inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Important News Regarding Badave.com

Written By: skittlesking on 12/14/07 at 4:21 pm

Attention All Visitors of Badave.com, my service provider decided without notice to end a critical PHP function that my site relies on and as a result every page on the site has no navigation. The script provided to replace the script by the service provider is inadequate and adds words to my screen, and it is not a php function so I have to research another language. I can over-ride this decision by the service provider when they transfer my account to the "New Platform", which I was scheduled for 12/09/2007, at the time I wrote this (5:14 PM 12/14/2007) that had yet to be done so there is nothing I can do about it other than learning about this other language which I had never heard of. In addition, the scripts that load the songs and stats ARE working, which use this same function that is destroying the rest of the pages, which is all that much more confusing. I will be over-riding this decision as I do not forget to close my scripts out when they are done, and use the scripts only for basic purposes, not transfer of information where the vulnerabilites lie. I apologize for the current look of the site, I assure you it was NOT my decision, and I am NOT supportive of it. I also assure you that I will be seeking a new service provider at the end of this term if this is not quickly resolved, I apologize for the interuption of service. You guys are as surprised as me!

Subject: Re: Important News Regarding Badave.com

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/17/07 at 10:00 am

It's things like this that discourage me from wanting to run a web site.  :(

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/19/07 at 8:08 am

Don't let it get you down, I go through stuff like this for a living!  If you let the things you can't control get you down, you'll always be miserable.

At work, I have to support a product that wasn't developed here, and we don't even have source code for, or a support contract.  Your situation is at least correctable, even if it is a total pain in the ass to rewrite code that was perfectly fine.

Usually stuff like this occurs because the software the ISP installed had security flaws that were affecting someone else, so they upgrade everyone.  Unfortunately it usually breaks something else in the process.  Better to take the hit in the functionality to prevent the security hole from taking out everything.

Written By: skittlesking on 12/19/07 at 10:08 am

Yep, I am working on it. . .long process though  ::)  but it has to get done - -

Check for new replies or respond here...