inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Song Parody Author Survey

Written By: Step-chan on 10/11/07 at 4:01 pm

I've seen(and posted on) survey threads before and thought I would do one for this board. :)

1. What was your first parody?

2. How many parody contests/requests have you been involved in?

3. What is the weirdest parody you ever wrote?

4. Which parodies that you wrote are your favorites?

5. What parody themes do you like to do the most?

6. What parody themes do you rarely do?

7. What parody themes will you never do?

8. What bands do you like to parody the most?

9. Which music genres are you the most experienced at?

10. Which music genres are you the least experienced at?

11. What was the easiest song you ever parodied?

12. What was the hardest song you ever parodied?

13. What type of approaches do you use when writing parodies?(Like improving, using song lyrics as a guide with recording, sing out loud, sing in your head, etc.)

14. What songs do you really want to parody(but can't right now, you can list why you want to as well)?

Subject: Re: Song Parody Author Survey

Written By: skittlesking on 10/11/07 at 4:22 pm

Back when I was a little kid I wrote "Wind Beneath My Butt", I was hesitant about posting it here
    My first recording was "The Shaving Song" as Below Average Dave, No Hos however was my first try quite some time ago
    My first AmIRight parody was "The Meat Song"

Um, too many to count, although I'm building a website that may answer this for anyone involved.
  Among them, SOTM, POTM, ABC, Gross Out, Ages, Decathlon 2, Artistry, Request Hour, Daily Challenge

Up for debate, but probably "B.A.D. Disgrace", "Priority", or "Antarctican Terrorist"--Green Day is fun to be weird with.

Well, "B.A.D. Disgrace" because it's about me, "Antarctican Terrorist" again, and probably "Underpaid" which I hope to record soon.

Theme as in type of parody?  Probably personal or self depreciation "B.A.D. Disgrace", "Everything He Flaunts", "Every Sunday", etc

Um, List parodies, I don't care for them because they are, well, lists--I prefer stories

So far List Parodies, but I won't say never, I will never do an anti-gay or racist parody as I am an advocate for equality
  I also don't intend to do any major political parodies as I don't support either party
  I try to steer clear of judgmental parodies also (IE Britney or Crime bashing) though I won't say never, because we all have regrets

Green Day, Evanescence, Destiny's Child (They are great targets), Madonna, Ace of Base, I hope to add "Salt N Pepa" soon

Punk, Ballad (Frank Sinatra/Dean Martin), Teen Pop (Boy Bands etc), Dance, R&B, Ska, Grunge, Hip Hop

Country, Rap, Metal, Acoustic, Classical, Broadway (although I hope to change that), Blues (again, hope to change that too)

Without a doubt: Aqua's "Barbie Girl". . .Though I've only posted "South Park", the songs simplistic rhyme scheme has allowed me to write a grand total of 19 parodies to that song.

Without any doubt whatsoever: Jason Mraz "Curbside Prophet". . .Nothing else even compares that I've attempted, not Eminem, not Beyonce, not even Prodigy---I am to date the only "Curbside Prophet" parody on the site as a result--it's difficult

13. What type of approaches do you use when writing parodies?(Like improving, using song lyrics as a guide with recording, sing out loud, sing in your head, etc.)
    I listen to the song days before I parody it and lividly learn the original, I try to karaoke as best as possible (since in addition to writing I record most my work)  I also do my best to follow the general rhymes and theme as the original, it makes for an easier transition for readers and give me a unique twist in my parodies (IE Beat It by Michael Jackson was a fight song where one 'gang' is fighting another 'gang', my Bowl It is still a fight song, but now it's about Bowling where I'm on one 'team' and their is an opposing 'team')  I find that finding a theme to the original song and finding a theme that is along the same lines, but bizarrely different is a great way to come up with off the wall ideas (IE American Idiot by Green Day is a political criticism about war, well "Antarctican Terrorist" is about political war too, but in my parody, penguins are the terrorists and the world is the political unit on defense)

14. What songs do you really want to parody(but can't right now, you can list why you want to as well)?

Avril Lavigne's Girlfriend (Ethan did a parody of this song that really inspired me to want to hit this juvenile song as well)
    Green Day's Holiday (I love the OS)
    Salt N Pepa's Let's Talk About Sex (OS is inspiring and I'd love to add it to my list)
    REM's It's The End of the World as we Know It (Believe it or not, I have parodied this, waiting for a backing track to be available)
    Barenaked Ladies' One Week (Same, I've written one, but won't submit it without a recording because of the difficult)

Hey Stephen, I really like this, I would like to ask your permission to add these questions to the optional profiles at badave.com, I think they'd be fun to offer to members!

Written By: Red Ant on 10/11/07 at 4:47 pm

Good thread, Step-chan!

1. What was your first parody? - Hard to tell since I wrote a few back in 1997 that are not dated. The first on this site and one of the oldest of mine is this one.

2. How many parody contests/requests have you been involved in? - ~29 SOTM/SOTY, ~46 ABC, 3 POTM as well as a few Artistry rounds, Gross-Out 2, Bad Song, Halloween '06, Tribute, Slammin Hollywood, AiC/Nirvana / Alternative Contest (with Step-chan) and the Great Parody Challenge, so ~ 87 contests.

Group efforts include White Trash, Request Hour, Decking the Wall, Brangelina, Jesterdays thread and ARFOM' "Turn It Off". Devil's Glitch and 99BoBotW are still pending.

3. What is the weirdest parody you ever wrote? - hmm, probably this one.

4. Which parodies that you wrote are your favorites? they're on my bio.

5. What parody themes do you like to do the most? Whatever comes to mind. By numbers though, song satires, gross themes and misheard lyric parodies are what I've done the most. I like self deprecation and odd themes the best.

6. What parody themes do you rarely do? Politics and religion

7. What parody themes will you never do? Never do... well, I don't see a "God Bless The KKK" parody appearing in my catalog any time soon... iow, anything praising idiots will not be done.

8. What bands do you like to parody the most? - The Beatles, Nirvana and Alice in Chains

9. Which music genres are you the most experienced at? Alternative, hard rock

10. Which music genres are you the least experienced at? Disco, country

11. What was the easiest song you ever parodied? - "Wild Honey Pie"

12. What was the hardest song you ever parodied? - "Lose Yourself" 

13. What type of approaches do you use when writing parodies?(Like improving, using song lyrics as a guide with recording, sing out loud, sing in your head, etc.) - Oh boy, this isn't an easy answer...

My approach changes all the time. In the early months (Feb-April 2005), I went by memory, listening to TOS, or printing out the lyrics and making changes on paper and typed everything onto the submission form. Most of these have enough pacing errors that singing them without rewriting lines would be a difficult task.

April-October 2005, it was mainly by downloaded lyrics and listening to TOS. From October 2005 until December 2006, it was by downloaded lyrics that had been formatted to represent every possible detail of TOS to save me from listening to it 30 or more times while making the parody. Most of these were impromptu karaoked as well.

This year I've switched up methods (and added paraoke as a method) , but I've recorded several of my works. I've found (much to my dismay) that a what is perfectly paced on screen doesn't always make for an easy sing, and also that some songs can have massive 'pacing errors' in them and still be quite recordable.

14. What songs do you really want to parody(but can't right now, you can list why you want to as well)? - right now, there aren't any songs that I really feel a need or want to parody. I'm sure though a target will present itself though, they always do.  ;) 

Ant

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/11/07 at 5:09 pm

1. What was your first parody? The first submitted Amiright parody was "Nudist Colony 9" (I think, it wasone of a handful I had already in archives). My first actual, written out parody had to be something like "Ron & Nancy" (Jack & Diane) or "SMoke it AwaY" (Take It Away). I first started formulating parodies as a kid...probably "On Top Of Spaghetti" was turned into the badly paced "On Top Of Macaroni And Cheese" when I was around 8 years old or so.  ;D

2. How many parody contests/requests have you been involved in? SOTM, ABC, Halloween, Artistry, Pimp Your Tunes, Request Hour, Gross, Rap, Halloween Costume, Decathlon Mark 2, Xmas, Ages, Pirates Who Penstanzas, Decking The Wall, White Trash Album, The Devil Glitch.

3. What is the weirdest parody you ever wrote? That is too subjective, with too many to choose from. :D

4. Which parodies that you wrote are your favorites? No Paradise At The Old Campsite, The Nativity, The Story Of Dumbo, Birth, Blog Reports On Harry Potter.

5. What parody themes do you like to do the most? just a quirky, original thought...full-blown stories are hard to do sometimes, but they have certainly been the most rewarding when they all work out properly

6. What parody themes do you rarely do? Sex, current events/politics, sports

7. What parody themes will you never do? scatalogical or racist humor

8. What bands do you like to parody the most? I've blown away Pink Floyd, Madonna and Prince. I (obviously) prefer to do artists that have never been done, or rarely have been done.

9. Which music genres are you the most experienced at? Rock and roll, but especially off-the-beaten path styles.

10. Which music genres are you the least experienced at? Current pop and rap.

11. What was the easiest song you ever parodied? Walking With A Ghost ("Ketchup On My Toast"), Brown Sugar("Braunschweiger"), and I'm A Wheel (I'm A Seal")

12. What was the hardest song you ever parodied? Paradise By The Dashboard Light ("No Paradise At The Old Campsite"), O.P.P. ("S.L.C."), Sing For The Moment ("Sting At The Moment"). Anything requiring further research is hard.

13. What type of approaches do you use when writing parodies? Printout lyrics from the net. Count syllables on my fingers where needed. Scratch out lyrics on my printout, usually on the trainride to and from work--longer parodies done at home.  Sing along with available recording or Youtube guide. Transfer to WORD or directly at Amiright submission page.

"Smack Jack" by Nina Hagen--I challenged Cat to do so, but she seems to have forgotten about it. I want to give her the chance to get it done!! :D

Written By: Matthias on 10/11/07 at 5:30 pm

Very intresting thread

My first parody wasn't even written for Amiright. It was when I started writing just for fun when I was big into listening to Weird Al, at a very early age. The first parody I remember writing was "Darth Vader Boi" to Avril Lavigne's "Sk8er Boi". When I first submitted to Amiright I didn't even submit it under my current name. I used a pen name I went by at the time. Seeing that I was very young this pen name was very stupid and was "Guy T. Dude". The first parody I posted under my name was "Let's Bomb Ossama" a parody of "Hakuna Matata". Which looking back at it was also horrible.

Too many to even remember. I don't keep track of them as well as Red Ant. Let's see here....

I've been in many SOTMs, and ABCs.
I've been in The Brangelia - Amiright Musical (Lead by Stuart McArthur)
I've been in the Pirate who Pen Stanzas - Amiright Opera (Lead by Stuart McArthur)
I've been in The White Trash Story (Lead by Me)
I've been in Decathlon (Lead by Kristof Robertson)
I've been in The Great Parody Challenge (Lead by Tomario)
I've been in Ages of Amiright (Lead by me)
I've been in The Request Hour (Lead by Cat)
I've been in Artistry (Lead by Below Average Dave)
I've been in Decathlon: Mark 2 (Lead by Me)
I've been in the Halloween challenge (Lead by... Err... Red Ant? I think)
I've been in POTM (Lead by Below Average Dave)
I've been in Decking The Wall (Lead by Agrimorfee)
I've worked on "Turn It Off" (Lead by Red Ant)
I've worked on the 99 Bottles of Beer parody (Lead by Red Ant)
I've worked on the 404 Parody Challange (Lead by Chucky G)
I've been in The Gross Out Contest: Part Doo (Lead by Red Ant)

Like I said... I've been in a lot.

"Oompa Loompa Riot", without a doubt

"Puddy-Tat", "Living Like I'm 70", "Oompa Loompa Riot", "Poodle Puddle Cleaner", "Full Graveyard Of Cliched Screams", and "Frat Play"

Strange topics... Which is where "Oompa Loompa Riot", "Poodle Puddle Cleaner", "Uneasy Writer", and many others came from

Politics, and Religion

Poop Parodies... I despise them

Whichever bands are calling me to make fun of them at the time

Country, Broadway, Disney, and Christmas

Rap, R&B, Disco, Techo, Christian Rock

"Silent Night", especially since I had a good idea at the time for it, and I just watched "Clerks 2" like 50 times before writing it

"Cleaning Out My Closet"

Whew...

I use Rhymezone, as well as the lyrics which I find on the Internet.
I have two perhaps three windows up at the time of writing. One of these windows is Rhymezone, another is AZ Lyrics, and the third is Youtube
I also have to have the song playing at the time so I can play it and see if it scans over what I've written
I also sing it to see if it scans, because sometimes my eyes are too slow to see if it's pacing correctly
I also count syllables to see if it paces

Songs that haven't been written yet, and songs that I haven't heard yet. I've been here for 5 years, I think I can parody just about any song. Not that I'm offering to take anybody on with this, but I think I have enough experiance under my belt to handle just about anything.
Songs that are on my To-Do list are

1. "Through Fire And Flames" by Dragonforce
2. "Quote Unquote" by Mr. Bungle
3. "It's The End Of The World As We Know It" by REM
4. "Marshall Matters" by Eminem
5. "Don't Let Me Get Me" by Pink

Written By: Red Ant on 10/11/07 at 5:40 pm

Yeah, I lead Halloween 06. Weren't you in gross-out 2 also, Matthias?

I forgot about White Trash, Request Hour and Brangelina, and you Aggy and I all forgot about The Crazy Diamonds Pink Floyd Project - iirc, it was quite a challenge to do the entire Wall album before Christmas.

Ant

Written By: Step-chan on 10/11/07 at 5:52 pm

Okay, I'll do mine now(and talk to BAD in a minute about this through PM)

Training Trip, parody of Nirvana's Sliver. I wrote it around 1999-2000. It's also my first parody submission on amiright. I think my first idea might have been to "The One I Love" By REM, but I never wrote it.

I've done 5 in total. 2 with Red Ant, 1 with Meat!(Dominic L), one in the 2 week parody challenge(by Tomario) and 1 in the amiright all hour song parody request thread(Cat)

That would be a tie between my parodies of Smells Like Teen Spirit(Looks Like A Weird Parody) and Heart Shaped Box(Cute Weird Songs)

Catgirl Love(Hairspray Queen parody), Whip Me(Rape Me parody),The Reason I Should Never Write Parodies While Drunk(Mrs. Butterworth parody), Helene(Iris parody, by The Breeders, not The Goo Goo Dolls); Yomi, Can I Become Your Boyfriend(Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam parody) and Find Me A Catgirl(Buy Me A Condo parody)... I have plenty that I can list, but these I really liked how they turned out.

I like using anime, video game, animal girl and nonsensical themes the most, I will also mix these themes sometimes.

Toilet humor and political themes, I don't have a problem with toilet humor, but I try to do it rarely. I'm not very big on politics, the only things I've ever did that almost counts as political are about the FCC

Themes involving racism and bigotry, I hate those type of things. I will also never do sports based parodies, but only because I have no interest and technical experience in sports.

Nirvana mainly, but I also like doing ones to Alice In Chains, The Smithereens, Tom Petty and Aerosmith. Although there are others I will start to do in the near future.

Grunge, Rock and Pop.

Rap and Country, I have no actual experience with Country and have wrote alittle to a Rap song that I have yet to finish

Sliver by Nirvana, it's pretty short and I usually end up with good results from it

Take Me Home Tonight by Eddie Money comes to mind, there are some lyrics in that song that I had to really brain storm and improv on just to finish the parody to it

I listen and improv to the songs first, improving helps me think of ideas(or if I have the idea down, helps me think of some possible lyrics in the process), then I get the lyrics and use them as a guide while listening to the OS. I sing out loud to the song, I tend to get lost when doing it in my head

Buffy's Pregnant, by Kurt Cobain from his Fecal Matter Demo. Youtube has a couple of recordings of it in edit form(not the full song though). Here it is. It's a shame the full recording of it hasn't leaked... I have a good idea for a naughty parody of it that I could put on whatfreaks.

Edit: A note on question 13, when I started out writing, I never really did what I do now when writing parodies. Of course, I used to only write parodies to play on guitar and record.

Written By: Rex on 10/11/07 at 7:51 pm

When I was a baby, I started singing "Goo Gee Goo Ga Ga" to "Ooh Ee Ooh Ah Ah". My first parody on AmIRight is "Acne Zit From Hell" which I paced from memory (and soon learned not to do that).

ABC, SOTM, Artistry, Chucky's "404" request, and probably a couple of others I can't recall at the moment. I also won the contest for the best parody about Hugh Hefner, because (1) it was my contest, and (2) I didn't tell anyone else about it.

Perhaps http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/jimmydean18.shtml. You just don't see a lot of songs about professional fart lighters these days.

"4th of July" and "Driving In a Winter Wonderland". Ask me again tomorrow and I'll give you a different answer.

Christmas. There's something about Santa that just sleighs me.

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens, brown paper packages tied up with strings.

I will never write a parody about a left-handed albino hermaphrodite. I swear it.

For some reason, U.S. pop bands of the sixties and seventies seem to work for me quite often. Also the fleugsnarfle bands of Alpha Centauri, but of course I only post those parodies on the outernet.

Pop and rock. And fleugsnarfle.

Albanian rap.

Let It Snow. Short and simple, just like me.

Won't Get Fooled Again. Who are those guys anyway?

I start with a printout of the original lyrics and work with those until I have much if not all of a first draft. Then I listen to the OS and tweak as needed. Then I throw it out and hire a ghost writer.

I don't work that way. I typically don't look for songs to parody, I get parody ideas and then I look for the right song to fit the idea. When I match a parody idea to a song, I celebrate with a beer. When I can't find a song to match my parody idea, I drown my sorrow in a beer. Then I write a parody about beer: http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/andywilliams18.shtml

Written By: Step-chan on 10/11/07 at 9:05 pm

I think in my case(with question 14), I just don't come up with ideas without hearing the song first(or part of it)... I don't know.. I might have parody ideas before without a song....  But it was probably once or twice.

Edit: Fixed grammer.

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/12/07 at 7:40 am

Parody ideas to a specific songs just pop into my head (often from "misheard" lyrics), and my brain goes "this has to be done, this has to be done..."  :D. It can be quite an obsessive thing when I have to put aside my writing for real world issues.  :-\\

Sometimes though my best work has come from challenges I gave myself or someone else gave to me.

EDIT: My list of contests/challenges above has been revised thanks to everybody else's mentions.

Written By: philbo on 10/12/07 at 8:09 am

I've seen(and posted on) survey threads before and thought I would do one for this board. :)

I don't normally do these survey threads, but I've enjoyed reading what some of the others have said, so I guess I'd better return the favour...

My first parody was probably "Spewing your guts up", to Bucks Fizz's Eurovision song contest winner "Making your mind up" - a joint effort with my sister when we were ten/twelve or so.  I did a few through school, but only really started churning 'em out once I'd found amiright.  First one submitted to amiright was Thunderthighs (a Wonderwall parody).. if you ignore the null-date-error "Dear Buffy" which says it was submitted in 1969 ;)

Afraid I don't keep track...

There's lots of different kinds of weird, but probably "Stream of Consciousness" to "Across the Universe"

It varies.. "See Your Chest" has to be there, as does "Mend my PC".  But I have a feeling I'd end up listing a few dozen if I carry on

Religion & politics.  And tits.

Serious parodies... I have done one or two, so that does count as "rarely"

Never say "never"...

Looking at the list, it has to be The Beatles (followed by G&S... not a "band", but WTH)

60s, 80s metal, operetta

Rap

I think "Yesterday" is probably the easiest song to parody - it's a nice rhythm that everybody knows, which makes parodying it that much easier

Probably "My name is... Slim Shady"

It varies - what everyone else has said, at some time or another

None right now - once a song gets itself into my head, it gets done pretty darn quick.  If only to get it out of my head again.

7. What parody themes will you never do? Never do... well, I don't see a "God Bless The KKK" parody appearing in my catalog any time soon...

Why not?  I'm sure you could make it an absolute hoot, Jack :)

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/12/07 at 10:53 am

Another contest that we participated in, long forgotten...

The "Slamming Hollywood" Competition (see my entry to jog your memory...http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/thepolice49.shtml)

Written By: Matthias on 10/12/07 at 10:59 am

Another contest that we participated in, long forgotten...

The "Slamming Hollywood" Competition (see my entry to jog your memory...http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/thepolice49.shtml)

That's right... I lead that one

Written By: Red Ant on 10/12/07 at 12:27 pm

While not a contest, many of us have done "Jesterdays", too. Also, if we're counting group efforts, we must remember "Turn It Off" as well as previous muti-author ARFOM contributions.

Ant

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/12/07 at 12:42 pm

Also, if we're counting group efforts, we must remember "Turn It Off" as well as previous muti-author ARFOM contributions.

Ant

I was in on that, as well as "The Dreck Called American Idol" and Banned Aid's "Christmas Tree".

Written By: Red Ant on 10/12/07 at 12:44 pm

I was in on that, as well as "The Dreck Called American Idol" and Banned Aid's "Christmas Tree".

Yep. Did Josh 2 start Banned Aid? I think I contributed 2 lines to that, lol.

Ant

Written By: Step-chan on 10/12/07 at 2:29 pm

Parody ideas to a specific songs just pop into my head (often from "misheard" lyrics), and my brain goes "this has to be done, this has to be done..."  :D. It can be quite an obsessive thing when I have to put aside my writing for real world issues.  :-\\

Sometimes though my best work has come from challenges I gave myself or someone else gave to me.

EDIT: My list of contests/challenges above has been revised thanks to everybody else's mentions.

Well, I have had that happen before(and I know the feeling of wanting to get parodies wrote down, I have well over 20 ideas in backstock)... but it usually happens with the bands I'm the most experienced with(Nirvana or anything that Kurt wrote for example).

Now, I have to at least hear the song once or twice before in order for me to come up with ideas to a song when not listening to it(for instance, I heard the clips of Buffy's Pregnant last year and have listened to them on and off since then.... But I came up with the idea for a parody to Buffy's Pregnant while outside somewhere earlier this week, it might have been after leaving the library, I don't have a Ipod, MP3 player or a CD walkman. I do have a cassette walkman, but haven't recorded the clips of the song).

The thing is, there is someone on livenirvana who has the FM Demo(which is what Buffy's Pregnant is on). But I can't ask him for a full recording of the song. Mainly because it wouldn't be right to bug him over it(would you let someone have a recording of a song just so they can do a song parody of it? That's a tricky question to answer, as it is up to the person).

While not a contest, many of us have done "Jesterdays", too. Also, if we're counting group efforts, we must remember "Turn It Off" as well as previous muti-author ARFOM contributions.

Ant

I forgot about that one, it that counts that would be 6 I participated in.

Written By: wildcard on 10/12/07 at 2:32 pm

1. What was your first parody?  Stuck In A Hooplaful Zoo.  I started from scratch with my parody writing at Amiright.  

2. How many parody contests/requests have you been involved in? Request Hour and B.A.D. Daily Challenge.  

3. What is the weirdest parody you ever wrote?  Probably I'm The Only Stray Escargot

4. Which parodies that you wrote are your favorites? I know Bathroom is one of them.  

5. What parody themes do you like to do the most? I like to make fun of myself  and just rhymeing, punning, and jokeing.  Whatever Idea I get like Writers Bock to At The Hop I insert and fill in the rest.

6. What parody themes do you rarely do?   Iv'e done a couple of dog and cat s*** parodies that I guess would fall into the catagory of toilet humor

7. What parody themes will you never do?  (I'm changing never to least likely) politics  

8. What bands do you like to parody the most? Don't have one

9. Which music genres are you the most experienced at? Oldies classic rock moastly before the 90's

10. Which music genres are you the least experienced at?  Probably more then I can think of.  Iv'e been born with hearing problems and now There additional brain related problemslost

11. What was the easiest song you ever parodied?  When You Wish Upon A Star  I remember doing pretty quickly

12. What was the hardest song you ever parodied?  Desolation Row

13. What type of approaches do you use when writing parodies?(Like improving, using song lyrics as a guide with recording, sing out loud, sing in your head, etc.) I sing in my head and sometimes out loud.  With requests for songs I don't know and can't hear correctly at this time; I focus on the rhymes and pacing.

14. What songs do you really want to parody(but can't right now, you can list why you want to as well)? Touch of Grey by Greatful Dead.  I don't have any ideas for it right now and the second I write it I'd want to sing it.  I cant find any midis right now.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/12/07 at 2:38 pm

^ There used to be a midi of Anorexorcist(Nirvana) on the net, but I can't find it now. I want do my parody of that song over a midi of it, I'll probably have to ask someone on livenirvana.

On a sidenote, I'm going to have to add to my survey answers...(mainly because of the first question)

I might have had an idea to "The One I Love" by REM before my first wrote parody(Sliver parody), but I never wrote it.

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/12/07 at 2:53 pm

The thing is, there is someone on livenirvana who has the FM Demo(which is what Buffy's Pregnant is on). But I can't ask him for a full recording of the song. Mainly because it wouldn't be right to bug him over it(would you let someone have a recording of a song just so they can do a song parody of it? That's a tricky question to answer, as it is up to the person).

Having no downloading capabilities sucks, indeed, SC. I feel left out of things at the music board I hang out at when they "trout" stuff through yousendit and other sites. :-\\

But, if you are a trusted 'net buddy, sometimes folks will be nice enough to burn copies of albums/songs for you and mail 'em for nothing. That does take time, I know.

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/12/07 at 2:58 pm

13. What type of approaches do you use when writing parodies?(Like improving, using song lyrics as a guide with recording, sing out loud, sing in your head, etc.) I sing in my head and sometimes out loud.  With requests for songs I don't know and can't hear correctly at this time; I focus on the rhymes and pacing.

Some people don't trust writing a parody without hearing the OS, but it CAN be done. A few of my Prince parodies were done that way, most significantly, "The Most Pointless Song Parody Ever Written" to "Pope". If I commit myself to a song that I haven't heard before (and isn't within Youtube reach), I always compare the lyric sheets of a few Web sites before starting out on it.

i've been lucky that the singer's pacing was (more or less) accurate, though.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/12/07 at 3:59 pm

Having no downloading capabilities sucks, indeed, SC. I feel left out of things at the music board I hang out at when they "trout" stuff through yousendit and other sites. :-\\

But, if you are a trusted 'net buddy, sometimes folks will be nice enough to burn copies of albums/songs for you and mail 'em for nothing. That does take time, I know.

I somehow closed the window when typing(now I have to do all over again..... %^%$$)

One song from the FM Demo has been offically released, Spank Thru, which survived to be a Nirvana song.

Shortly after that, two unknown song clips leaked by some unknown person which led to something else shortly afterward by....

William Clarke, who has a copy of the FM Demo, posted clips of most of the songs(minus the released one and a collage), including a 44 second clip of "Buffy's Pregnant".(Which I listened to repeatedly while on the computer at the library when posting on here)

Then after that, 3 FM Demo songs: Sound Of Dentage, Bambi Slaughter and Laminated Effect, leaked in full(I have all three of these favorited on my youtube account).

Some others also leaked in slighty longer form. Another of Buffy's Pregnant popped up as well, at 2:55 length which I linked up in my survey post(The person was recording it over an open mic and talking during it, he edited out most of the bits where he said something, except at the end of when he comments on the song with someone else). The actual length of Buffy's Pregnant is alittle over 4 minutes... And there is only a partial transcription of the lyrics, if there were a more full accurate lyric transcription, I could try to do it, since the chorus I've heard enough of.

The thing is, someone told me that the leaks of the full songs and the second Buffy's Pregnant one was by William Clarke himself... Which would explain why he edited out most of his talking vocals on Buffy's Pregnant, to keep people from finding out.... ::)

If only he would have released the Buffy's Pregnant one in full(which is one of the best ones on the demo).  :(

I have actually talk to him alittle bit on livenirvana... but am not familiar with him personally just as he is not familiar with me. I haven't really posted on livenirvana in awhile either, so it would be for the best that I don't go there just to ask(I would have to post more often on there before even trying). Although I wouldn't shy away from asking for a midi to another song.

Some people don't trust writing a parody without hearing the OS, but it CAN be done. A few of my Prince parodies were done that way, most significantly, "The Most Pointless Song Parody Ever Written" to "Pope". If I commit myself to a song that I haven't heard before (and isn't within Youtube reach), I always compare the lyric sheets of a few Web sites before starting out on it.

i've been lucky that the singer's pacing was (more or less) accurate, though.

I've done two songs without the OS before, one turned out bad and the other turned out good.

Written By: wildcard on 10/12/07 at 5:42 pm

I compare a few lyric sheets when writing a song I don't know too.  I have to keep my thoughts on how happy I might make the person who requested it when I finish it.  I can't think about never hearing it before and must eccept the fact that I don't have the ability to do so.  I've gone through times where I've come so close to getting rid of my Soundclick account.  I can still sing, but once it leaves my mouth I cant hear it the same.  I just have to cross my fingers and hope that it's okay because I really can't tell.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 10/13/07 at 4:22 am

Ooh! Ooh! My turn!

That would be 'Endangered' - written for a school project on endangered species, and it sucked - but the first on AmiRight would be 'Just Eat It'...pity it's lost in the void of time.

Oh boy...

-regular SOTM entrant as of Nov 2005 (was absent from Feb 2007 - which sucked cause my 'Pee-Ammo Man' was killer!)
-several of Matthias' random contests (AmiRight In Love, Summertime Blues, Slammin' Hollywood and Wet T-Shirt)
-competitor in 2005 and 2006 Wild Card round...the latter of which I won!
-came 7th in the first Decathlon
-came 4th in Ages in AmiRight
-currently coming 5th in Artistry? Hurry up with the site, Dave!
-participated in Brangelina...we need more contest thingies like this

'Flyin' Qantas' hands down. I STILL have no idea where the topic came from...definitely from my ass. Got me 6th in July SOTM so who gives a smeg!

Let's see...'Pee-Ammo Man'...'Under A 'C''...'Terrible Lie'...'Don't Say 'Are We There Yet?''...'I Don't Know This'...and 'Sequel Love'

Whatever the situation demands really. Takes a lot of effort not to write a thousand Transformer parodies, I can tell you!

Ones that are not really funny.

Anything that would get me in deep doo-doo. In other words, nothing racist, sexist or political.

Whatev. I'm not choosy.

ANything pop and rock related.

Anything slow and mushy. I'm lookin at YOU, Sinatra...

Hard to say, really. Paperback Writer was pretty easy.

Anything I had to do as a result of poking my nose into the Request Hour Thread. That means:

-Locomotive by G&R
-Tweeter and the Monkey Man by Travelling Wilburies...obscure, much?
-I've Been Everywhere. 'Nuff said.
-Electric Avenue
-Desolation Row. Might I add, DUH?

Part 1: Getting Ideas

Method 1: The Song-First Method
I use this when I have a song I wanna parody, but don't have a topic. I look up previous parodies of the song to make sure I don't repeat what's been done. I then try to work out a chorus to base the rest of the parody off of.

Method 2: The Topic-First Method
The opposite of Method 1. This method is really short, and basically breaks down into a)breaking into hysterics, then b) asking for help and finally c) if help doesn't work, drop it.

Method 3: The Shower/Business Method
This is when I have nothing to work with. I just happen to be having my shower, or doing my business (if you catch my drift) then all of a sudden BAM! A parody idea bursts in outta no where! Works like a charm. Called 'The Muse' by Cat.

Part 2: Writing The Damn Thing

I get a song file to work with, usually YouTube or what I already have. I listen to it ONCE. Then I start typing out the parody one section at a time in NotePad. I count on syllables when necessary, which is often. After each section, sing along with the OS. Kinda breaks down when it's a rap song.

-Anything on my playlist. Pity it's mostly rap.
-Some more classic stuff, like Beatles or KISS.

Written By: wildcard on 10/13/07 at 3:32 pm

I just got back from the animal chaining thread and remembered being in love with a ceacilian.  Just another weird parody.

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/15/07 at 7:52 am

Takes a lot of effort not to write a thousand Transformer parodies, I can tell you!

Keep up the effort!!  :o

Written By: EthanM on 10/21/07 at 12:12 pm

When I was ten or 11 I took a rewrite of Jimmy Crack Corn about the Jewish holiday Purim and made it about Chanukah instead. No copies survive.

Probably not as many as most who answered, but still plenty.

Define weird.  This year I've written songs about eating the bible, talking to a papaya, alien excretion, and putting blood in coffee. Before I found Amiright, I wrote over 20 songs about things in a refrigerator fighting with each other. Then there were plenty of strange ones in between and I can't pick which is the strangest. Possibly the one about wanting to perform photosynthesis, which has probably gotten more silent and inexplicable one votes than anything else I wrote.  

I don't know. What other pople think is more important that what I think in this case.

I try to vary my themes, but I've done a bunch about food/fatness, troubles with transportation, video games, academic subjects, celebrity mocking (although not so much anymore), religion and politics (I actually hope to start writing more political songs soon), sports, drugs & alcohol, and children's stories.

Relationships, bodily functions

basically what everyone has already said

Red hot chili peppers, weezer, eminem, and I've done a bunch of beatles parodies.

I've done a lot of classic rock, probably even more modern rock, a bunch of cheesy pop, and probably more hip-hop/rap than anyone not named Brattoni.

country, classical, death metal, gospel, world music, americana, gregorian chants, techno, jazz, big band, swing, blues, Kazakh music.

Out of the songs that are definitely real songs and not too short for submission, probably the 59th street bridge song.

probably lose yourself

I'll usually have the lyrics in one window and a word processor in another. If I don't already know the song well, or even if I do but want to know it better, I'll listen to it a few times on youtube or AOL music.  I'm not quite sure if I have a concrete creative process, but I have never used rhymezone or any rhyming dictionary.

It's tough to make any parodies right now since I don't have access to a word processor. I want to do wake up call by maroon 5 but haven't thought of a good idea for that yet.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/22/07 at 3:39 pm

^ I've never used rhymezone either... I prefer to think of the words myself.

Written By: philbo on 10/23/07 at 3:36 am

Re rhymes, I have a little text file in which I type rhymes for those times when I'm feeling without inspiration.  It's better than rhymezone in a way, 'cause it's got nearly-rhymes and funny rhymes in it, too, the sort of things that you won't find in any rhyming dictionary.

Though the times when I do use rhymezone are when I know there's a word.. it feels like it's on the tip of my tongue, but I can't quite grab hold of it.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/23/07 at 12:05 pm

It's cool to use those methods.(Rhymezone and Re Rhymes)

I think in my case, I don't always try to think of words that rhyme with the original word at the end(as long as it still paces good, I'm fine with it)... parody ideas also have a major influence on it(places like Rhymezone won't always have a match for the parody idea, the way I see it).....

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/23/07 at 12:41 pm

Me, I have a hard time breaking out from the original rhymes that the OS uses. :-[

Written By: Step-chan on 10/23/07 at 3:01 pm

Me, I have a hard time breaking out from the original rhymes that the OS uses. :-[

No problem there... It's difficult to change the rhyme when parodying an OS, I've done it often enough to know what it's like. ;)

What I mean by using words that don't rhyme with the last word in each line is this:

Sometimes the themes I use will be restricted to a point of being generic if I try to pick words that rhyme with the original... But that depends on the theme's flexibiity.

If the theme is general and flexible, then I usually stick to finding words that rhyme with the OS... But if it's something more strict(like a certain TV show, video game, etc.) I have to expand my options and pick ending words that don't necessarily rhyme with the last word in each line of in the OS... Now this is based on how hard the OS is to parody with the theme I'm using... Sometimes I get lucky and can rhyme it or sort of rhyme it with the OS's lyrics. But for me to do an ending word that doesn't rhyme, I still have to make sure it paces good enough to work with the original.

That being said, when I change to a word that doesn't rhyme with the last word in the line of that lyric, I still make sure to make the next line will rhyme or sort of rhyme with it.

Although I have done a few parodies where my some of lines didn't rhyme at all(the OS, however had rhyming lyrics), but those are exceptions.

I remembered a parody that I did that had proper rhyming throughout the whole song, but not all the lines ending words rhymed with the OS's ending words(but still rhymed with each other in each set)...

Someone docked me a point in pacing just because I didn't pick words that rhymed with the original's.(The thing is the lyrics paced well)  ::)

Written By: Arwen on 10/23/07 at 4:45 pm

Oh, fun!  I spend a lot of time filling surveys out over email...why not on here, too?   :)

In my life?  It was a parody about chewing gum to "Right Here Waiting" by Richard Marx.  I was 12. 

On this site?  I'm not telling... ;)  (I posted at least one parody under a different name before "The Elf" made her debut.)  My first parody as Arwen was "Frodo" to Bananarama's "Venus."

Oh wow...I'm too lazy to even pretend that I'd go back and count...

I think all of my parodies are fabulous, so I really can't even decide which ones might be weird.  I'm really lame at this survey so far.   :-[

I have a special place in my heart for a couple, especially..."Traits of the Guy Who Should Give Me a Ring," "Can't Find Me a Guy," and "Working to Pay Back the Zoo" are up there.  Again...I really am a huge fan of myself...so it's hard to narrow these things down.  I also have a parody that I wrote for a "Make Fun of Utah Culture" contest that I've never submitted to AmiRight...just because of its specific nature...that I'm VERY proud of...

I love writing self-depreciating stuff...and stuff with twists at the end that kind of turn the whole parody on its head.

Bathroom humor...

I can't ever see myself writing a politically minded parody. 

I was about to say I didn't have a favorite...but then I checked, and I have more Beatles stuff than anything else.  I think that's because I just really like to do classic songs that most people know.  I, for one, appreciate a parody so much more if I already know the OS.  Also, I write parodies to what I listen to...and I listen to a lot of oldies in general.

I'd guess mainstream rock and pop.

I've never done any rap.

I have a really easy time with "My Name Is Luka."  I parody it in real life at least a couple times a month, it seems.

"One Week" by Barenaked Ladies.  Hands Down.  Runner up: "We Didn't Start the Fire."

I always like to have a copy of the original song handy and I listen to it repeatedly, though not while I'm actually writing.  Also, I have to have the original lyrics in front of me.  I sing through the parody several times before submitting, too.

I don't have any...I used to have a list, but I did all the songs on it...and now, with as infrequently as I've been writing lately, I'm generally just happy to get a parody written...no matter what the OS is. :)

Written By: John Jenkins on 10/24/07 at 2:15 pm

In my life?  It was a parody about chewing gum to "Right Here Waiting" by Richard Marx.  I was 12. 

On this site?  I'm not telling... ;)  (I posted at least one parody under a different name before "The Elf" made her debut.) 

How many alter egos do you have?  Give us a clue about the other identities so we can look up the other parodies and tell you how clever they are.

I also have a parody that I wrote for a "Make Fun of Utah Culture" contest that I've never submitted to AmiRight...just because of it's specific nature...that I'm VERY proud of...

I think this parody could be a big hit on AmIRight.  Spaff would love it.  Please submit!

Written By: Spaff.com on 10/25/07 at 11:59 pm

Spaff would love it.

No doubt about that.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 10/26/07 at 7:33 am

I've been meaning to do this survey for ages, so I guess I should shut up and type:

1) First Parody
The first complete parody I ever wrote down was actually the first one I posted on Amiright: How You Will Bind Me (S&M Love Song)...it wasn't very good! I've always done the screwing around with lyrics thing in my head, but Amiright gave me a vehicle to get the strange voices out in the open  :o

2) Number of Contests/requests
Shoot, I have no idea! 50? 60? certainly more than 3....

3) Weirdest Parody
Those who know me through the site know I like weird...but my parodies, while often goofy, are probably not the dictionary definition of "weird". However "Painted Dove" and "Naked Sumo Cricket" probably come close

4) Favourite Parodies:
Lordy: With over 280 "children", how do I pick a favourite?

Top 5...possibly...for today at least...in no particular order:

Me Depressed (Tarzan's Lament)
(Buy, Buy) An African Child
For The Discerning Buyer: The Mall with It All
Farewell Allah, Hello Buddha
Twas A Spoilt Brat At Christmas

5) Favourite Themes
I enjoy doing relationships/sexuality/embarrassment...if I can get all three in one parody, all the better. substandard pets and animals doing strange things make up a large part of my portfolio. I've done quite a bit of celebrity roasting and/or fantasising...J-Lo, Madonna and Tom Cruise are favoured targets..... But I'll try anything once...I think

6) Themes I Avoid
I've done a few mildly political parodies, but I tend to stay away from that area...not because of any political slant, but because I don't think I'm very good at them

7) Themes I Won't Do
I can't say I would NEVER try my hand at a theme...as long as it's not offensive, racist, homophobic or likely to cause anybody upset. I'm unlikely to do a computer/techie type parody, because I know shag all about computers

8-) Bands/Performers I've Parodied Most
Yup, it's The Beatles again...they are SO ubiquitous, you'd be hard up to find anyone who doesn't know at least a few of their tunes. I've also done quite a few Billy Joel, Kinks, Eagles, Elvis and Abba

9) Genres I'm Most Experienced With
I tend to stick to classic pop and rock, generally 60s to 90s...but I like showtunes, big band stuff etc. As long as the OS gives me enough fuel to work with, I'll have a go at 'em all!

10)Genres I'm Least Experienced With
Once again, rap is not a genre I've ever felt too confident in tackling: my total rap parody output is 1: to MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This"

11) Easiest Song I've Parodied
My "Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah" parody came pretty quickly, as did "Battle Hymn Of The Banana Republic". I don't think any OS is intrinsically easy to parody; you've still got to have a good idea to match the original. I tend to find OSs with a lot of words and an even meter (e.g. The Major Generals Song, Supercal, Edmund Fitzgerald, My Favourite Things) much easier to tackle

12) Hardest Song
"Blinded By The Light" was a nightmare, "Its The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" was, as you can guess, more than a bit tricky...but for unexpected hardship, "American Pie" really was a surprising struggle.

13) Writing Approaches
First I do a line of cocaine off a supermodel's belly, then....only kidding. My approach is not a lot different to those already listed: lyric sheet, listen to the OS. I tend to write out on paper rather than word processor, and fill sheets with crossings-out, abandoned verses, doodles,etc. My "Incomplete" file is bulging with half-finished parodies, original lyrics to songs I haven't come up with a good idea for, pictures of Beyonce... ;) I often get the germ of an idea in my head when I hear a song on the radio or TV, and will grab a pad or piece of paper and start brainstorming possible stories/scenarios.
I have unashamedly used Rhymezone...but usually its when I've come up with a killer line, and can't work out how to progress the story/joke with the next line. I'll scan rhymezone for good words, and then "back-build" the line from that rhymed word

15) Song I'd Like To Do
Three at the top of my list

1) "One Week" by Barenaked Ladies
2) "Stan" by Eminem
3) "Can't Stop" by The Red Hot Chili Peppers

Well, that was fun!!!!

Written By: Jack Wilson on 10/26/07 at 5:21 pm

Kristof, how about "One Leak"?

"I took one leak..."

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 10/27/07 at 6:44 am

Kristof, how about "One Leak"?

"I took one leak..."

Nice idea, Jack....but gee, could I write a whole parody about having a slash? I'll have to have a think...thanks for the suggestion, mate

Written By: Jack Wilson on 10/27/07 at 10:55 am

Nice idea, Jack....but gee, could I write a whole parody about having a slash? I'll have to have a think...thanks for the suggestion, mate
It was my idea, but I figured YOU  could come up with something better than I could. Mine would be like a verse. LOL Ok cnatw ait for it, youre welxcome!

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/29/07 at 11:40 am

One Leak could refer to "one leak" of a scandalous news story, or an illegally-shared mp3....

Written By: Matthias on 10/29/07 at 11:42 am

One Leak could refer to "one leak" of a scandalous news story, or an illegally-shared mp3....

Oh, ho, ho...

Good observation there Aggy. I would take on "One Leak" as a scandalous news story. That seems to have a lot of stuff to work with that would also be fun to write........

I think I might work on that, since I too want to do this OS.

Written By: Jack Wilson on 10/29/07 at 1:49 pm

Actually Kristof was right, but both would work and be awesome!

Written By: Step-chan on 11/27/07 at 8:54 pm

The full recording of Buffy's pregnant is now downloadable(Although I still need to get some computer problems fixed).  ;D

The good news? It's on youtube, with two other songs(the first one is a high pitch vocal song):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWDENNmC8pQ

The last song is the FM demo version of Downer!

Written By: Arwen on 12/06/07 at 12:41 am

How many alter egos do you have?  Give us a clue about the other identities so we can look up the other parodies and tell you how clever they are.

Oh wow...nine years later I realize that someone's asking me questions...sorry for the delay. 

And...as for that question, while I really appreciate your interest, John...it's fine that I have SOME secrets around this joint.  If I ever want "non-Arwen" parodies to become "Arwen" parodies...(and maybe someday I will)...I'll re-submit.  It's an interesting exercise, though...seeing what people say...(or don't say?)...about parodies if they don't know who wrote them.  ;)

I think this parody could be a big hit on AmIRight.  Spaff would love it.  Please submit!

Ummm...I've considered posting it, several times, but hold back for I don't know what reasons.  Really...it's SUCH "Mormon Humor," that, while folks might enjoy it...I still don't think that they'd all the way "get" it.  I'll think about submitting it, though.  Again.  Or...some more.  I promise. 

Oh, and I heard a rumor, though, that Spaff does love it.  And, by "I heard a rumor...", I mean that Spaff already told me that he loves it.  (Who do you think tipped me off to the "Make Fun of Utah Culture" Contest to begin with?) 

No doubt about that.

xoxox
Spaff

:-*

Written By: John Jenkins on 12/10/07 at 11:00 pm

Oh wow...nine years later I realize that someone's asking me questions...sorry for the delay. 

And...as for that question, while I really appreciate your interest, John...it's fine that I have SOME secrets around this joint.  If I ever want "non-Arwen" parodies to become "Arwen" parodies...(and maybe someday I will)...I'll re-submit.  It's an interesting exercise, though...seeing what people say...(or don't say?)...about parodies if they don't know who wrote them.  ;)

Ummm...I've considered posting it, several times, but hold back for I don't know what reasons.  Really...it's SUCH "Mormon Humor," that, while folks might enjoy it...I still don't think that they'd all the way "get" it.  I'll think about submitting it, though.  Again.  Or...some more.  I promise. 

Oh, and I heard a rumor, though, that Spaff does love it.  And, by "I heard a rumor...", I mean that Spaff already told me that he loves it.  (Who do you think tipped me off to the "Make Fun of Utah Culture" Contest to begin with?) 

:-*

Thanks for the prompt response.  We were a little worried that something had happened to you.  If Spaff told you he loves it, that is a fairly good indication that it might be a decent parody.  I appreciate most forms of irreverence, especially political irreverence.  But I struggle with some forms of religious irreverence, so I think I partially understand your dilemma.

Check for new replies or respond here...