inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: My First Live Performance!

Written By: Red Ant on 09/02/07 at 12:30 am

I had plans to go out tonight with some former coworkers. All we were going to do is have a few drinks at the Bourbon Street Bar (formerly "Bones") and reminisce about how crappy our old jobs were (we're all from the same hotel). Turns out the bar we were going to was hosting karaoke, starting at 9:30PM.

I walked up to the DJ and asked about singing my own version to a song and if that was okay. "Sure, as long as there is no swearing, harsh swearing that is" was the reply. So, I signed my name and song.

At one point I scratched my name from the list because I thought the original song would have noticeable backing vocals in it. Turns out there were not many at all, so I signed back up.

An hour went by, and right as I was about to be called they went to intermission. Six irritating dance tunes in a row, and I was about to leave when the DJ came back. He called my name...

*butterflies on crack are flying full speed in my stomach, but it's too late to turn back now*

I get up to the mic (a Shure SM58) and asked the crowd, who had already heard a ton of country songs, "Do you like Garth Brooks?". Tepid response. "Do you like sex?" Finally, some cheers!
"I've written a little something different for 'Friends In Low Places', and I'm gonna sing it for y'all tonight"

I proceeded to sing "I've Had Sex In Strange Places". Man, did I get some looks! Mostly "what the hell..." or deer caught in headlight looks, but I had a blast singing it. I saw a few people smiling and laughing, particularly after the "hole in one" line.  If I may say so, I did a damned good job. I was worried about forgetting the lines, but they came to me. Over the booming PA system, I managed to have a lot more low end than my recording did.

When I got done I got a pretty good applause, several handshakes, and even a few high fives from a woman who knew what parody was!  She asked me if I was like Weird Al. I told her yes, minus the videos and professional recording gear, money... and fame. She said "And you don't have the hair", to which I replied "I can't play the accordion either, but I consider that a plus." I talked to Kyle, who sang "Sweet Caroline" before the intermission and did an amazing job at it, and he was impressed with my song. We exchanged numbers for potential future collaboration.

One thing I heard, twice, was someone say "Watch your mouth".  ??? I wasn't profane, I don't even know where it came from (might be in the software to autoplay when someone cusses and misinterpreted my lyrics...). I don't care either!

Also, FILP has 4 outro choruses, so after I was done I asked the DJ to fade out the track.

The best thing is I got my performance cherry popped tonight: yes, it was my first time singing in public, and in front of no less than 100 people. Maybe a third were listening to (or into) the performance, but I didn't get any booing or negative reactions, so I was happy.

One lady said this to me: "You didn't sing the lyrics on the screen!". Astute observation!  ;D

I think I'm going to do karaoke more often now.

Ant

Subject: Re: My First Live Performance!

Written By: wildcard on 09/02/07 at 2:52 pm

8)  I'd like to do something like that if I ever get the chance again.  If not I'll be continuing sign language and try to perform mime. 

Written By: Rex on 09/02/07 at 6:02 pm

Congratulations!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/luxhello.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/luxhello.gif

I remember back mumble mumble years ago when I started performing a comedy magic act. It's amazing how easy it becomes to be on stage once you learn to laugh at yourself in front of a roomful of people.

Keep it up, and don't forget to record & share!

Written By: Step-chan on 09/02/07 at 6:05 pm

Cool. :)

I've never thought of doing that myself.

Although if I did that people would just be puzzled by it, although not shocked...

Unless I do one of my parodies about catgirls.

Written By: philbo on 09/03/07 at 8:31 am

One lady said this to me: "You didn't sing the lyrics on the screen!". Astute observation!  ;D

Well, duh!  But then, I've had people not even noticing (one time was busking in the centre of Doncaster round about midnight.. less said the better, methinks)

It's kind of fun - I never seem to get out when local pubs are doing their karaoke nights, though.  Last one I did was while out overnight working in Brighton - I would say it was pierless, but I'd be wrong.  The other problem is which parodies you can remember well enough that the DJ has...

Written By: Red Ant on 09/03/07 at 2:13 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Rex: Stuffing up my lines and sounding bad were my biggest fears. Once I started, I knew my voice was good, and after making it though the first chorus I had more confidence and got into it. When I go again I'll try to find a way to record what I sing.

Phil: No kidding about the song selection vs what you can remember. Before I signed up again, I was going to do "Fouth Mouthed Me" (heavily edited  ;)), but then I saw at the top of the sheet:

*NO HIP-HOP*      *NO RAP*

Aside from some Nirvana, most alternative music is not in karaoke (or MIDI) form, so nearly a third of my works will never be done in public or recorded.  :(

Ant

Written By: EthanM on 09/03/07 at 3:17 pm

Karaoke is a great way to perform, and during the past few weeks I discovered something called live band karaoke. They have a list of about 100 songs that the band can play and the give lyrics sheets to whoever needs it, and unfortunately there aren't a lot of overlaps between parodies I wat to sing and song they can play. But I'm writing based on their list which has been the best source of inspiration that I've had in years. I wrote 4 in the past week and haven't gotten around to posting them to amiright yet, but maybe I'll do it today.

Written By: Jason on 09/03/07 at 3:35 pm

Do you have a YouTube or similar video of your live performace by any chance?

Jason.

Written By: Step-chan on 09/03/07 at 6:19 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Rex: Stuffing up my lines and sounding bad were my biggest fears. Once I started, I knew my voice was good, and after making it though the first chorus I had more confidence and got into it. When I go again I'll try to find a way to record what I sing.

Phil: No kidding about the song selection vs what you can remember. Before I signed up again, I was going to do "Fouth Mouthed Me" (heavily edited  ;)), but then I saw at the top of the sheet:

*NO HIP-HOP*      *NO RAP*

Aside from some Nirvana, most alternative music is not in karaoke (or MIDI) form, so nearly a third of my works will never be done in public or recorded.  :(

Ant

I'm glad I can play some of my stuff on guitar, although I need a band to do some of stuff because of the lack of alt. rock(I tend to play the rarer stuff on guitar).

I wonder if they have Drain You on karaoke...

Written By: Red Ant on 09/03/07 at 7:55 pm

No video Jason: I didn't know there was karaoke that night until after I got there.

Step-chan: I seriously doubt anyone has Drain You for karaoke. The only Nirvana tracks I've seen so far is SLTS, Come As You Are, and maybe All Apologies.

Ethan: Abandoning top 40 for something someone will actually play?!  :o

Ant

Written By: EthanM on 09/03/07 at 11:04 pm

I'm not planning on abandoning top 40...most of the songs on their list were top 40 once, although the most recent song that they have is since u been gone by kellly clarkson. I did that one, which is tough to sing but at least that gives me an excuse to miss most of the notes. The other 3 I parodied to sing with them are wonderwall, its still rock and roll to me, and you oughta know (another very tough vocal but i tried anyway)

There wasn't any *No Rap or hip hop * there, and last night I heard quite a spirited rendition (not a term I'd use outside of message boards) of 99 problems.

Written By: philbo on 09/04/07 at 3:32 am

... The other 3 I parodied to sing with them are wonderwall, ...

I've performed my "Wonderwall" parody a few times at karaoke nights... to varying levels of jaw-dropping and disbelief :)

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 09/04/07 at 7:47 am

Bravo, Jack!
I've done straight karaoke a number of times, but it must take some cojones to get up and sing a parodised version of the OS in front of an unsuspecting audience. You could call it "Guerrilla Karaoke"! Big thumbs up.... ;)

Written By: Step-chan on 09/04/07 at 4:54 pm

No video Jason: I didn't know there was karaoke that night until after I got there.

Step-chan: I seriously doubt anyone has Drain You for karaoke. The only Nirvana tracks I've seen so far is SLTS, Come As You Are, and maybe All Apologies.

Ethan: Abandoning top 40 for something someone will actually play?!  :o

Ant

Good thing I know how to play it on guitar(it was one of the earlier songs I learned to play).

Written By: jreuben on 09/05/07 at 9:35 pm

I had plans to go out tonight with some former coworkers. All we were going to do is have a few drinks at the Bourbon Street Bar (formerly "Bones") and reminisce about how crappy our old jobs were (we're all from the same hotel). Turns out the bar we were going to was hosting karaoke, starting at 9:30PM.

I walked up to the DJ and asked about singing my own version to a song and if that was okay. "Sure, as long as there is no swearing, harsh swearing that is" was the reply. So, I signed my name and song.

At one point I scratched my name from the list because I thought the original song would have noticeable backing vocals in it. Turns out there were not many at all, so I signed back up.

An hour went by, and right as I was about to be called they went to intermission. Six irritating dance tunes in a row, and I was about to leave when the DJ came back. He called my name...

*butterflies on crack are flying full speed in my stomach, but it's too late to turn back now*

I get up to the mic (a Shure SM58) and asked the crowd, who had already heard a ton of country songs, "Do you like Garth Brooks?". Tepid response. "Do you like sex?" Finally, some cheers!
"I've written a little something different for 'Friends In Low Places', and I'm gonna sing it for y'all tonight"

I proceeded to sing "I've Had Sex In Strange Places". Man, did I get some looks! Mostly "what the hell..." or deer caught in headlight looks, but I had a blast singing it. I saw a few people smiling and laughing, particularly after the "hole in one" line.  If I may say so, I did a damned good job. I was worried about forgetting the lines, but they came to me. Over the booming PA system, I managed to have a lot more low end than my recording did.

When I got done I got a pretty good applause, several handshakes, and even a few high fives from a woman who knew what parody was!  She asked me if I was like Weird Al. I told her yes, minus the videos and professional recording gear, money... and fame. She said "And you don't have the hair", to which I replied "I can't play the accordion either, but I consider that a plus." I talked to Kyle, who sang "Sweet Caroline" before the intermission and did an amazing job at it, and he was impressed with my song. We exchanged numbers for potential future collaboration.

One thing I heard, twice, was someone say "Watch your mouth".  ??? I wasn't profane, I don't even know where it came from (might be in the software to autoplay when someone cusses and misinterpreted my lyrics...). I don't care either!

Also, FILP has 4 outro choruses, so after I was done I asked the DJ to fade out the track.

The best thing is I got my performance cherry popped tonight: yes, it was my first time singing in public, and in front of no less than 100 people. Maybe a third were listening to (or into) the performance, but I didn't get any booing or negative reactions, so I was happy.

Ant

Congrats!  Glad you got one out of the way, and it sounds like it went well!

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/06/07 at 7:59 am

Congrats Red!

I've been there a number of times, but a capella at an open mike night, with varying degrees of appreciation and applause from up to 15 people (it wasn't a very big venue, nor a well-established "happening" event, but an event nonetheless).

My biggest stumbling block, however, is that I can't remember my own lyrics and need to rely on cheat sheets!

Written By: adagio on 09/09/07 at 6:50 am

Big Congrats, Jack.  Yea...share that voice with us!!

I'm a person who gets anxiety attacks in a choir, no less, if we're singing in front of people,  ???  so that esp. is an accomplishment!

Written By: Red Ant on 09/10/07 at 6:55 pm

Thanks Kristof, Jeff, Aggy and Pat!

Kristof: Guerilla Karaoke, LOL! The audience got a bit of a heads up as to what I was gonna do, but not much.

Aggy: Endlessly singing and recording my works is the only way I have found to remember all the lyrics. Reading them alone does nothing for me. I've done "Foul Mouthed Me" enough times that I don't need to look at the lyrics anymore. Of course, I don't remember how "Without Me" goes now, but it's a fair trade.  ;D

Pat: I have done a few songs which are on mine and Dave's Soundclick page:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandID=663425

The first four listed are sung by me, the others were sung by Below Average Dave.

Ant

Written By: philbo on 09/11/07 at 4:20 am

Aggy: Endlessly singing and recording my works is the only way I have found to remember all the lyrics. Reading them alone does nothing for me. I've done "Foul Mouthed Me" enough times that I don't need to look at the lyrics anymore. Of course, I don't remember how "Without Me" goes now, but it's a fair trade.  ;D

There's been a few numbers I've done a very quick-and-dirty recording to CD and played that in the car while driving so I can learn the words.  (What's more unusual is re-doing the recording once I know how to sing it properly).

Have you considered doing a "Foul Mouthed Me" parody to "Doh Re Mi"?  Seems to me like it would be a great musical counterpoint to the Eminem tune.  Just a thought...

Hope I'm not poaching the thread by adding: on Saturday I did an open mike night, and played my first two numbers on my new ukulele (two George Formby parodies, this one and this one).  To say "brought the house down" might be exaggerating, but only a little (and that's even with my stumblings & mistakes - I still haven't managed to learn them yet).  The uke is a fantastic comedy performance instrument, although it does make one try to sing in a high slightly-nasal Lancashire accent.

As a result, and partly as a result of the way the compere & sound bod joked about the size of it, I've written an original (Formby-style, rather than parody) which I'll record soon, too, all about something being rather small.

Check for new replies or respond here...