inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Parody Artists Get Together of 2008 **LOCATION AND DATES SET!!**

Written By: Red Ant on 01/11/08 at 5:31 pm

Hey all!

Dave, Matthias and I have been talking a bit about meeting other parody artists in person. We'd like to meet all of you guys and girls eventually, so I was thinking about having some sort of get together this summer or possibly in fall.

Anyone who is interested in such a convention please reply to this thread with your ideas.

Ant

Subject: Re: Parody Artists Get Together of 2008

Written By: wildcard on 01/11/08 at 6:00 pm

I had this thought that one day my hearing will return and I'd celebrate by meeting as many of you as I can.  Like a picnic or something simple. Hearing or not I'd love to see everyone if possible.  Might need a few get to-gethers in different locations

Written By: Step-chan on 01/11/08 at 7:06 pm

Me too... I just need to find a way to get to one.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/11/08 at 7:09 pm

Well Jack, you--me and Matthias have been talking about this for awhile, we'll work on location and such based on the amount of interest that builds here. . .and what ideas people had. . .I was thinking a Theme Park or something where we all have a blast and afterwards hang out in a hotel party/conference room and eat and get to know each other and exchange numbers etc. . .but we definitely need to work all the details so that we can make it happen. . .where, when, who, how to pay for it etc. . .It can't be impossible, I mean if SexyBack can be a Number One hit, then AmIRight parodists get together is far from inconceivable.

Written By: EthanM on 01/11/08 at 7:40 pm

We've had regional get togethers in the past. Are you thinking of a big national sort of thing like a parodycon or something like that? I think there has been talk of that before but nothing ever materialized. Travel can be expensive, and I probably couldn't make it unless it was in new york.

Written By: Matthias on 01/11/08 at 8:43 pm

Indeed we have been talking about this for quite some time now.
I already met Red Ant, and we had a blast, and I'm planning on meeting Dave this summer.
BUT I would LOVE to meet you all at once.
We need to find out where everyone lives so we can get a centered location.

(This may be in some ocean due to Kristof/Phil and Conquerer...)

Written By: Red Ant on 01/11/08 at 8:51 pm

Well, I was looking at who lived where and trying to determine some fairly central point from there.

Central in the US would be Kansas (three words: not gonna happen  ;D), but most of us live in the eastern part of the US, so I was thinking somewhere in PA, maybe Seven Springs, might be a decent location. One can rent enormous cottages there, and the weather should be quite good in the summer. Split a place 5-10 ways for a week and travel would be the only real expense.

Drives there would be fairly long for everyone (anywhere from 4-10+ hours), and I'm not sure if there is a major airport nearby. IIRC it's pretty much in the middle of PA.

Central to everyone on the site would probably be right smack dab in the Bermuda Triangle (damn Aussies  ;))   ;D

Since we're so spread out, picking a place that is easy to reach is fairly problematic.

I wanna say that AFW, PMS and Matt are in Ohio (I think Merry is moving back there, too). I'm in VA. MrMacphisto is in NC. Dave is in FL. Jeff is in MD. Rick Cormier and JD (and Invisible Boy) are in MA (maybe John Barry, too?). Step-chan (and Guy) is in Texas. Aggy (and possibly Cat?) are in IL. Ethan and Glen are in NY, and I think Michael P is in NJ. I don't know where everyone is though, or who might like to attend (no offense intended if I left you out).

Of course, there's lots of parodists from the western side of the US and those abroad who I'd like to meet as well. Short of someone winning the lotto it's going to be impossible to get everyone to one place at one time. I'm sure Spaff can afford a plane ticket to wherever (since I got his new CD - he's flowing with cash now  ;)) and Arwen could charm her way onto a plane and bring Alvin, Rick D, Paul R and John J with her.  ;)

Stu, Phil, Kristof, Mikey Squirrel, etc. might have a way of visiting if there is enough time to set up something definitive.

A theme park might work - not sure if everyone likes them, but something that is more a vacation with the added bonus of meeting fellow parodists could be the way to go.

Plane tickets are not that bad if purchased in advance - when I flew down to Tampa in June I think it cost me $190 round trip, all taxes included. I couldn't have driven down there that cheaply.

Ant

Written By: Step-chan on 01/11/08 at 9:18 pm

I'm from Indiana.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/11/08 at 9:21 pm

I'm from Indiana.

It was a typo...

:-Ant

Written By: Step-chan on 01/11/08 at 9:25 pm

It was a typo...

:-Ant

No problem. ;)

I thought that you might have forgotten.

Written By: Matthias on 01/11/08 at 9:59 pm

Well...... A resort of some sort would be cool (Although perhaps expensive).
We can do something cheap such as a parodist camp, if everyone is up for camping (I think it would be pretty cool, but this is from an ex-boy scout perspective.)
Amusment parks would be cool too.

If it's in PA, I'm not too sure if Dave will be able to make it.

What's in PA that's worth going to go see.

I went camping in PA with the scouts, but I don't know much else that's in PA.

Getting to a location is one thing, doing something and organizing this something is difficult.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/11/08 at 11:10 pm

Well...... A resort of some sort would be cool (Although perhaps expensive).
We can do something cheap such as a parodist camp, if everyone is up for camping (I think it would be pretty cool, but this is from an ex-boy scout perspective.)
Amusment parks would be cool too.

If it's in PA, I'm not too sure if Dave will be able to make it.

What's in PA that's worth going to go see.

I went camping in PA with the scouts, but I don't know much else that's in PA.

Getting to a location is one thing, doing something and organizing this something is difficult.

Not to mention if it's in the summer, it'd be hard for you to get to that part of the country from where you are going to be

Written By: wildcard on 01/11/08 at 11:21 pm

Isn't the Hershey's Chocolate Festival in PA?  mmmchocolate http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/evil_lol.gif
I've never been to PA so I don't know but my chocolate sense started tingling

I know you're trying to get everyone together but Can I suggest something like a a picnic and maybe a video camera and some planned activities? one can be held in the East and One can be held in the West?

Written By: Red Ant on 01/11/08 at 11:56 pm

I'm sure lots of great things are in PA, but I have to admit that if I never drive the Penna TP again it'll probably be too soon.  :D

A picnic and recording of the event would be good things to do. At this point there are too many things to consider for any location or specifically planned events - if folks see this thread and reply, we might be able to figure out something suitable for those who take interest.

An East/west thing would work, but this get together doesn't have to exclude anyone solely by geography - I know it takes less time to fly to Florida from here than drive to Pennsylvania. I'd be willing to do this on the west coast if that's where it seems to work out the best.

Something Dave touched on is that he and Matt will already be in Florida this summer, and there is plenty to do down there (6 or 7 theme parks within an hour's drive).

Also, I live within spitting distance of two theme parks, Colonial Williamsburg and other touristy attractions and stand a decent chance of getting hotel rooms at a very low price (perhaps <30$ a night per person) if I ask for them well enough in advance.

It also could be like a 2 or 3 day thing instead of longer: fly/drive in one day, go to dinner that evening, activities the next day(s) and go back the next. That would reduce time off from work and hotel/food expenses considerably.

Any thoughts/ideas/comments/concerns/questions are welcome and encouraged. There's nothing set in stone yet by any means.  :)

Ant

Written By: Invisible Boy on 01/12/08 at 2:27 pm

I just came across this thread today. How about Vegas Baby!!!. Just kidding.

Great idea.I'm in New Hampshire, one hour north of Boston. There's an airport 10 minutes from my house from which I can get to anywhere in the US for less than $200 round-trip.

Having said that, New England IS very nice in the summer :-) And Chucky lives near here !!! (1 hour 20 minutes away)

You'll probably need some sort of meeting place...hotel, Inn etc. How about one of the activities being some sort of writing contest ? Sort of like that movie about the crossword puzzles. What about performing live ? For what it's worth, I have all the PA gear you would ever need, but it has to be somewhere I can drive to.

Just some quick thoughts.

8)

Written By: Step-chan on 01/12/08 at 5:18 pm

I just came across this thread today. How about Vegas Baby!!!. Just kidding.

Great idea.I'm in New Hampshire, one hour north of Boston. There's an airport 10 minutes from my house from which I can get to anywhere in the US for less than $200 round-trip.

Having said that, New England IS very nice in the summer :-) And Chucky lives near here !!! (1 hour 20 minutes away)

You'll probably need some sort of meeting place...hotel, Inn etc. How about one of the activities being some sort of writing contest ? Sort of like that movie about the crossword puzzles. What about performing live ? For what it's worth, I have all the PA gear you would ever need, but it has to be somewhere I can drive to.

Just some quick thoughts.

8)

I would like to bring my guitar if I am able to come.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/13/08 at 8:30 am

I would like to bring my guitar if I am able to come.

I actually didn't even think of that, we can individually perform a song or two also and someone can bring a digital video cam or something and upload the performances to YouTube--allowing us to add it to this thread and share with those unable to make it.

Written By: wildcard on 01/13/08 at 11:36 am

I actually didn't even think of that, we can individually perform a song or two also and someone can bring a digital video cam or something and upload the performances to YouTube--allowing us to add it to this thread and share with those unable to make it.

I'd have a blast just seeing everyone and goofing/showing off more so then I would want to do to a theme park or something.  I've metioned picnic like thing.  I think camping for maybe a couple or a few days would be cool. 

Written By: Jack Wilson on 01/13/08 at 11:38 am

Thatd be awesome, but I don t have/cant rally play an instrument, so if  anyone knows how to play any songs Ive parodied, can do that LOL

Written By: jreuben on 01/13/08 at 12:16 pm

I'd be curious  :)

Written By: Jack Wilson on 01/13/08 at 12:31 pm

I'd be curious  :)
I cant play ANYTHING LOL, well I can, but not really good LOL

What would I sing? LOL

Written By: wildcard on 01/13/08 at 1:13 pm

I have a little harmonica I'd like to think I can play everything on.  I'd probably bring it with me if I can make it along with other goodies I take with me wherever I go like my juggling balls and some magic tricks. 

Written By: Step-chan on 01/13/08 at 5:25 pm

Would they have to be pure parodies? Or can they also be original songs as well?

Written By: skittlesking on 01/13/08 at 5:59 pm

Would they have to be pure parodies? Or can they also be original songs as well?

Well if we were doing this as friends, which would be the only reason to meet, I would assume anything would be acceptable as we would really just be there more to meet each other.

Written By: Step-chan on 01/13/08 at 7:04 pm

Well if we were doing this as friends, which would be the only reason to meet, I would assume anything would be acceptable as we would really just be there more to meet each other.

Okay, cool. I have original songs that I would like to share as well. I just hope I'll have a way. I know I need to fix my guitar up alittle, it also needs new strings.

Even if I can't come, we could use my Youtube account for vids, since I don't have anything in my video log(only favorites).

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/14/08 at 7:53 am

Thatd be awesome, but I don t have/cant rally play an instrument, so if  anyone knows how to play any songs Ive parodied, can do that LOL

A Capella doesn't hurt anyone, depending on the song.  :)

Travel for me is a burden, with work, a family, and finances.  :(  If a meet up can be had in Chicago and the vicinity, I would really desire and recommend that. The city has many fine places for folks like us to meet and greet, whether it be hotels, bars, cafes or the parks. We could also possibly put someone up for the night in our cramped apartment on a lumpy futon mattress!  ;) :D

If you want media involvement, that can happen, as we are the 3rd largest TV/radio market in the US (Dave's appearances on vocalo.org were from Chicago's public radio umbrella--there could be other opportunities). It's little wonder that Lollapalooza has been held here in downtown's Grant Park for the past 3 years and will continue to be. Shall we call this "Amirightalooza"?

Written By: EthanM on 01/14/08 at 11:08 am

New York is a pretty big media market too, and I can't travel much either especially since I might be heading up to vermont in a few months.  Although finding a place to stay in NY might be a bit difficult. It's really no surprise that a placve couldn't be agreed upon last time someone tried to organize this, but maybe it wil go better this time.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/14/08 at 4:19 pm

Thanks everyone who has replied so far to this thread. Lots of great ideas, as well as a few problems...

The location is tricky. I would like to have it near someone's home - if they would be so gracious as to use their vehicle to get people from the airport and what not, it would cut down/eliminate the need for a rental car, though here they aren't too bad - we got a 2008 Chevy Malibu for a week for 200$ when we went to Ohio a few weeks ago.

Regarding time off from work: I would think that getting a few days off 6-8 months in advance would not be a problem for anyone.

Money is tight for a lot of us, but here's an easy way to save for the trip. Starting today, put away 1 dollar and any change you accumulate during the day. In 6 months you'd probably have 300$ saved up, which should be enough to cover travel if not also part of hotel expenses. If we had this convention in say late September, that number would be more like 400-450$.

And hey, families are welcome too! I'm sure one of the only things more unique than being a parody writer is being the spouse of a parody writer. I know my wife could share some stories...  :P

I do like IB's idea of New England in the summer and live recordings - although I could get rooms cheap here, I doubt many would enjoy being in VA in July or August, lol - the heat and humidity get pretty unbearable at times.

For now, I think it would be best to decide if you're going to go and to start saving money for it - even if you don't or can't go, it'd still be nice to have a couple of hundred extra dollars this summer, yes? We can work out the location and activities a bit later.

By all means, keep up the ideas and suggestions!

Ant

Written By: skittlesking on 01/14/08 at 5:13 pm

Thanks everyone who has replied so far to this thread. Lots of great ideas, as well as a few problems...

The location is tricky. I would like to have it near someone's home - if they would be so gracious as to use their vehicle to get people from the airport and what not, it would cut down/eliminate the need for a rental car, though here they aren't too bad - we got a 2008 Chevy Malibu for a week for 200$ when we went to Ohio a few weeks ago.

Regarding time off from work: I would think that getting a few days off 6-8 months in advance would not be a problem for anyone.

Money is tight for a lot of us, but here's an easy way to save for the trip. Starting today, put away 1 dollar and any change you accumulate during the day. In 6 months you'd probably have 300$ saved up, which should be enough to cover travel if not also part of hotel expenses. If we had this convention in say late September, that number would be more like 400-450$.

And hey, families are welcome too! I'm sure one of the only things more unique than being a parody writer is being the spouse of a parody writer. I know my wife could share some stories...  :P

I do like IB's idea of New England in the summer and live recordings - although I could get rooms cheap here, I doubt many would enjoy being in VA in July or August, lol - the heat and humidity get pretty unbearable at times.

For now, I think it would be best to decide if you're going to go and to start saving money for it - even if you don't or can't go, it'd still be nice to have a couple of hundred extra dollars this summer, yes? We can work out the location and activities a bit later.

By all means, keep up the ideas and suggestions!

Ant

Hey Jack, Financially what you suggest is reasonable, of course you know at the moment I've got something going on that is draining me of money more than I would like. . .but we'll work on it, we are probably going to have to do a secret ballot vote on location and have people pick from a list of suggestions with everyone ranking their top 3 or 4 choices 1st, 2nd, 3rd. . .

I would like to put in my hat for Tampa because Matthias and I will both be here this summer. . .but if you are talking about heat and humidity I'm probably the only one that thinks that. . .Florida also has lots of hotels and different price ranges because of it's Winter popularity. . .but I'm sure we would all like it to be in our home town (in truth, it's probably something we'll have to do like every other year or something and keep doing different locations--it'd be a good way to get those involved who simply can't travel)

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 01/14/08 at 6:50 pm

This all sounds like a great idea, I'm not sure if I can be able to swing it, financially and time-wise, but I would certainly like to try.
I guess I'm the only Canadian in this group?? Is there any other Canucks out there?
Well, we'll see.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/14/08 at 8:10 pm

This all sounds like a great idea, I'm not sure if I can be able to swing it, financially and time-wise, but I would certainly like to try.
I guess I'm the only Canadian in this group?? Is there any other Canucks out there?
Well, we'll see.

Well I kinda like the Vancouver Canucks. . .does that count (Luongo fan)

Written By: Mikey Squirrel on 01/14/08 at 10:43 pm

Well I kinda like the Vancouver Canucks. . .does that count (Luongo fan)

Well, that's a start! ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 01/14/08 at 11:21 pm

Well, that's a start! ;D

Malcolm Higgins is in (from?) Canada as well.

Love to have ya Mikey!

Ant

Written By: Michael Pacholek on 01/15/08 at 4:18 pm

I'm in New Jersey, and don't have a car, and can't really afford to fly, so I'd have to ride the Hound or McRails.  Anywhere in the Northeast Corridor is okay, but anything further west than Chicago is a no-can-do.

Still, it would be good to put the faces to the names.  And we'd finally get to answer the hobbit question.

Written By: Step-chan on 01/15/08 at 7:17 pm

I'm in New Jersey, and don't have a car, and can't really afford to fly, so I'd have to ride the Hound or McRails.  Anywhere in the Northeast Corridor is okay, but anything further west than Chicago is a no-can-do.

Still, it would be good to put the faces to the names.  And we'd finally get to answer the hobbit question.

I'm giving you a karma for mentioning that. :) I'm surprised I didn't think of that, especially since I ride buses alot.

I never thought of Buses, so if I can afford to come, I could use Greyhound or something like.

Written By: John Jenkins on 01/15/08 at 7:48 pm

And we'd finally get to answer the hobbit question.

I think the Hobbit Question has been answered.

But an opportunity to meet Michael Pacholek would be an opportunity that even those of us with different agendas (or maybe especially those of us with different agendas) would treasure.

Which brings up a question about why those of us who live in California (Paul Robinson, Alvin Rhodes, Linda Terhune, and I in the Los Angeles area and Rick Duncan and John Barry in the Bay area - and I'm sure I missed some people) have not been included on this thread.  I think we would all like to participate and I think southern California would be a great location!

Written By: Red Ant on 01/15/08 at 8:12 pm

I think the Hobbit Question has been answered.

But an opportunity to meet Michael Pacholek would be an opportunity that even those of us with different agendas (or maybe especially those of us with different agendas) would treasure.

Which brings up a question about why those of us who live in California (Paul Robinson, Alvin Rhodes, Linda Terhune, and I in the Los Angeles area and Rick Duncan and John Barry in the Bay area - and I'm sure I missed some people) have not been included on this thread.  I think we would all like to participate and I think southern California would be a great location!

You have been  :):

Of course, there's lots of parodists from the western side of the US and those abroad who I'd like to meet as well. Short of someone winning the lotto it's going to be impossible to get everyone to one place at one time. I'm sure Spaff can afford a plane ticket to wherever (since I got his new CD - he's flowing with cash now  ;)) and Arwen could charm her way onto a plane and bring Alvin, Rick D, Paul R and John J with her.  ;)

Stu, Phil, Kristof, Mikey Squirrel, etc. might have a way of visiting if there is enough time to set up something definitive.
Ant

A SoCal meeting could work as well. As you mention, there are a lot of parodists in the area - I dunno if those on the east coast would be able to get there, but it's a good idea for a meeting place.

I'm glad I know where JB is now - for some reason I thought he was in Mass...

Ant

Written By: skittlesking on 01/15/08 at 8:38 pm

A SoCal meeting could work as well. As you mention, there are a lot of parodists in the area - I dunno if those on the east coast would be able to get there, but it's a good idea for a meeting place.

I'm glad I know where JB is now - for some reason I thought he was in Mass...

Ant

Well you guys have fun in Cali. . .I'm out on that one. . .sorry, but that's way to distant from me. . .take pictures. . .I'll wait until the final location(s) are picked to think about attendance, but I can't go to California, tickets to get to Cali from Florida are outrageous, and there are other complications for me as the average income (and average cost of living) in Cali make the areas I'm from look kinda like third world countries in comparison

Written By: John Jenkins on 01/15/08 at 9:55 pm

Ant

Excuse me, Red Ant  (It appears that my skip reading lessons are paying off)!

Written By: wildcard on 01/15/08 at 10:49 pm

I'm thinking about this and I mentioned it to my dad there's like a 1 in I have no Idea how many chance that I'll be able to take a plane anywhere.  My family and I have been to down south many times and we have some relatives there.  Southern CA would be perfect for me. 

Written By: Step-chan on 01/17/08 at 10:48 am

I would have to find a Greyhound bus that is going to the west coast if I were able to.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/17/08 at 11:32 am

Southwest Airlines, when booked in advance, is as cheap as 89 dollars a ticket. . .I think flight may be much cheaper than we thought. . .(that is one way, but a round trip at that rate is less than 200 bux. . .much more affordable than I thought, and actually cheaper than Greyhound or AmTrack)

Written By: 2nz on 01/17/08 at 12:49 pm

Just found this thread. Great idea.
Sadly, I can't offer too much in terms of the 'where'. My parent's place is on Long Island, which isn't remarkably convenient. I don't know anyone who would have a place in NYC, and renting a hotel room or something in NYC would be really expensive, however if there's interest in holding it in NYC because of the opportunities it offers us to go to a local place to perform, I'll ask my cousin about places and report it here.

I for one like the ideas of somewhere in PA or somewhere in IL. PA is a day's drive for me, and depending on where people are coming from, I could give rides to up to three people. IL has Chicago which has the original deep dish, so I'd also be willing to take a day-and-a-half to drive there.

Let me qualify my offer for rides by saying this all depends when this get-together occurs. I have some crew leader jobs pending for this summer which may make it impossible for me to attend depending on when it is this summer. This I can within two weeks I should know whether and when I'd be able to attend.

I like Dave's idea to have a secret ballot about the 'where'. If we do that, then I could research somewhere in NYC and somewhere in PA that would or could be a possibility. The PA location would most likely be southern PA, near Philly, but I'm not sure.

If we can all agree on a date or a grouping of dates, great. If not, I'll post when I'd be able to attend here on this thread as soon as I know.

It would be excellent to meet more amiright faces. I have a short list of those I've already met in NY and in Utah, but this would be excellent.

-Glen

Written By: Step-chan on 01/17/08 at 2:58 pm

Southwest Airlines, when booked in advance, is as cheap as 89 dollars a ticket. . .I think flight may be much cheaper than we thought. . .(that is one way, but a round trip at that rate is less than 200 bux. . .much more affordable than I thought, and actually cheaper than Greyhound or AmTrack)

I can't take a risk of going by plane.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/17/08 at 3:18 pm

http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm

Odds in any particular year

Odds of dying in a plane crash: 1 in 432,484

Odds of dying in any motor vehicle: 1 in 6,535

Odds of dying as a pedestrian: 1 in 49,139

Odds of dying on a motorcycle: 1 in 73,085

Odds of dying in a car: 1 in 19,216

Odds of dying by Assault with a gun: 1 in 25,263

Not saying anything particular, but I mean. . .it's just very very very rare to die that way

This is based on 2004 statistics

Written By: skittlesking on 01/17/08 at 3:19 pm

Bus deaths are about 1 in 7 million, as an occupant (very common form of travel that tends to be very safe)

Written By: Rex on 01/17/08 at 3:34 pm

<snip>

However, as Bill Cosby says, if you're in a car and the engine stops, you just get out and walk away.  :)

If the east coast and west coast folks want to meet in the middle, I'm in Dallas.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/17/08 at 4:13 pm

However, as Bill Cosby says, if you're in a car and the engine stops, you just get out and walk away.  :)

If the east coast and west coast folks want to meet in the middle, I'm in Dallas.

LOL

Written By: Step-chan on 01/17/08 at 5:47 pm

Odds of dying as a pedestrian: 1 in 49,139

Odds of dying on a motorcycle: 1 in 73,085

Odds of dying in a car: 1 in 19,216

Odds of dying by Assault with a gun: 1 in 25,263

Not saying anything particular, but I mean. . .it's just very very very rare to die that way

I know it's not highly likely to happen. I've never taken a plane before, so I'm just nervous about the idea, that said...

I would still rather take a bus if I can go, as you pointed out...

Bus deaths are about 1 in 7 million, as an occupant (very common form of travel that tends to be very safe)

I'm fairly experience with taking buses, at least around the city.

I'll have to get lucky with income if I am able to come though. I'm at a point where I need a better job...

or win the lotto. :D

If I get a new job, I won't be able to take time off. Unless they are very kind about it.

So if I still have current crappy job at that point(I make a solid amount per hour, but I don't get a enough hours to back it up), I wouldn't be able to afford a bus or plane. If it's a new job, the odds would still be low, but for the reasons I mentioned above.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/17/08 at 8:10 pm

I know it's not highly likely to happen. I've never taken a plane before, so I'm just nervous about the idea, that said...

I would still rather take a bus if I can go, as you pointed out...

I'm fairly experience with taking buses, at least around the city.

I'll have to get lucky with income if I am able to come though. I'm at a point where I need a better job...

or win the lotto. :D

If I get a new job, I won't be able to take time off. Unless they are very kind about it.

So if I still have current crappy job at that point(I make a solid amount per hour, but I don't get a enough hours to back it up), I wouldn't be able to afford a bus or plane. If it's a new job, the odds would still be low, but for the reasons I mentioned above.

Well I would imagine this would not be the last of these type of meetings, regardless of where it took place and I would also imagine that over time we'd try many locations so that those who have travel issues will still get to participate. . .if nothing else I know I personally (loving air travel myself--the way my ears pop kinda tickles) am hopping to find a better job also, and afford to travel once a year to parts of the country and Canada that I haven't seen, and surely when I visit individual areas I would want to meet the parodists in those cities.

Written By: Step-chan on 01/18/08 at 1:06 pm

Well I would imagine this would not be the last of these type of meetings, regardless of where it took place and I would also imagine that over time we'd try many locations so that those who have travel issues will still get to participate. . .if nothing else I know I personally (loving air travel myself--the way my ears pop kinda tickles) am hopping to find a better job also, and afford to travel once a year to parts of the country and Canada that I haven't seen, and surely when I visit individual areas I would want to meet the parodists in those cities.

Yeah.  ;)

Written By: ThaConqueror on 02/04/08 at 12:47 am

Whenever parodists get together, there just HAS to be singing of their parodies. It's a LAW OF NATURE.

And as much as I'd LOVE to come along, this year doesn't look likely. Year 11 looks to be a b!tch. And Year 12 next year will be a definite bastard. Then I'm free (depends if I go t Uni - but that means knowing what I want to do with my life)! I'd like to see a get together in 2011 celebrating the End of Artistry. There will be much merriment and friendly attacks on BADave for coming up with the bleeding thing  ;D.

Written By: Matthias on 02/04/08 at 1:11 am

Whenever parodists get together, there just HAS to be singing of their parodies. It's a LAW OF NATURE.

And as much as I'd LOVE to come along, this year doesn't look likely. Year 11 looks to be a b!tch. And Year 12 next year will be a definite bastard. Then I'm free (depends if I go t Uni - but that means knowing what I want to do with my life)! I'd like to see a get together in 2011 celebrating the End of Artistry. There will be much merriment and friendly attacks on BADave for coming up with the bleeding thing  ;D.

I second that!!!

Here! Here!

Everybody who ever participated in Artistry is invited, even if you were only in one competition, because every competition counts!

Written By: malibumike65 on 02/13/08 at 9:50 pm

I can't believe that i didn't see this thread before. I'd love a get together, but seeing that I am an unemployed single dad now, a travel budget is practically non existent. Great idea though. Have a web cam set up on a laptop and we can video conference. I hope a lot of you can make it to the meeting. Should be a blast.

Written By: EthanM on 02/13/08 at 10:43 pm

Has any progress been made regarding the location of the meeting? It seems like very few of us can afford to travel.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/19/08 at 2:09 pm

I've said it before about other proposed meetups people have suggested on inthe00s

Have Multiple Meetups

Figure out three or four major locations where at least five or six people can definitely make it without great struggle.  Anyone who can travel, will then have a choice of what is near to them.

If people are committed to going, others will follow.

North east (New York, Southern New England)
West coast - somewhere in California
Mid West
South

I know one meetup would be cooler, but it'll never work.  Or you'll have to move it every year.  I say multiple ones work better.  I used to visit fark a lot, and they have a thousand times more members than amIright has.  They have local meetups every other week or so, always somewhere different.  If there's five members living near one another, I say that's good enough to just plan one and have it.

as for me, I can't sing, I can't write, etc.  However if it's within a 90 minute drive of Worcester, MA I'll make it a point to show up, even if it's only for an hour.  My schedule due to the 2 year old is basically stay at home and work, but I'll make an effort to break away.  90 minutes from Worcester means at least Hartford, Springfield, Providence, Boston, Manchester (which are all basically an hour away).

if you want a bigger gathering, a more generic inthe00s/amiright meetup might help as well.

Written By: EthanM on 02/19/08 at 6:26 pm

So, who's in for new york city? That is, by far, the easiest place to perform

Written By: wildcard on 02/22/08 at 12:33 pm

I'd have to have a California deal. 

Written By: skittlesking on 02/22/08 at 6:09 pm

Well, me and Red Ant along with Matthias will be having a mini one in Florida that will be open to anyone, I am willing to travel in the future, but since Matthias will be down here already for the summer--it just made sense, and Jeff Reuben has indicated he may be here too if we schedule it right, so the SouthEast one has begun planning.

Written By: Red Ant on 03/30/08 at 5:24 pm

An update to this thread is in order:

A lot of people have expressed interest in a get together. Picking a place and dates has been problematic (as expected), but there is now a set time and location:

June 21-22 (Sat and Sun) in Tampa, Fl.

You might think that on-line ticket purchases would be cheaper than a travel agent. Such was not the case last year when I got tickets, and it appears the same this year. Cheapest I could find on-line was ~$220 round trip (from Norfolk, VA), and that was 1 stop each way. I got tickets with a travel agent for $180 roundtrip and nonstop flights.

Ticket prices have not gone up much, if at all, since last year.

If you can get down to Florida, we can help out with transportation and lodging. I am going to be renting 2 double occupancy rooms over the weekend, one for recording/lounging/cards/ games/entertainment/etc. and one for sleeping. If need be people can stay in the second room, or at Dave's apartment. Dave will be renting a car the week of the event, so transportation is taken care of as well.

Food for two days won't be much either - most hotels have continental breakfasts, and lunch and dinner for two days might be 30 or 40 bucks tops.  We'll probably make sandwiches for lunch and order chicken or pizza for dinner anyway, so 20 bucks could get ya through the weekend.

As far as I know, Matthias, Dave, Jeff Reuben and I are coming. I believe Jack Wilson is in Florida, and, as I said earlier, others have shown interest in meeting up.

Severla people have mentioned money is tight - no kidding. Same here for me, though I did much better on taxes and savings this year than I thought I would. That said, I'm willing to help out a few who really want to come down but can't really afford to by pitching in half toward the cost of their airline ticket.

So, now some are looking at ~100-150$ for travel, 20-30$ for food, free board and transportation. As little as 120$ to go to bright, sunny Florida for a weekend and meet up with some of the coolest people on the planet (as well as the four of us ;)) - how can you skip that?

If you're interested, please let me know no later than April 16th - buying tickets well in advance is key to getting them at a good rate.

Ant

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/30/08 at 9:52 pm

An update to this thread is in order:

A lot of people have expressed interest in a get together. Picking a place and dates has been problematic (as expected), but there is now a set time and location:

June 21-22 (Sat and Sun) in Tampa, Fl.

excellent... if I could attend I would, but I know I'll be knee deep in the middle of my house addition at that point.

Maybe lock this thread, and start a new one now that you know you have a definitive meet up scheduled, and then submit it as a news item on amIright and sticky it in this board.

Subject: Re: Parody Artists Get Together of 2008 **LOCATION AND DATES SET!!**

Written By: wildcard on 03/30/08 at 10:30 pm

Not at this time.  I still need to get my ears fixed to really enjoy things anyway. 

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/31/08 at 7:38 am

Have fun guys, but the rest of us expect a full report--photos, essays, etc.

Written By: Red Ant on 04/14/08 at 12:04 am

Further information on this event can be found here:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=32058.0

Please reply there if you are interested. If you have any questions, send Dave or I a PM (or ask on that thread) and we'll answer them. Thank you.

Ant

Check for new replies or respond here...