inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: copyright issues with parodies

Written By: j bird on 11/14/07 at 11:10 am

if you change the lyrics of a song,  is that a copyright infringement on the original artist? Please anyone who knows something get back to me...

Subject: Re: copyright issues with parodies

Written By: skittlesking on 11/14/07 at 11:34 am

if you change the lyrics of a song,  is that a copyright infringement on the original artist? Please anyone who knows something get back to me...

No

In fact it's protected by the first amendment, and has been ruled as such consistently in courts.

Fair Use Analysis

The Copyright Act in Section 107 enumerates four "fair use factors" that must be analyzed to determine whether a particular use of a copyrighted work, such as a parody, is fair use. These factors are the (1) purpose and character of the use, including whether the use is commercially motivated or instead is for nonprofit educational purposes; (2) nature of the copyrighted work; (3) amount and substantiality of the portion used in the newly created work in relation to the copyrighted work; and (4) effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work. A court when evaluating a fair-use defense takes into consideration each of the four factors as no single factor by itself is sufficient to prove or disprove fair use. The following discussion will describe the specific fair use criterion and provide an overview of the key issues involved in the analysis of the fair-use defense.

1. Purpose and Character of Use

The first fair use factor, the purpose and character of use of the original copyrighted work, evaluates the new work by taking into consideration the following criteria: (1) Has the new work been created for commercial or noncommercial purposes? Although not every commercial use is presumptively an unfair use, and therefore conclusively determinative against fair use, this criterion emphasizes a preference that fair use will be granted to those works that are created for noncommercial or educational purposes rather than for commercial purposes. (2) Does the user's use of the copyrighted work conform to the fair use purposes as set forth in Section 107; i.e., criticism, comment, scholarship, research, news reporting or teaching? The burden of proving fair use is usually much easier to demonstrate if the new work is for one of the "favored" purposes enumerated in Section 107, however, this does not necessarily mean that uses of the new work, other than those enumerated in Section 107, will not result in a finding of fair use of the original copyrighted work. (3) What is the degree of transformation from the purpose or function of the copyrighted work as compared to the purpose or function of the new work? This criterion analyzes the degree of transformation accomplished by the new work by determining whether the new work has a different purpose or different character than that of the original copyrighted work. For example, does a parody accomplish a transformative purpose by adding something entirely new to the copyrighted work or does the new work only supplant the original copyrighted work? Therefore, the crucial issue in ascertaining the transformative nature of the new work is whether the parody has altered the copyrighted work by adding new expression and meaning to the original copyrighted work.

2. Nature of Copyrighted Work

The second fair use factor, the nature of the copyrighted work, recognizes that certain types of works are simply more deserving of copyright protection than other types of works and consequently establishes the scope of copyright protection that should be afforded the original copyrighted work. The scope of fair use is greater for an "informational work" that is designed to inform or educate, such as a work of facts, information, scholarship or news reporting, than it is for a more "creative work", such as a work of fiction, art or music, that is designed to provide entertainment. Another important consideration is whether the original copyrighted work has been published or remains unpublished as the courts have been far less willing to sanction as fair use the unauthorized taking of an unpublished work.

3. Amount and Substantiality of the Portion Used of the Copyrighted Work

The third factor analyzes the amount and substantiality of the copying in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole. The crucial determination is whether the quality and value of the material copied from the original copyrighted work is "reasonable" in relation to the purpose of copying. Regretfully, there is no black and white rule that sets forth an absolute ratio or quantity of words that may be used of the original work that would ensure a finding of fair use. Instead there have been circumstances where a court has found that the use of an entire work was fair use while under different circumstances the use of a small fraction of a work failed to qualify as a fair use. This factor not only evaluates the quantity that has been copied but also the quality and importance of the copied material. The courts when analyzing this factor evaluate whether the user of the original copyrighted material has taken any more of the original work than was necessary to achieve the purpose for which the material was copied from the original work.

4. Effect Upon Potential Market or Value of the Copyrighted Work

The fourth factor, the effect upon the potential market or value of the copyrighted work, analyzes the extent of harm that is caused by the new work to the market or potential market for the original copyrighted work. This factor evaluates the "potential" as well as "actual" financial harm that is or may be done to the original copyrighted work, as well any harm that may be caused to any existing or possible future derivative works. The United States Supreme Court at one time appeared to declare that this factor was the most important element in determining fair use but a more recent Supreme Court decision that will be discussed shortly appears to have limited this finding. However, when the new work becomes a substitute for, or makes the purchase unnecessary of the appropriated original copyrighted work then it is highly unlikely that the courts would sanction such use as being a fair use of the original work. The courts have expressed this standard by finding that an unauthorized use is not a fair use when the unauthorized use diminishes or negatively impacts the potential sale of the original copyrighted work, interferes with the marketability of the work, or fulfills the demand for the original copyrighted work. Although this factor does not presume that all commercial gain will automatically be an unfair use it does establish a high threshold of proof for the copier to demonstrate that the underlying work was not financially damaged.

Parody Fair-Use Defense: Oh, Pretty Woman

The United States Supreme Court in Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music, Inc. (1994) stated in no uncertain terms that a parody as a form of criticism or comment could be fair use of a copyrighted work. Oh, Pretty Woman is a rock ballad written by Roy Orbison and William Dees. Luther Campbell and his musical rapper group, 2 Live Crew, wrote a rap song entitled Pretty Woman that had substantial similarities to the Orbison/Dees song. 2 Live Crew attempted to obtain permission for their parody from Acuff-Rose, the publisher of Oh, Pretty Woman, but were refused permission. 2 Live Crew then proceeded without permission to release their rap song and accorded Orbison/Dees with authorial credit and listed Acuff-Rose as the publisher. Acuff-Rose then brought a lawsuit, which at the trial court level ruled in favor of 2 Live Crew based upon its fair use parody defense. This decision was reversed on appeal when the Sixth Circuit ruled against the fair use parody defense because of the commercial nature of the 2 Live Crew rendition and the presumption of market harm that the rap rendition might cause for the Orbison/Dees song. The Sixth Circuit's decision was then appealed to the Supreme Court.

The Supreme Court accepted 2 Live Crew's song as a parody because the rap song mimicked the original to achieve its message and because it "reasonably could be perceived as commenting on the original or criticizing it, to some degree." The Court then had to decide whether a parody such as Pretty Woman could claim protection from copyright infringement liability under the scope of the fair use doctrine. To ascertain whether Pretty Woman was protected by the fair-use defense the Court proceeded to evaluate the four fair use factors.

The Court determined that the first factor, the purpose and character of the use, favored 2 Live Crew because a "parody has an obvious claim to transformative value" and the rap song was certainly transformative in that " it provid social benefit, by shedding light on an earlier work, and, in the process, creat a new one." Therefore, under this factor, even though Pretty Woman certain had as its motivation commercial gain, the Court ruled that a "parody, like other comment or criticism may claim a fair use under 107 ." Justice Souter stated that the threshold question involving a parody fair-use defense "is whether a parodic character may reasonably be perceived. ... It is this joinder of reference and ridicule that marks off the author's choice of parody from the other types of comment and criticism that traditionally have had a claim to fair use protection as transformative works."

The second factor, the nature of the copyrighted work, the Court decided was not of much help in this matter since a parody by its very nature would only be based upon an "expressive" work.

The Court's analysis of the fourth factor, the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work, stated that the authors or copyright owner of the original work would normally refuse to license or grant permission to a parodist to parody the original work. Based on this finding the Court then excluded "parody licenses" as a potential market that could be effected by a parody use. The Court then distinguished that 2 Live Crew's Pretty Woman consisted of two separate elements, (i) the parody of Oh, Pretty Woman and (ii) the original rap music itself. In distinguishing these elements the Court decided that the parody could legitimately undercut the market for the original song and any derivative works but that the rap music threatened to illegitimately replace a derivative work market that belonged to the copyright owner of Oh, Pretty Woman. Because there was no evidence on what might be "the likely effect of 2 Live Crew's parodic rap song on the market for a non-parody, rap version of Oh, Pretty Woman, the Court remanded this issue to the trial court for its decision on this matter.

As to the third factor, the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work, the Court indicated that a parody presents a unique difficulty when evaluating the amount of copying because the success of a parody depends upon its use of the original work while its "art lies in the tension between a known original and its parodic twin." The Court then reverted to the "conjure up" test that would deny a finding of fair use under this factor only when the parodist "has appropriated a greater amount of the original work than is necessary to 'recall or conjure up' the object of the ." Traditionally the third factor weighs against an infringer when the heart of the original work has been copied, but it is the heart of the original that "most readily conjures up the song for the parody, and it is the heart at which parody takes aim." The question for the Court then became how much further could the parodist go in copying the original once the heart of the original was used. The Court, as did the trial court, believed that 2 Live Crew did not use any more lyrics than were necessary from Oh, Pretty Woman and therefore ruled that the third factor favored 2 Live Crew's fair use defense, but since the Court had already remanded the case on the fourth factor it then also decided to remand on the question of whether the quantity of copying was excessive or not.

Conclusion

The importance of the Acuff-Rose case, even though segments of the case were remanded for further findings was that the Supreme Court reached the unequivocal conclusion that a parody falls within the scope of the fair-use defense.

Written By: j bird on 11/14/07 at 11:44 am

What if one were to publish a song parody (such as in a magazine or book) would the fair use act still apply? Or does this only pertain to a work that has not been published yet?

Does the same thing a apply to movie or tv show titles? (Such as changing the title of a movie or tv show; such as Saving Ryan's Privates, or Sea biscuit 2: beating a dead horse)?

And do you know of any publishers who accept this kind of work?

Written By: skittlesking on 11/14/07 at 11:51 am

What if one were to publish a song parody (such as in a magazine or book) would the fair use act still apply? Or does this only pertain to a work that has not been published yet?

Does the same thing a apply to movie or tv show titles? (Such as changing the title of a movie or tv show; such as Saving Ryan's Privates, or Sea biscuit 2: beating a dead horse)?

I am not positive on who publishes, except that I know there are many publishers out there (Comedy Central's archive contains thousands of parodies of music, movies, commercials etc)

I publish most of my music on the internet myself, and the same fair use doctrine still applies. . .because parody is a form of comment/criticism that doesn't generally affect the commercial value of the original song.

And yes, the same thing applies to movies/tv/paintings, even commercials or Trade Mark Slogans (Got Milk? has been parodied as just about everything under the sun)  The main thing is that it goes through a transformation of purpose. . .

Most parodies go through significant transformation in their intent/purpose

The original meaning of (You Drive Me) Crazy by Britney Spears was that she had a crush on some guy and she wanted to sing about it

My song (I am so) Lazy (recorded in Set 1 of my parodies) is protected even though it is based on (You Drive Me) Crazy because the meaning of my song is significantly different than the original.  My song is about cleanliness or hygiene, and expresses a comedic poke at the OS without damaging the marketability of the original.  No one would mistake Lazy for Crazy, my song is significantly different and is not likely to infringe on the original song's sales.

Written By: Matthias on 11/14/07 at 11:56 am

What about songs that would infringe on the songs sales, such as mocking a band you don't like and publishing it.
For example: If "Whinin' And A-Bitchin" gets really, really popular for some reason and everybody hear's Red Ant's view point and people start to agree with it so people will no longer buy REM CDs or instead download them and not make the band or the record company money (Would that still be allowed?)

Written By: skittlesking on 11/14/07 at 12:00 pm

What about songs that would infringe on the songs sales, such as mocking a band you don't like and publishing it.
For example: If "Whinin' And A-Bitchin" gets really, really popular for some reason and everybody hear's Red Ant's view point and people start to agree with it so people will no longer buy REM CDs or instead download them and not make the band or the record company money (Would that still be allowed?)

That technically would not be infringing because it has still made meaningful transformation.  The other thing is that Red Ant's opinionated piece, even if it became commercially successful, is not likely to affect the sales of the original song (both because of it's age, and those that like the original song are not likely to not purchase the original after hearing the parody)

Written By: Matthias on 11/14/07 at 12:05 pm

That technically would not be infringing because it has still made meaningful transformation.  The other thing is that Red Ant's opinionated piece, even if it became commercially successful, is not likely to affect the sales of the original song (both because of it's age, and those that like the original song are not likely to not purchase the original after hearing the parody)

So if it was a newer song that he made fun of such as Gwen Steffani's "Rich Girl" (If you recorded "Crack Whore") and people heard it and because of Red Ant's parody thought that Gwen was actually a crack whore, and they didn't want their children listening to her music thus putting a ban on it and thus Gwen's sales would drop due to parents not allowing their kids to listen to it. Or people who don't want to listen to music that has been done by a crack whore, and not realizing that Red Ant's song is strictly satire no longer buy her CDs would that be legal?

Written By: skittlesking on 11/14/07 at 1:08 pm

So if it was a newer song that he made fun of such as Gwen Steffani's "Rich Girl" (If you recorded "Crack Whore") and people heard it and because of Red Ant's parody thought that Gwen was actually a crack whore, and they didn't want their children listening to her music thus putting a ban on it and thus Gwen's sales would drop due to parents not allowing their kids to listen to it. Or people who don't want to listen to music that has been done by a crack whore, and not realizing that Red Ant's song is strictly satire no longer buy her CDs would that be legal?

Hahahaha. . .now you are being funny

Written By: Matthias on 11/14/07 at 2:27 pm

Hahahaha. . .now you are being funny

I'm serious... What would happen then?

Written By: skittlesking on 11/14/07 at 2:39 pm

I'm serious... What would happen then?

First Fergalicious and now this. . .I don't see anyone taking Red Ant's Parody as a serious threat to Gwen Stefani's sales, what I could see is defamation of character, but Red Ant could counter that with a warning that none of these comments are intended to be taken literal, nor are they necessarily  accurate to the original artists' character.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/14/07 at 5:19 pm

The 2 Live Crew case got me confused.... Did they win?

Written By: skittlesking on 11/14/07 at 5:59 pm

Yes. . .The end result is it set a precedent which has been upheld almost without question by courts (the exceptions generally being 'covers')

Written By: Red Ant on 11/14/07 at 6:36 pm

Yes, 2 Live Crew won.

Wow, all this mention of my work! I'm getting a stiffy!

Time to play lawyer...

Short answer: no.

Dave already covered this with his excellent info, but to break it down a bit: publishing lyrics that you wrote to an existing tune, i.e. a parody, is gravy. www.amiright.com does this all the time. The only way you'd get in any trouble is if you plagiarize someone else or the original artist. As soon as those lyrics are published (or posted online), you have automatic copyright of them if you are a US citizen.

Recordings get a bit trickier, but provided you either a) make the backing track yourself b) use a public domain MIDI or c) obtain permission from the person/persons who made the backing track, you are set to go on publishing the recording.

~~~

Re: "Crack Whore" and "Whining and a Bitchin'", Dave basically said what I would have. I would add that since these both critical of their derivative works and or artists, there's little chance anyone could successfully argue that they don't meet the definition of section one, articles 2 and 3. You can't really twist a song more than by turning it on the artist or itself...

In the unlikely event those songs were recorded and wound up on a CD for sale, I still have nothing to worry about.  The only thing I would have to be careful of is libel and slander. Publishing blatantly false things about people and representing those things as fact is not good. However, my REM parody is purely opinion and "Crack Whore" is a hypothetical, and I never called Gwen a crack whore.

And let's be real here, Gwen and REM each probably get royalty checks in the 2$ a week range for the original songs I spoofed.

Heck, ask Spaff. He probably looked into this more with his recording of "Your Song About My Client Delilah" - the original is definitely making money, and Spaff poked quite a bit of fun at the lead singer in his parody (not sure if it's one his latest CD, but there is a YouTube Video or two floating around).

As he said: "Fair use rocks".

Ant

Written By: Step-chan on 11/14/07 at 7:19 pm

Yes. . .The end result is it set a precedent which has been upheld almost without question by courts (the exceptions generally being 'covers')

Okay... I guess I didn't see it well enough to get it. Thanks. ;)

Yes, 2 Live Crew won.

Ant

I think I remember Weird Al himself saying that parodies are sort of a grey area thing(This is when he was on Bob & Tom)... Being protected by the first amendment, it would have to have been a clear cut case of copyright infringment for them to have lost.

Edit: Another to point out in fair use is the collaborated parody several of us did(started by Red Ant) to Gwen Stefani's Wind It Up. It does attack the song for not being good, although it still wouldn't scare away hardcore fans of her's from getting the song.(since I know there are some people who like it)

Written By: j bird on 11/15/07 at 9:50 am

I have two more questions on this topic. First off, I read somewhere in the site that your IP adrdess is logged when you make submissions. Is this true and WHY?

Also: On regards to copyright; What if you take a song of a seperate artist such as M. Jackson and make a parody of that song that criticizes lets say "martha Stewart." Or even taking M. jacksons song and criticising MJ in one of his own songs. Would this cover any infringement laws?

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/15/07 at 10:37 am

I have two more questions on this topic. First off, I read somewhere in the site that your IP adrdess is logged when you make submissions. Is this true and WHY?

it is true

it's being logged in case someone posts something illegal and I get contacted by a law enforcement agent.  Sometimes people post things that would be considered libel, or are of a threatening nature. I usually attribute it to people who are 12 years old and don't know better. 

I've never been contacted in an official manner, and I wouldn't voluntarily turn anything over without a warrant anyways.  An IP address and timestamp is of little use without a warrant for the ISP where the person sent it from.  I also don't block proxy servers, so someone could even just use on and fake the IP and there would be little anyone could do to track it down without spending a lot of time and money.

That said, I have removed a couple parodies, because of school kids posting stuff about their teachers and using their real names.  Technically it's libel, but it would be rather hard to convict a minor of it.  Best for all parties involved to just remove it.  I'm usually pretty strict about denying parodies that are about an individual and not a celebrity anyways (also one of the reasons I try to discourage parodies about other parody authors).

Written By: skittlesking on 11/15/07 at 2:33 pm

Criticism, J bird, is the most common use for parody, so no that would not be copyright infringement. . .if you say anything that you are claiming as fact without proof--that'd be libel/defamation of character, but if the parody is clearly stating an opinion or provable facts then you have nothing to worry about there.

Check for new replies or respond here...