inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: parody performing

Written By: wildcard on 02/08/08 at 4:30 pm

Just wondering what you think about it.

I started doing it and seem to enjoy it.  I think I may have started something new that may or may not catch on.  It's more meaningful to me to be doing something and singing rather then finding a midi and just recording.  It's better that I stick with things that are visual and don't get myself frustrated over my hearing loss. 

Subject: Re: parody performing

Written By: skittlesking on 02/08/08 at 5:06 pm

Just wondering what you think about it.

I started doing it and seem to enjoy it.  I think I may have started something new that may or may not catch on.  It's more meaningful to me to be doing something and singing rather then finding a midi and just recording.  It's better that I stick with things that are visual and don't get myself frustrated over my hearing loss. 

Performing is extremely fun as I found out when I did the live thing on Vocalo 89.5 FM. . .I would love to do it more often, unfortunately I am somewhat of a perfectionist and would probably turn it into far more than it should be, though I'm thinking about just doing some performances in my room and recording them and posting them to YouTube. . .I have dedicated a section to "video performances" at badave for this (as I've seen you've already found:) but I agree, it's far more fun to perform than write or even record, it however is also in my brief experience with both more challenging than either.

I'll post some recorded live performances at my home if people are interested (or maybe even just do some actual live performances using StickAM if people like that idea) but it's a cool idea no doubt to try and increase actual performances

Written By: jreuben on 02/08/08 at 7:47 pm

I totally agree.  Performing is fun and exciting, no matter what your level.  Nerve-wracking?  Yes, that too :)  Having seen and heard Dave perform on 89.5 vocalo.org, and through his own internet station, it does add something to the song, and is fun to watch (especially because you get so into it, Dave!).  I ended up at a karaoke bar last night on a date (of all things), decided to perform Bar Maid Fight, and actually got a great reaction from the crowd (except my date, who threw tomatoes at me).  It's just lots of fun.  I look forward to seeing what you come up with, and hope to be able to put together some type of video soon as well.

Written By: wildcard on 02/08/08 at 8:07 pm

Performing is extremely fun as I found out when I did the live thing on Vocalo 89.5 FM. . .I would love to do it more often, unfortunately I am somewhat of a perfectionist and would probably turn it into far more than it should be, though I'm thinking about just doing some performances in my room and recording them and posting them to YouTube. . .I have dedicated a section to "video performances" at badave for this (as I've seen you've already found:) but I agree, it's far more fun to perform than write or even record, it however is also in my brief experience with both more challenging than either.

I'll post some recorded live performances at my home if people are interested (or maybe even just do some actual live performances using StickAM if people like that idea) but it's a cool idea no doubt to try and increase actual performances

I'm a perfectionist and there are things I don't do anymore like watercolor and drawing because I'd kill myself trying to make it perfect.   

Written By: Matthias on 02/08/08 at 11:18 pm

I rea-ea-ea-eally want to get that Pre-Paid Visa card so I can start buying backing tracks and record.

According to you guys... Namely Charnster and Jeff Reuben that, "Damn Kitten" should be one of the first ones that I do.
I also want to record, "Baby Can't Rap", and "Men In Black", and "Road Rage", and "Scrambler Fan"...

Any other songs of mine do you guys want to see recorded?

Written By: skittlesking on 02/08/08 at 11:58 pm

I rea-ea-ea-eally want to get that Pre-Paid Visa card so I can start buying backing tracks and record.

According to you guys... Namely Charnster and Jeff Reuben that, "Damn Kitten" should be one of the first ones that I do.
I also want to record, "Baby Can't Rap", and "Men In Black", and "Road Rage", and "Scrambler Fan"...

Any other songs of mine do you guys want to see recorded?

Matty. . .be careful on the prepaid card, most of them are absolutely terrible. . .better to open a small credit union account, you are legally old enough to do so or to get a free one that doesn't charge for basic use unlike most prepaid cards that charge you for every purchase. . .(I realize being an H&R Block tax preparer makes it convenient that we offer one, but I already know who you file with) . . .I think I'm heading to bed for the night, but PLEASE be careful on those cards--Amscot is particularly bad (they charge for everything from opening the account to closing it and using it, oh and keeping it open. . .not that it's a surprise, after-all look at their 'check cashing fees'. . .the whole thing is a conspiracy to try and keep those in debt dependent on them because they'll still be in debt (365% interest pay day loans))  Anyhow. . .Talk to me later on this as we have been by phone, don't rush into a prepaid card, make sure you get one that's RIGHT FOR YOU!

Written By: Matthias on 02/09/08 at 12:01 am

Matty. . .be careful on the prepaid card, most of them are absolutely terrible. . .better to open a small credit union account, you are legally old enough to do so or to get a free one that doesn't charge for basic use unlike most prepaid cards that charge you for every purchase. . .(I realize being an H&R Block tax preparer makes it convenient that we offer one, but I already know who you file with) . . .I think I'm heading to bed for the night, but PLEASE be careful on those cards--Amscot is particularly bad (they charge for everything from opening the account to closing it and using it, oh and keeping it open. . .not that it's a surprise, after-all look at their 'check cashing fees'. . .the whole thing is a conspiracy to try and keep those in debt dependent on them because they'll still be in debt (365% interest pay day loans))  Anyhow. . .Talk to me later on this as we have been by phone, don't rush into a prepaid card, make sure you get one that's RIGHT FOR YOU!

Too late.

Written By: Matthias on 02/09/08 at 12:24 am

But on the subject of Music Videos.... I love working on the Sims 2 and making them fit the storylines of the songs. I plan to do that with a few of my own recordings when I get around to recording.

Written By: wildcard on 02/09/08 at 12:52 am

But on the subject of Music Videos.... I love working on the Sims 2 and making them fit the storylines of the songs. I plan to do that with a few of my own recordings when I get around to recording.

Thats cool
I like going live myself and might be doing some computer drawings once in a while.   

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/11/08 at 7:47 am

Wildcard (or anyone)...try to find an "amateur night" or "open mike" night in your area as a place to start on your performing (cafes, comedy clubs, etc.)...some venues or organizers may charge a fee for your chance to shine, others may not. Before walking in, check to see if the show indeed seeks musicians/vocalists or if they have music playback or amplification available. I started out at a local open mike here in town completely a capella!

Open mikes usually have a small audience who are agreeable to anything, appreciative of your performance no matter how much it may suck, and may also give you feedback for your future performances. Good luck!  8)

Written By: Matthias on 02/11/08 at 12:33 pm

I finally got my card and these are the first ones I'm going to do

1. "Scrambler Fan" to Allman Brother's "Ramblin' Man"
2. "Damn Kitten" to Natasha Bedingfield's "Unwritten"
3. "Men In Black" to Michael Jackson's "Black Or White"

And

4. "Uneasy Writer" to Charlie Daniels Band's "Uneasy Rider"

I'm hopefully going to get either "Men In Black" or "Scrambler Fan" out of the way tonight.

Written By: wildcard on 02/18/08 at 12:03 am

Wildcard (or anyone)...try to find an "amateur night" or "open mike" night in your area as a place to start on your performing (cafes, comedy clubs, etc.)...some venues or organizers may charge a fee for your chance to shine, others may not. Before walking in, check to see if the show indeed seeks musicians/vocalists or if they have music playback or amplification available. I started out at a local open mike here in town completely a capella!

Open mikes usually have a small audience who are agreeable to anything, appreciative of your performance no matter how much it may suck, and may also give you feedback for your future performances. Good luck!  8)

Well I might want to wait until my hearing is a little less profound if that can be fixed.  Sounds like my voice is still a nice as it's always been, but if I'd have to communicate and wouldn't understand a word they're telling me. 

buy the way I am wildcard (lowercase)  I think this is a better name for me then rocksann.  After becoming wildcard here I had realized that someone is Wildcard so I kept rocksann as my Soundclick name.  Just call me Ann if you want

Written By: Step-chan on 02/25/08 at 2:37 pm

I've often played my parodies on guitar and have recorded some of them along with covers and my own penned originals on casette tapes.

It is pretty fun.(although there are some parodies I need to practice more often as well as memorize, due to the fact that they are among the ones I want to do the most)

I would like to perform some of them and do recorded vids of them, just need digital recording equipment for my computer. Forntunately, I have a video account.

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/25/08 at 2:56 pm

I've often played my parodies on guitar and have recorded some of them along with covers and my own penned originals on casette tapes.I would like to perform some of them and do recorded vids of them, just need digital recording equipment for my computer. Forntunately, I have a video account.

Here's my advice to heed, just because I think Stepchan has got the right idea it right now. Keep up on the technologies that are available to amateur musicians. I have always been steps behind on the latest technologies, which is the primary reason why you can't hear any Agrimorfee music currently. It costs money...so budget and spend it wisely, and get it free wherever you can.

Check for new replies or respond here...