inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Longest OS parodied?

Written By: Max Power on 10/05/07 at 8:12 pm

What is the longest OS that was parodied?

Subject: Re: Longest OS parodied?

Written By: skittlesking on 10/05/07 at 8:24 pm

I'm not sure. . .but it wasn't by me. . :)

Written By: Red Ant on 10/05/07 at 8:28 pm

In a Gadda Da Vida is the longest I've done: its run time is ~17:10.

2112 by Rush is 20 minutes long. It's been done twice on AmiRight. That might be the record.

Ant

Written By: philbo on 10/08/07 at 10:19 am

2112 by Rush is 20 minutes long.

Does that mean it finishes at 2132?

Does seem a bit like a challenge, doesn't it?

Fish said that Misplaced Childhood the album was intended as a single entity (indeed, when I saw Marillion on tour, having played a whole set without any songs from the new album, he announced the last song of the evening... and went on to play the whole album)

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/10/07 at 8:08 am

Rick Duncan completed his parody of Yes' "Close To The Edge" (clocking in at 18:44) as "Klause Do The Hedge".
http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/yes4.shtml

I think that's the winner.
8)

Written By: nally on 10/10/07 at 2:19 pm

What is the longest OS that was parodied?

I'm tempted to say "American Pie", which is over 8 minutes long in its entirety...but you guys have listed some songs that are over 10 minutes in length that I've never heard before. So I would be wrong.

Rick Duncan completed his parody of Yes' "Close To The Edge" (clocking in at 18:44) as "Klause Do The Hedge".
http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/yes4.shtml

I think that's the winner.
8)

I don't even know that one. :-\\

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/10/07 at 2:32 pm

I would be curious to know which parody is the longest in terms of actual lines and/or text without repetition? You might have a long song, but something like Pink Floyd's "Echoes" (clocking in at 23:53 or so) only has three verses and 2 choruses spread out amongst it.

Maybe Rick's "Hedge" achieves that, but I come in pretty close with my gargantuan "No Paradise At The Old Campsite" and "Everyone's Doomed"...and of course, there is the hot potato of "Desolation Row" parodies that have cropped up.

Written By: Red Ant on 10/10/07 at 3:02 pm

Not sure the run time on this one, but it's long:

Rapper's Delight

BTW, the longest song title is not a Dylan or Pearl Jam song, it's this:

"The Sad But True Story Of Ray Mingus, The Lumberjack Of Bulk Rock City, And His Never Slacking Stribe In Exploiting The So Far Undiscovered Areas Of The Intention To Bodily Intercourse From The Opposite Species Of His Kind, During Intake Of All The Mental Condition That Could Be Derived From Fermentation."

Source

Here's some other long songs no one has ever heard of:

http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?boardid=41&threadid=20298

This entry stood out:

"I'm pretty sure this is the winner: Marathon by Mark Mallman. He is a local singer/songwriter/eccentric punk Billy Joel guy in Minneapolis that did a song called Marathon that lasted for 26 1/2 hours. He performed it at a bar called the Turf Club and subbed in and out musicians in shifts (he stayed the whole time)....I went three times during the duration and it was quite amazing. He had over 300 pages of typed lyrics written."

Jethro Tull's "Thick As A Brick", at 44 minutes long, is perhaps the limit of what can actually be parodied.

How long would it take to sing 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall?  ;D

Ant

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/10/07 at 4:02 pm

BTW, the longest song title is not a Dylan or Pearl Jam song, it's this:

"The Sad But True Story Of Ray Mingus, The Lumberjack Of Bulk Rock City, And His Never Slacking Stribe In Exploiting The So Far Undiscovered Areas Of The Intention To Bodily Intercourse From The Opposite Species Of His Kind, During Intake Of All The Mental Condition That Could Be Derived From Fermentation."

Damn! I always thought it was Ray Stevens' "Jeremiah Peabody's Poly Unsaturated Quick Dissolving Fast Acting Pleasant Tasting Green And Purple Pills" or "Ned Nostril (And His South Seas Paradise, Puts Your Blues On Ice, Cheap At Twice The Price Band--Ikky-Ikky, Ukky-Ukky)"!!

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/10/07 at 4:07 pm

Here's some other long songs no one has ever heard of:

http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?boardid=41&threadid=20298

This entry stood out:

"I'm pretty sure this is the winner: Marathon by Mark Mallman. He is a local singer/songwriter/eccentric punk Billy Joel guy in Minneapolis that did a song called Marathon that lasted for 26 1/2 hours. He performed it at a bar called the Turf Club and subbed in and out musicians in shifts (he stayed the whole time)....I went three times during the duration and it was quite amazing. He had over 300 pages of typed lyrics written."

Jethro Tull's "Thick As A Brick", at 44 minutes long, is perhaps the limit of what can actually be parodied.

How long would it take to sing 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall?  ;D

Ant

But there's still that infernal Devil Glitch...  ;) http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=27284.0

Check for new replies or respond here...