inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Big 7 Parody Writing Advice & Counsel Room

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/14/08 at 8:09 am

Come here for help in writing the Big 7 Parodies, or to share your experiences and frustrations.

As stated elsewhere, I am on a self-started project to complete the Big 7 Parodies, in my own ininimatable style.

For those keeping score, the Big 7 are (with my progress as of this post noted next to each;)

American Pie completed
Be Our Guest 3/4s done
Blinded By The Light 1/3 done
The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald got a concept in mind, but haven't begun
I am the Very Model of a Modern Major General pretty much complete, spot checking for pacing and etc.
Bohemian Rhapsody the "opera" part and the first couple verses are done
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious haven't gotten anywhere yet. No clue how to work it yet.

The true be-yotch is Ed Fitz....damn Gordon Lightfoot. Not only are there tons o'verses, but there is no consistency to his syllables. There is a basic pattern in each verse, but he stretches words as he feels like it. To follow his rhymes would be damn near impossible, too. Yuck. No wonder this song is hated so much.

Subject: Re: Big 7 Parody Writing Advice & Counsel Room

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/14/08 at 8:12 am

I posted a Youtube of MMG recently from the movie of the Pirates Of Penzance.

Here there is no viewed performance, but it is complete, plus the words are on-screen so you can sing along:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYZM__VdEjk&feature=related

Written By: Red Ant on 01/14/08 at 8:46 am

WotEF does have some consistency - all of the 2nd and 4th lines are 10 syllables each:

http://home.pacbell.net/chabpyne/lyrics.html

Re: his "rhymes" - yep, a PITA with all the proper names (same deal with Major-General). Following the basic pattern, AABCCB, is not terribly difficult (this coming from someone who hasn't done it yet..).

Ant

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/06/08 at 7:59 am

I've determined that the easiest way for me to tackle the TWOTEF is to ignore the original lyric sheet completely as my guide, as I normally would.

Instead, I will use the skeleton of the tune to guide me along, hence
--14 verses of 4 lines each
--the 2nd and 4th lines of each verse must be 10 beats long, and must rhyme
--the 1st and 3rd lines will be between 9-13 beats in length ...this is what I counted from the lyric sheet throughout
--but the shuffling rhythm is still integral (eg. ya-da DAAA, ya-da DAAA, ya-da yaa-daa, ya DAAA)

Hope this might help someone who wants to wreck this wreck for their own amusment.  ;)

Written By: wildcard on 02/06/08 at 11:10 am

I've determined that the easiest way for me to tackle the TWOTEF is to ignore the original lyric sheet completely as my guide, as I normally would.

Instead, I will use the skeleton of the tune to guide me along, hence
--14 verses of 4 lines each
--the 2nd and 4th lines of each verse must be 10 beats long, and must rhyme
--the 1st and 3rd lines will be between 9-13 beats in length ...this is what I counted from the lyric sheet throughout
--but the shuffling rhythm is still integral (eg. ya-da DAAA, ya-da DAAA, ya-da yaa-daa, ya DAAA)

Hope this might help someone who wants to wreck this wreck for their own amusment.  ;)

If I ever finish I'm just going to pun through the whole thing one line at a time.  I guess this is why length bothers me more then pacing or anything else.

Is anyone still interested in completing Devil Glitch? 

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/06/08 at 1:49 pm

Is anyone still interested in completing Devil Glitch? 

Kind of fell to the wayside thanks to the holidaze, didn't it?  :)
I forgot it!

Add to it anytime, Ann.

Written By: wildcard on 02/06/08 at 5:15 pm

Kind of fell to the wayside thanks to the holidaze, didn't it?  :)
I forgot it!

Add to it anytime, Ann.

Sure  but I'm not going to spend any more time on it if no one ( or hardly anyone) is interested.  I think I've contributed about half of what we got over there.

Check for new replies or respond here...