inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Amiright Award Show Idea

Written By: Matthias on 01/18/08 at 11:16 pm

For the fallowing year of '08, I think we should try out something new instead of just SOTY, which is a hulking list of parodies and a real pain in the butt to vote on when it's actually time to vote on it, because you have to read all of those parodies, and find the best 7.

So instead I was thinking of a "Amiright Award Show" type of thing.

This would be broken up into a list of different categories such as "Best Parody Of A British Artist", or "Best Parody Of A Love Song", or "Best Recording, or "Most Original Idea" or whatever. You'll be able to nominate a parody of yours or somebody else's, and instead of having everybody vote on the certain parody they think is best a group of Amiright Veterens (Hopefully we can get you guys to participate) will vote. The parody that gets the most votes from the veterens will be awarded with that title for the year.

What I need help with from you guys is coming up with the categories.

What do you guys think of this?

Subject: Re: Amiright Award Show Idea

Written By: Step-chan on 01/19/08 at 6:20 pm

Interesting idea. :)

Written By: skittlesking on 01/19/08 at 6:43 pm

For the fallowing year of '08, I think we should try out something new instead of just SOTY, which is a hulking list of parodies and a real pain in the butt to vote on when it's actually time to vote on it, because you have to read all of those parodies, and find the best 7.

So instead I was thinking of a "Amiright Award Show" type of thing.

This would be broken up into a list of different categories such as "Best Parody Of A British Artist", or "Best Parody Of A Love Song", or "Best Recording, or "Most Original Idea" or whatever. You'll be able to nominate a parody of yours or somebody else's, and instead of having everybody vote on the certain parody they think is best a group of Amiright Veterens (Hopefully we can get you guys to participate) will vote. The parody that gets the most votes from the veterens will be awarded with that title for the year.

What I need help with from you guys is coming up with the categories.

What do you guys think of this?

We'll have to work on the details a lot, because the veterans themselves would be nominated. . .

I think the nominations should probably come from others, as in you cannot nominate yourself.  ..

In fact, I think it should be run by three or four individuals, who are of a veteran status, who do not themselves wish to participate in the competition. . .that way the voting would be completely unbiased, and those who are in the competition would not be tempted to vote down someone else in favor of themselves. . .

I think a change is needed, but a lot of planning will have to go into this. . .We should do it like this, I agree, but I think that we are going to have to find a fair and precise way of choosing the 5 or 6 nominees for each category and who will decide each winner.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 01/19/08 at 8:24 pm

It is an interesting idea, but I still think there should be a SOTY comp but with the following minor change...

Your parodies are ineligible for SOTY of the year if you don't vote (for your top 7 songs) yourself.

in other words, keep the comp the way it is, where it's voluntary and comments are not needed for all 39 entries, and those who do choose to vote nominate their 7 favourite songs of the year in order, BUT....if you choose not to vote, then all your parodies are disqualified from the final count.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 01/21/08 at 7:47 am

Billy Florio used to do a great job with the AmiRight Awards.  I guess every couple of years someone suggests it, but this sounds like a slightly more refined idea.  I just wanted everyone to know it's been done and most of the stuff can be found in the archives if you start looking here.  It could give you a frame of historical reference, anyway.

Check for new replies or respond here...