inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Finally, a 111 parodists will like!

Written By: Red Ant on 01/29/08 at 5:58 pm

Not a vote of 111, but a list:

The 111 Wussiest Songs Of All Time

I usually disagree with most lists I see, but this one seems to be pretty accurate. Dave and Matt are doing their epic 40, I may try to take on this list. I've already done 4 in the top 10, and all 4 are "song satires" (slams).

There's a lot of songs on that list that I do like, but for the most part...  8-P

Ant

Subject: Re: Finally, a 111 parodists will like!

Written By: skittlesking on 01/29/08 at 8:01 pm

Not a vote of 111, but a list:

The 111 Wussiest Songs Of All Time

I usually disagree with most lists I see, but this one seems to be pretty accurate. Dave and Matt are doing their epic 40, I may try to take on this list. I've already done 4 in the top 10, and all 4 are "song satires" (slams).

There's a lot of songs on that list that I do like, but for the most part...  8-P

Ant

Ive done one and only one from that list "I'll Make Love to You" which ranked 70 something. . .and I don't think I could stand listening to half of those. . .I'll stick to my epic 40 . . .those 111 are far too sappy for me.

Written By: Matthias on 01/29/08 at 9:34 pm

The worst part about the winning song is that the music video they do this to is even more annoying, because they include Sesame Street characters dancing....

Perhaps next year I'll work on this, but for this year I'm sticking with the Epic 40.

I guess I'm less masculine than Dave... I've done 9 of these suckers

I did...

1. "I'm Into Something Good" by Herman's Hermits
2. "Don't Take The Girl" - Tim McGraw
3. "Friday, I'm In Love" - The Cure
4. "Bad Day" - Daniel Powter
5. "Annie's Song" - John Denver
6. "With Arms Wide Open" - Creed
7. "Superman (It's Not Easy)" - Five For Fighting
8. "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" - Culture Club
9. "You're Beautiful" - James Blunt

Man...

Written By: Red Ant on 01/30/08 at 12:29 am

^ I was most relieved to know I had already burned "Shiny Happy People". I wouldn't consider that the wussiest song ever though... cheesy, lame, bad, but wussiest, no.

I've done 8 of the 111, 7 of which are song slams (Scarborough Fair should NOT be on this list). . Seems like I picked some pretty good targets.

I've been meaning to tear Minnie Riperton's "Loving You" a new ass for quite some time. Ditto for a lot of other songs on this list.

Ant

Written By: Matthias on 01/30/08 at 12:32 am

^ I was most relieved to know I had already burned "Shiny Happy People". I wouldn't consider that the wussiest song ever though... cheesy, lame, bad, but wussiest, no.

I've done 8 of the 111, 7 of which are song slams (Scarborough Fair should NOT be on this list). . Seems like I picked some pretty good targets.

I've been meaning to tear Minnie Riperton's "Loving You" a new ass for quite some time. Ditto for a lot of other songs on this list.

Ant

Are you actually going to parody the entire 111 because that would be thrilling to see pulled off.

Expecially seeing you pull off "Don't Take The Girl" by Tim McGraw and "The River" by Garth Brooks, because I think you've only done 1 country song "I've Been Everywhere"...

Written By: Red Ant on 01/30/08 at 12:37 am

Are you actually going to parody the entire 111 because that would be thrilling to see pulled off.

Expecially seeing you pull off "Don't Take The Girl" by Tim McGraw and "The River" by Garth Brooks, because I think you've only done 1 country song "I've Been Everywhere"...

I might over a year or so. Not all will wind up on Amiright though (the Bee Gees' "How Deep Is Your Love?" is a likely candidate for WFs...)

And, um, one country song? Ouch.  :-X

Ant

Written By: Matthias on 01/30/08 at 12:42 am

You should start up a thread with all of the songs you get done like mine and Dave's Epic 40 forum.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 01/30/08 at 5:26 am

:-
Ive done one and only one from that list "I'll Make Love to You" which ranked 70 something. . .and I don't think I could stand listening to half of those. . .I'll stick to my epic 40 . . .those 111 are far too sappy for me.

This is only my opinion, Dave; but you don't have to like an OS to do a good parody of it. In fact, I think the less you like a tune, the easier it is to tear apart.....and there's something about a cheesy or wussy song that makes it hugely fun to parody, especially if you can add a bit of naughtiness, controversy, or cynicism to the mix.

I'm gonna have a crack at a majority of these in the next year.....thanks Matty!

Written By: Matthias on 01/30/08 at 9:14 am

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

So far I think I'm the record holder with 12 from the list....that's well over 10%!

So many great parodyable OSes there (I've got works-in-progress for about another 15 listed)

This is only my opinion, Dave; but you don't have to like an OS to do a good parody of it. In fact, I think the less you like a tune, the easier it is to tear apart.....and there's something about a cheesy or wussy song that makes it hugely fun to parody, especially if you can add a bit of naughtiness, controversy, or cynicism to the mix.

I'm gonna have a crack at a majority of these in the next year.....thanks Matty!

Errrr.... Don't you mean Red Anty or Jacky? I didn't post it... Oh what the heck, nevermind, I'll take it.

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/30/08 at 9:26 am

Hipsters I shared the list with got really pissed off when they slammed The Replacements' "Skyway".  ;D

Written By: jreuben on 01/30/08 at 9:36 am

Yikes...I've done 5, two in the top 10, and one of my favorites (Every Rose Has Its Thorn).  Some of those songs have serious potential though :)

Written By: Step-chan on 01/30/08 at 5:45 pm

Looking through it right now, I'll see if I already have any from it.

There is at least one I had a extremely dark parody to(Kiss Me by Sixpence None The Richer)... But I hesitant to do that one, it's abit to morbid, the idea  is a slam on the song, I heard it so many times I can't stand it now.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 01/30/08 at 6:08 pm

Errrr.... Don't you mean Red Anty or Jacky? I didn't post it... Oh what the heck, nevermind, I'll take it.

Erk! My noggin's really not firing today....never mind. Thanks JACK....and you can take a hike, Stovarsky  :D

Written By: Step-chan on 01/30/08 at 8:22 pm

I didn't see any on that list that I've done.

Written By: Max Power on 01/31/08 at 12:24 pm

I've done one so far.

Written By: jreuben on 02/01/08 at 2:33 pm

Looking through it right now, I'll see if I already have any from it.

There is at least one I had a extremely dark parody to(Kiss Me by Sixpence None The Richer)... But I hesitant to do that one, it's abit to morbid, the idea  is a slam on the song, I heard it so many times I can't stand it now.

If I ever put a band together, it's going to be called "Sixpack None The Drunker"

Written By: Red Ant on 02/03/08 at 12:33 am

If I ever put a band together, it's going to be called "Sixpack None The Drunker"

Heh heh.

Victim #8 will be up Monday: look for a parody of Bread's "If". I was going to try to do them in reverse order, but I'd like to avoid #100 for as long as possible (I call dibs on "Seizures From This Song"  ;))

Ant

Written By: Step-chan on 02/03/08 at 6:15 pm

My parody idea to Kiss Me is called "Shoot Me", it's about someone begging to be killed because they can't stand the song. You can see why I don't really want to write it.

Written By: Matthias on 02/04/08 at 12:52 pm

I'm going to work on "He Sucks The Most" about my LEAST favorite country singer... EVER!!!
I seriously LOATHE Rascal Flatts... So I'm glad he made the list of 111 wussiest songs of all time, but I expected him to be more near number 1 than he was, anyways expect to see this song SOON.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/04/08 at 2:16 pm

My parody idea to Kiss Me is called "Shoot Me", it's about someone begging to be killed because they can't stand the song. You can see why I don't really want to write it.

That's a great idea. I'm working on "Go Kill Yourself" to Eric Carmen's/Sealion Dion's "All By Myself" (number 16 on the list). I wonder how many people have committed suicide while listening to that song.

I'm going to work on "He Sucks The Most" about my LEAST favorite country singer... EVER!!!
I seriously LOATHE Rascal Flatts... So I'm glad he made the list of 111 wussiest songs of all time, but I expected him to be more near number 1 than he was, anyways expect to see this song SOON.

I'll have listen to Rascal Flatts to know why he is that bad. Joy!

I'll try to post a list here of satires done to these 111 songs. I'd like to thank Rick Cormier for already destroying "Precious and Few" and the Cacaman for "I'll Be Missing You".

One question though: how did Air Supply not make this list? (I see they did...once) "Ben" may be wussy, but Michael Jackson was, what, 12 when he sang that? "Making Love (Out Of Nothing At All) would be a much better song for the #3 slot.

Ant

Written By: Step-chan on 02/04/08 at 3:27 pm

That's a great idea. I'm working on "Go Kill Yourself" to Eric Carmen's/Sealion Dion's "All By Myself" (number 16 on the list). I wonder how many people have committed suicide while listening to that song.

Ant

Well, I was afraid it would be too disturbing... Although I have wrote a few about killing fiction characters.

Check for new replies or respond here...