here do. ;)

Written By: Jason on 08/26/07 at 3:04 pm

Thanks for your replys everyone.

I only asked because of the sheer magnitude of Jimmy Buffett parodies coming from Michael T. Mondak! I personally don't know Jimmy Buffett as Im from London myself.

Jason.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/27/07 at 7:43 am

Many Amirighters have a certain modus operandi....Michael T. definitely has his...all the more power to him, but I don't usually read parodies  that are DKTOS for me unless it's in a competition.

The only Jimmy Buffet songs I ever heard are Margaritaville, Cheesburger In Paradise, and It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere which I think he sang with Toby Keith recently ???? He's not all that big in Chicago as elsewhere.

Check for new replies or respond here...