inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: HEY PARODISTS!! Call in tomorrow while I'm live on 89.5 and SING YOUR SONGS!

Written By: skittlesking on 01/08/08 at 5:43 pm

They are also looking for Phoning it in Impromptu performances! SO Please if you want to sing a part of your a parody call  312-893-2993 between 4pm and 5pm Central (5 and 6 Eastern) and JUST DO IT, well introduce yourself of course first. . .CHECK US OUT!! Oh remember, this is real radio, so FCC guidelines, No potty mouth

I will be on air live on 89.5 FM Vocalo in Chicago, Illinois on Friday the 11th from 4pm to 5pm Central Standard Time via phone.

I'm not 100% sure other than commentary on music being played and interview questions what all I am going to be talking about, but that's 5pm to 6pm Eastern, and well, if anyone wants international, I'll post it later by request. . .also they replay this broadcast overnight, and thus it will replay my live interview from 11pm to Midnight CST, or Midnight to 1am Eastern.

Thanks everyone sorry to start so many threads, I just seem to have a lot going on lately I guess  :)

You can listen live via vocalo.org as well.

Subject: Re: Below Average Dave Live Interview/Chat from 4 to 5 CST on 89.5 FM!

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/09/08 at 9:51 am

Since I will be at work and in Chicago with access to the show, I will do my darndest to listen in!!

Written By: skittlesking on 01/09/08 at 10:09 am

Since I will be at work and in Chicago with access to the show, I will do my darndest to listen in!!

Excellent:)

Written By: skittlesking on 01/09/08 at 1:57 pm

Anyone who wants to call in live can at 312-893-2993 during the show can, anyone who knows they want to please let me know so I can give them an approximate list of anyone who might be calling in.

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/09/08 at 1:58 pm

Anyone who wants to call in live can at 312-893-2993 during the show can, anyone who knows they want to please let me know so I can give them an approximate list of anyone who might be calling in.

Got your PM, might or might not join in. Very likely not, but, you never know.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/09/08 at 2:00 pm

Got your PM, might or might not join in. Very likely not, but, you never know.

Ok well I'll put you in as a maybe.

Subject: Re: HEY PARODISTS!! Call in tomorrow while I'm live on 89.5 and SING YOUR SONGS!

Written By: skittlesking on 01/10/08 at 3:36 pm

They are also looking for Phoning it in Impromptu performances! SO Please if you want to sing a part of your a parody call  312-893-2993 between 4pm and 5pm Central (5 and 6 Eastern) and JUST DO IT, well introduce yourself of course first. . .CHECK US OUT!! Oh remember, this is real radio, so FCC guidelines, No potty mouth

Subject: Re: HEY PARODISTS!! Call in tomorrow while I'm live on 89.5 and SING YOUR SONGS!

Written By: Matthias on 01/10/08 at 3:38 pm

They are also looking for Phoning it in Impromptu performances! SO Please if you want to sing a part of your a parody call 813-893-2993 between 4pm and 5pm Central (5 and 6 Eastern) and JUST DO IT, well introduce yourself of course first. . .CHECK US OUT!! Oh remember, this is real radio, so FCC guidelines, No potty mouth

Sweet! My Big Break!!!

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/10/08 at 3:49 pm

Please note the CORRECT phone number, different than from Dave's opening post.

(I'm just a Chicagoan who knows his 2 area codes well... ;))

312-893-2993

Written By: skittlesking on 01/10/08 at 4:20 pm

Please note the CORRECT phone number, different than from Dave's opening post.

(I'm just a Chicagoan who knows his 2 area codes well... ;))

312-893-2993

Thanks buddy  IT IS 312-893-2993. . . PS I am currently picking what three songs I will be doing live for tomorrow as well

Written By: jreuben on 01/10/08 at 10:37 pm

Holy crap...you sing live on the air?

Written By: jreuben on 01/10/08 at 10:38 pm

Matthias and I are ready for a steel cage match... :)  Santa vs the Teddy Bear

Written By: skittlesking on 01/10/08 at 10:54 pm

Lets rock this for parodist and badave and AMIRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I will be doing the first ever real live performance via phone of MIX TWO CHEMICALS. . .a song yet to be recorded and without just singing it to the original . . .oh yeah and I'll be doing commentary on other pieces and hopefully hearing from you guys and performing a couple of classics too!

Written By: wildcard on 01/11/08 at 12:14 am

um  I got a caption phone but I really cant hear what else would be going on so  :-\\  leaning twords I don't think so

Written By: skittlesking on 01/11/08 at 6:19 am

um  I got a caption phone but I really cant hear what else would be going on so  :-\\  leaning twords I don't think so

Well, I hope that you can tune in then instead. .I can understand over a caption phone--that would be difficult

Written By: wildcard on 01/11/08 at 12:03 pm

^ the caption phone works just like a regular phone.  Unless I find some technology or my ears get fixed I cant tune in.  So jhjkfdhfjfkkfhklkljkllkdx have to accept my disability.  Good luck you crazy C- right website any kind of pizza eater

Written By: Rex on 01/11/08 at 12:37 pm

I won't be calling in but there's a pretty good chance I'll be listening if they have internet audio. Go BAD!

Written By: EthanM on 01/11/08 at 1:01 pm

I just found out about this and I plan on calling in but I haven't decided what to do yet

Written By: Matthias on 01/11/08 at 2:34 pm

I'll be calling in, expecially if we have other people calling in. Joining in on the Amiright-ness of this broadcast will be emence, and amazing!!!

Written By: EthanM on 01/11/08 at 3:30 pm

This may be the only day in just about ever when I would be able to listen and call in since my Mac hasn't worked in months and didn't really broadcast internet radio shows well when it did, but I'm at my parents' house today after getting back from israel yesterday and I'm probably leaving tomorrow.  Still haven't decided what to do  for my impromptu performance. I guess that will increase the improptitude.

Written By: EthanM on 01/11/08 at 4:09 pm

Lady twist is awesome...this is one of the best parodies I've heard, and the fall out boy parody wasn't bad either.

Written By: EthanM on 01/11/08 at 4:33 pm

I wonder if there will be enough time to call in...still a solid show about halfway through

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/11/08 at 4:54 pm

Yay for Dave, Jeff Reuben and Red Ant! To  Dave in particular, your live performance has more of an oomph than your recordings, you should get out to a live venue, if that is possible for you...any open-mike venues in Florida?

Awesome performances all around (which is more than I can say for the bland hiphop music they played in between ;)), and the hosts seemed genuinely interested in your works (and our art, by extension).

Wish I coulda been there...

Excellent shoutouts to amiright, Dave...be sure you let Chucky know...and let us know when they have the show archived.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/11/08 at 4:55 pm

Great job Jeff and Dave! You duetted that live?  :o

I suppose doing an impromptu, abbreviated and a capella "Battle Hymn of the Darwin Awards" over a cell phone wasn't the best idea, but it was cool to be on the radio, and I can only go up from there! (in case you can't tell, I was nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rockin' chairs...)

Ant

Written By: Red Ant on 01/11/08 at 4:57 pm

Lady twist is awesome...this is one of the best parodies I've heard, and the fall out boy parody wasn't bad either.

Yeah, that's the best Soulja Boy parody I've heard... crank dat dictionary, lol.

Ant

Written By: jreuben on 01/11/08 at 5:00 pm

Great job Jeff and Dave! You duetted that live?  :o

I suppose doing an impromptu, abbreviated and a capella "Battle Hymn of the Darwin Awards" over a cell phone wasn't the best idea, but it was cool to be on the radio, and I can only go up from there! (in case you can't tell, I was nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rockin' chairs...)

Ant

Jack, I thought it sounded very good!  I was impressed.

Dave, that's awesome that you thought to sing the background tracks on the fly, I can't wait to hear it when it's posted

Written By: EthanM on 01/11/08 at 5:02 pm

They never announced that they were taking phone calls, which is probably for the best because if there is no quality control than the quality can get really low in that case. Hopefully this happens again, and let me know if it does since even if I can't listen in then I should still be able to figure out how the calling process works and then call in.

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/11/08 at 5:02 pm

Just one more thing, though...it was very hard to hear you, Dave...it was like you were 6 rooms away, compared to Jeff and Jack.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/11/08 at 5:04 pm

Jack, I thought it sounded very good!  I was impressed.

Dave, that's awesome that you thought to sing the background tracks on the fly, I can't wait to hear it when it's posted

Thanks, Jeff!

Ant

Written By: skittlesking on 01/11/08 at 5:57 pm

Thanks everyone, and I loved the live performance element. . .I need to do that more often--I will try I promise, and if nothing else, my overly-happy Mother (she and my grandma got a huge kick out of me being on the radio, they listened up in St. Louis)  will be recording the rebroadcast at 1am-2am Eastern, Noon-1am Central. . .and Agri, I will be going in for a live performance when I'm in St. Louis next, so I'll have to stop by and say Hi while I'm in Chicago for the performance, not sure when it's going to happen yet, Wow that was fun!

Wow what a rush of energy! Thank you!

Written By: Step-chan on 01/11/08 at 7:04 pm

I would if I had long distance.... The only thing would be which parody to sing some of if I could...

Written By: skittlesking on 01/12/08 at 1:13 am

Alright, I recorded the 'rebroadcast' and it's too huge to post anywhere as a whole thing, but I will chop it up into individual performances and interview and post them here. . .

None of the performances are quite like a regular recording, they are all one take, and I think Jeff Reuben and Red Ant really did very well on their live versions of their songs, and I feel pretty good about two of my three (I messed up on the third, but hey it was live and I recovered pretty well--I think)  What I was thinking was I'll split it up like this

1. Below Average Dave is introduced and he sings "Pepsi Dependency" live via phone
2. Below Average Dave is interviewed by Robin and Luis
3. Below Average Dave sings a premier song "Mix Two Chemicals" and commentary before/after piece
4. Below Average Dave sings "Antarctican Terrorist" and commentary
5. Jeff Reuben sings "Homley No more" and commentary introduction
6. Jack "Red Ant" Fletcher sings "Battle Hymn of the Darwin Awards" and commentary introduction/outro for all three

I figure you guys can hear the "New Years Eve" recording that they started with anytime so no need to keep that,
Also no need to keep the added clips between commentary and performances, especially since they weren't comedy
I will add a link to Lady Twists' "Crank Dat Dictionary" as it was hilarious, it's why I chose it to be played during my hour

Even though quality over the phone was obviously sacrificed a bit (especially in louder parts and poofing), overall that was exciting and I realized quite frankly that I enjoy live performances more than I even enjoy recording, and I think doing that more often (though preferably on a stage or something of that nature) would really be entertaining, if I do find a place that I can do this for fun, I will record my performances and post them over at badave.com, youtube.com, jibjab.com and of course here on AmIRight where you guys have really made me feel at home--Thanks everyone for supporting me on this, I think we represented AmIRight the way it needed to be!

Written By: wildcard on 01/12/08 at 11:39 am

Please do this again some time if possible Dave.  Recording can get so frustrating for me sometimes.  I would have loved to sing live. 

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/14/08 at 7:45 am

Wilcard (and anyone else), I think you should note that vocalo.org, the website/radio station that hosted the show, invites people to contribute "content" of any sort at any time. Register over there with your phone number and e-mail, and you can contribute by uploading recordings or even by simply talking(singing) on your own phone!

(just keep in mind, of course, to follow the basic FCC rules of naughty words, or they won't even bother letting your material on the air...)
www.vocalo.org

Written By: skittlesking on 01/14/08 at 5:24 pm

Yes Agri. . .and I hope everyone does see that, I think that we've opened a big door--it's a user oriented station in Chicago, I mean, that's pretty big to start with, we can spread the comedy quite literally. . .

I also just got notice from Robin that she has no problem with me reposting it, though she's going to be doing that herself with the individual performances, so I may just wait because I do have a lot on my plate. . .

Would anyone object to me sharing the commentary with here in this forum, she's curious to know what people thought.

Written By: jreuben on 01/15/08 at 9:16 am

I actually had a question, I'm going to ask Robin directly, but thought maybe you would know.  During the rebroadcast, a line was dumped from Homely no more:  "So I have to wear depends, chicks they just can't see past my explosive flatulence" (without the sound effect).  Did that violate FCC rules?  I didn't think it would, but since it was dumped I wanted to see if it did, if Robin simply avoids "bathroom humor", or if it was just a glitch.

No objection to sharing this (or any of this thread) with Robin, of course.

Yes Agri. . .and I hope everyone does see that, I think that we've opened a big door--it's a user oriented station in Chicago, I mean, that's pretty big to start with, we can spread the comedy quite literally. . .

I also just got notice from Robin that she has no problem with me reposting it, though she's going to be doing that herself with the individual performances, so I may just wait because I do have a lot on my plate. . .

Would anyone object to me sharing the commentary with here in this forum, she's curious to know what people thought.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/15/08 at 2:11 pm

I actually had a question, I'm going to ask Robin directly, but thought maybe you would know.  During the rebroadcast, a line was dumped from Homely no more:  "So I have to wear depends, chicks they just can't see past my explosive flatulence" (without the sound effect).  Did that violate FCC rules?  I didn't think it would, but since it was dumped I wanted to see if it did, if Robin simply avoids "bathroom humor", or if it was just a glitch.

I Would highly doubt it violated FCC rules. .. I would think it may have just been coincidence that during the rebroadcast it happened. . .let me check my recording at that part . . .it had to be coincidence, because it was cutting in and out really bad on the rebroadcast on your piece, so it may not be intentional. . .but it quickly skipped forward. . .I'd ask her . ..I mean I know it doesn't, but if she knows why that line disappeared.

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/16/08 at 7:40 am

IDid that violate FCC rules?  I didn't think it would, but since it was dumped I wanted to see if it did, if Robin simply avoids "bathroom humor", or if it was just a glitch.

It doesn't, but that doesn't mean that a particular station might have their own set of ground rules of taste. As a matter of fact, there is NO black and white rule mandated by the FCC about what constitutes a dirty word or censorable material. Their take on the matter is applying whatever the material is against "community standards" (ie, what the general public who might actually listen in would feel). So, if the "community standard" of vocalo is to avoid fart noises, that would be their stand. I heard another segment on the station later that day where the word "ass" was bleeped--which technically is not a naughty word, but I don't know if vocalo bleeped it or the performer did it himself.

Check for new replies or respond here...