inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Big 7 Club - medals

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/20/07 at 1:01 pm

The toughest 7 songs to parody has been agreed on as these:

American Pie
The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald
The Major-General's Song
Be Our Guest
Bohemian Rhapsody
Blinded By The Light
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

so I figured anyone who has done a parody on amIright to all 7, deserve a medal... if you've done 'em all and don't have a medal under your avatar, respond in the thread and I'll take care of it.

Subject: Re: The Big 7 Club - medals

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 11/20/07 at 3:28 pm

American Pie
The Major-General's Song
Be Our Guest
Bohemian Rhapsody
Blinded By The Light

so I figured anyone who has done a parody on amIright to all 7, deserve a medal... if you've done 'em all and don't have a medal under your avatar, respond in the thread and I'll take care of it.

That's great of you to do that Chucky.  As I've said before on Recent Comments, there can never be too much mythology and tradition at amiright, and medals would lock the mythology of The Big 7 in stone.  Credit should go to Johnny D for identifying a list that has stood the test of time and debate.

One thing though - "toughest" isn't entirely accurate, although close.  Supercali is an easy song to parody, and Michael P would say the same about TWOTEF.  But Supercali is very significant at amiright because there was a time (2004) when everyone felt they needed to have a go at it, for some reason or the other.  Still "toughest" is a 90% accurate description, and Supercali can always be a good starting point for newbies who want to knock off the list

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/20/07 at 4:15 pm

That's great of you to do that Chucky.  As I've said before on Recent Comments, there can never be too much mythology and tradition at amiright, and medals would lock the mythology of The Big 7 in stone.  Credit should go to Johnny D for identifying a list that has stood the test of time and debate.

One thing though - "toughest" isn't entirely accurate, although close.  Supercali is an easy song to parody, and Michael P would say the same about TWOTEF.  But Supercali is very significant at amiright because there was a time (2004) when everyone felt they needed to have a go at it, for some reason or the other.  Still "toughest" is a 90% accurate description, and Supercali can always be a good starting point for newbies who want to knock off the list

I have to admit I wasn't quite sure what the criteria was...

anyone do Johnny Quest to the tune of Be Our Guest yet?

Written By: Johnny_D on 11/20/07 at 10:02 pm

American Pie
The Major-General's Song
Be Our Guest
Bohemian Rhapsody
Blinded By The Light

Arrrrgghh!! The only one of those 7 that I haven't parodied yet is "Be Our Guest" ... hmmm ... will THAT entice me out of my quasi-retirement?  Hmmm....

Written By: philbo on 11/21/07 at 1:14 am

Arrrrgghh!! The only one of those 7 that I haven't parodied yet is "Be Our Guest" ... hmmm ... will THAT entice me out of my quasi-retirement?  Hmmm....

Just one left
Just one left
One of seven I'm bereft
I've done mo' crap
Than just Bo Rap
Supercali and TWOTEF
;)

It's not that these seven are the "toughest" at all (I think most people here will know my opinion of Supercali-), but they're ones that seem to draw good parodies and do take a bit of work.

A new medal... woo!

Written By: philbo on 11/21/07 at 1:15 am

PS... can I have my medal, please?

Edit to add Thanks! :D

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 11/21/07 at 1:53 am

It's not that these seven are the "toughest" at all

that's right, and the real problem with calling them tough is that it will invite needless debate.

Anything by eminem, in fact most rap stuff, The Raven, Desolation Row, etc. are all tougher to parody than those seven.

But those seven represent a hard-to-define amiright "rites of passage" and as Phil said, if done properly, they can result in the cleverest and most pleasing-to-the-ear parodies

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 11/21/07 at 6:24 am

Yay! I done got me a medal!!!

This is a great idea, Chucky....as Stu said, there can never be enough tradition at Amiright

I also agree with Stu's phrase "rites of passage" OS for the Big 7....it's not necessarily about difficulty, but each of them has a particular quality that, IMHO, makes them special:

American Pie: Iconic OS, very long, great "storytelling" structure
TWOTEF: For its epic quality
Major General: A godsend for rhyme-ophiles, and its frantic meter
Be Our Guest: Like M-G, but a more modern take...trying to find new "est" rhymes is a challenge
BoRap: For its theatricality,and the changes in pace and mood throughout the OS
Blinded: Now this is one tough song! Unforgiving structure, and the multiple internal rhymes near the end sort the wheat from the chaff
Supercal: Because it's so much FUN!!!!

I've written some of my best work to these seven, and I betcha almost everyone else who has attempted some or all of them would say the same...that's why they're special...

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/21/07 at 7:51 am

Yay! I done got me a medal!!!

This is a great idea, Chucky....as Stu said, there can never be enough tradition at Amiright

I also agree with Stu's phrase "rites of passage" OS for the Big 7....it's not necessarily about difficulty, but each of them has a particular quality that, IMHO, makes them special:

American Pie: Iconic OS, very long, great "storytelling" structure
TWOTEF: For its epic quality
Major General: A godsend for rhyme-ophiles, and its frantic meter
Be Our Guest: Like M-G, but a more modern take...trying to find new "est" rhymes is a challenge
BoRap: For its theatricality,and the changes in pace and mood throughout the OS
Blinded: Now this is one tough song! Unforgiving structure, and the multiple internal rhymes near the end sort the wheat from the chaff
Supercal: Because it's so much FUN!!!!

I've written some of my best work to these seven, and I betcha almost everyone else who has attempted some or all of them would say the same...that's why they're special...

ok... I changed the wording on the medals page (which you can see if you click on someone's medals).  I've been seeing "Big 7" referenced in several threads for a year or two now, and just didn't quite understand what the hub-bub was about.

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/21/07 at 9:32 am

Desolation Row might turn the 7 into 8 if things turn out the way they do.

I've only done one of these, and I'm not sure if I ever will do the rest.  :-[ The real challenge for me would be coming up with an original idea that can be sustained through the multiple verses.

Written By: wildcard on 11/21/07 at 10:43 pm

Two down and one double down.  Will Ann gain back the motivation to do the other 4? to be continued...

Written By: skittlesking on 11/21/07 at 11:07 pm

Well, Congrats to those who do them. . .I am ok without a medal. . .I like tough songs and all, but these ones have been done so many times, that I kinda got burnt out on each and every one of them (except maybe Blinded by the Light), but don't let my opinion stop the rest of you from trying.

Written By: wildcard on 11/22/07 at 11:31 am

Well, Congrats to those who do them. . .I am ok without a medal. . .I like tough songs and all, but these ones have been done so many times, that I kinda got burnt out on each and every one of them (except maybe Blinded by the Light), but don't let my opinion stop the rest of you from trying.

There's a challenge in trying to come up with an Idea that hasn't been done yet.  I seem to be good at coming up with my own ideas and or ways of doing things.  It's the length of some of these songs thats going to kill me. ( am I done yet? x20 or more)

Written By: ThaConqueror on 11/23/07 at 12:50 am

I've done 4 out of the 7 (Pie, TWOTEF, General and BoRap). I'll get back to you when I've done the other three.

Written By: wildcard on 11/27/07 at 12:50 pm

Oh great! First I have total writers block and now I have an idea that I cant put aside in my mind.  This is all San Andreis's Fault  >:(  :D

Written By: philbo on 11/27/07 at 1:13 pm

Just a thought... has anyone done all seven twice yet?

Though I'm not sure I'd want to tackle Blinded by the Light again... might be worth it for the kudos if nobody else has ;)

Written By: wildcard on 11/27/07 at 3:06 pm

Though I'm not sure I'd want to tackle Blinded by the Light again... might be worth it for the kudos if nobody else has ;)

I don't think I'm ever going to ever want to do Be Our guest again if I ever finish it.  I've already made myself supersickofwritingthistwice whydIeverwantto?
Iv'e got a small start in the General Song and^ thing as well and possible ideas for A. Pie and The Wreak.  Blinded by the Light was very easy for me to rhyme and pun through.

Written By: philbo on 11/27/07 at 4:42 pm

I don't think I'm ever going to ever want to do Be Our guest again if I ever finish it.  I've already made myself supersickofwritingthistwice whydIeverwantto?
Iv'e got a small start in the General Song and^ thing as well and possible ideas for A. Pie and The Wreak.  Blinded by the Light was very easy for me to rhyme and pun through.

Funny, isn't it?  I love BoG (I have an idea for another one that I think may, er, stand out from the rest.. you'll see what I mean when I finish it)

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 11/27/07 at 5:16 pm

So far, I've doubled up on Major-General, BoG, and Supercal...I think I could do Eddie Fitz again pretty easily, but the other three...shudder! I may have a go though.... race ya, Phil!!! http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/dogrun.gif

Written By: wildcard on 11/27/07 at 8:05 pm

Funny, isn't it?  I love BoG (I have an idea for another one that I think may, er, stand out from the rest.. you'll see what I mean when I finish it)

Just don't have the same idea as me.

Written By: Jack Wilson on 11/27/07 at 8:06 pm

Out from rest!
Out from rest!
This one stands out from the rest

LOL like that?

Written By: philbo on 11/28/07 at 5:48 am

So far, I've doubled up on Major-General, BoG, and Supercal...I think I could do Eddie Fitz again pretty easily, but the other three...shudder! I may have a go though.... race ya, Phil!!! http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/dogrun.gif

Is that a challenge?  (he says, looking around for a gauntlet carelessly dropped)

LOL like that?

er.. not quite

Just don't have the same idea as me.

There is one VERY good reason why I can pretty much guarantee it won't be the same idea as you...

I think that's enough clues ;)

Written By: karen on 11/28/07 at 9:55 am

I odn't think you'd get another medal though.  I'm sure Chucky said he only gave one of each design.

Written By: 2nz on 11/29/07 at 11:16 pm

Can I apply for a medal? By random chance, I've done all of the top 7 already. Very cool idea with the medals, by the way.

American Pie: Trail Workin' Guy
TWOTEF: Wreck that was Gollum and Smeagol
Major General: Major Anti-Socialite
Be Our Guest: Office Work
BoRap: Hogwarts Rap
BLinded: Look into the light
Supercal: Yugipoke

I guess we're all 1337, yo.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 11/30/07 at 3:24 am

Can I apply for a medal? By random chance, I've done all of the top 7 already. Very cool idea with the medals, by the way.

American Pie: Trail Workin' Guy
TWOTEF: Wreck that was Gollum and Smeagol
Major General: Major Anti-Socialite
Be Our Guest: Office Work
BoRap: Hogwarts Rap
BLinded: Look into the light
Supercal: Yugipoke

I guess we're all 1337, yo.

Glen! Welcome back, old buddy....

Just PM Chucky with your list (I'd link to the parodies as well) and before you know it, you'll be in the club.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/06/08 at 2:05 am

The 7 Deadly Parodies. . .coming Monday 1/7/2007 . . .BEWARE BwaHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Written By: Cat on 01/06/08 at 7:34 pm

Agh, I'm 6 for 7 (even though I consider my Supercal parody a piece of crap and I ought to do another one in the future)...but incidentally, I've just started working on a BBTL...since I haven't written anything for a while and I desperately need a cure for my senioritis—or at least another way to procrastinate—I've begun work on "Blighted My Eyesight." All I can say is, I think the binding on my rhyming dictionary will fall apart once I'm done with this sucker.

Still, I think it won't hold a candle to Desolation Row in terms of difficulty.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/06/08 at 7:45 pm

Agh, I'm 6 for 7 (even though I consider my Supercal parody a piece of crap and I ought to do another one in the future)...but incidentally, I've just started working on a BBTL...since I haven't written anything for a while and I desperately need a cure for my senioritis—or at least another way to procrastinate—I've begun work on "Blighted My Eyesight." All I can say is, I think the binding on my rhyming dictionary will fall apart once I'm done with this sucker.

Still, I think it won't hold a candle to Desolation Row in terms of difficulty.

Desolation Row is like. . .stabbing a pitch fork in your eye. .

Written By: wildcard on 01/06/08 at 8:38 pm

The 7 Deadly Parodies. . .coming Monday 1/7/2007 . . .BEWARE BwaHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

I hope you don't have my idea for major modern- general
Nor my start on Be Our Guest I    um... 

what a nasty habit parodies have got me in to.  Now I'm using the dictionary ;D

Written By: skittlesking on 01/06/08 at 8:51 pm

All 7 will post with tomorrows updates . . .they have a deadly theme to them:)

Written By: Matthias on 01/06/08 at 9:05 pm

Desolation Row is like. . .stabbing a pitch fork in your eye. .

The best pitchfork ever!!!
Bob Dylan's song is the best combination of a chicken getting caught in a celing vac, while some random old dude rambles on about nothing.
Pure classic!!!

Written By: skittlesking on 01/06/08 at 10:59 pm

http://www.badave.com/images/deadlyseven.jpg

Envy * Gluttony * Greed * Lust * Pride * Sloth * Wrath

Written By: wildcard on 04/25/08 at 12:19 pm

I shoold b finfishing up whatevur Id id width my card deck  I mean ship wreck

edit *hickup* during next week

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/25/08 at 1:05 pm

Hey Chucky, I did all 7 a month and a half ago.

Please affix me with the Red Badge of Courage or the Purple Heart or whatever that you are using for this feat.  :)

Written By: karen on 04/25/08 at 2:12 pm

Hey Chucky, I did all 7 a month and a half ago.

Please affix me with the Red Badge of Courage or the Purple Heart or whatever that you are using for this feat.  :)

Sadly all you get is a medal with a number seven in it - like the one under your avatar

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/25/08 at 3:31 pm

Sadly all you get is a medal with a number seven in it - like the one under your avatar

which I added a few minutes ago...

Written By: karen on 04/26/08 at 8:12 am

which I added a few minutes ago...

Wasn't sure if you had or not.  But you didn't say.....

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/26/08 at 8:16 am

Wasn't sure if you had or not.  But you didn't say.....

I'm usually too lazy to leave a followup message

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/28/08 at 7:46 am

Sweet!  8)

Written By: Matthias on 04/28/08 at 10:05 am

I still have to work on busting out "Blinded By The Light" and "Supercal".... I'll work on that in the month of May, hopefully complete them both then. -Gulp!-

Written By: skittlesking on 05/04/08 at 9:46 pm

I cannot find a real good backing track (as far as lining up well with the OS) for Modern Major General, I thought maybe I just can't do it, but I finally realized where I was getting thrown off simply wasn't correct.

Written By: wildcard on 06/21/08 at 1:01 am

some day I'll do something for BOG.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 07/14/08 at 2:59 pm

Most of you know I have recorded my "7 Deadly Sin" parodies of Envy and Gluttony (Supercali and American Pie)

Tomorrow, Greed joins that as my 3rd (Be Our Guest)  I hope to have all but Sloth and Lust recorded at some point this summer (Sloth because lack of backing track, lust because it needs rewrite)

Written By: wildcard on 07/14/08 at 6:06 pm

BOG  the only one I haven't been able to do.  Fortunally I still have plenty of tricks up my sleeves. 

Written By: Below Average Dave on 07/16/08 at 12:22 pm

Beat You in the Fight (Wrath) joins my recordings tomorrow, meaning Envy, Greed, Wrath and Gluttony have been recorded leaving just three songs to eventually tackle, though after that one I think I need a break from the Deadly Seven and will take on slightly easier recordings for a little bit

Remaining are Sloth, Lust and of course Pride (which will likely be the next one I do considering Sloth and Lust both need work and backing tracks). . .

Check for new replies or respond here...