inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Matthias Recordings

Written By: Matthias on 02/12/08 at 10:28 am

While the vocals are too loud, and the backing track is too quiet... I'm quite proud of it

So come take a gander and a listen to: "Scrambler Fan"
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=665908&content=songinfo&songID=6261486

Subject: Re: Matthias's First Recording

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/12/08 at 11:28 am

Whoa.  ;D

The tuning got better as it progressed. Was this the 1st take? If so, perhaps a warm-up rehearsal would behoove you in future recordings. (Please take this as a positive contructive criticism  :-*)

Weird how you sound like a redneck Homer Simpson! I look forward to hearing more!  8)

(Wish I had the capabilities to record new stuff, and to upload my few scant cassette tape performances)

Written By: Matthias on 02/12/08 at 11:37 am

Whoa.  ;D

The tuning got better as it progressed. Was this the 1st take? If so, perhaps a warm-up rehearsal would behoove you in future recordings. (Please take this as a positive contructive criticism  :-*)

Weird how you sound like a redneck Homer Simpson! I look forward to hearing more!  8)

(Wish I had the capabilities to record new stuff, and to upload my few scant cassette tape performances)

It's about my 5th take of this song... Thanks for looking in Aggy, hope to have more in the future, but I wanted to get at least one up since I've been saying I'm going to do it since last Christmas.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/12/08 at 11:43 am

Finally! Good to see you popped your recording cherry, Matt.  ;D

It did have a carney sound to it, which is cool.

About the volumes, if you used Audacity (and recorded this as at least a two track), you can EQ the levels independently before the final mix and export.

Still loved "Cause the G-Force might mess up your baby"

Ant

Written By: Matthias on 02/12/08 at 11:46 am

Finally! Good to see you popped your recording cherry, Matt.  ;D

It did have a carney sound to it, which is cool.

About the volumes, if you used Audacity (and recorded this as at least a two track), you can EQ the levels independently before the final mix and export.

Still loved "Cause the G-Force might mess up your baby"

Ant

The thing is I tried using that, and that's just begineers unluck, because I noticed that when I made the MP3, and when I returned to it there was an Error of some sort and the vocals were missing, so I decided to just post this version. But I'm glad you liked it.

Written By: jreuben on 02/12/08 at 1:49 pm

Looking forward to listening when I get home tonight (no speakers at work).  And I've been meaning to suggest Living Teddy Bear for your list for awhile now  :)

Written By: Matthias on 02/12/08 at 4:39 pm

I'm going to work on editing this, and if needbe re-recordng it, but I wanted to get a song up here already.
So stay tuned for a better version of this song.

Written By: jreuben on 02/12/08 at 5:28 pm

Not bad, I thought the audio levels were matched well, and it was fun to listen to you sing!

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/13/08 at 11:28 am

Not bad, I thought the audio levels were matched well, and it was fun to listen to you sing!

Agreeance.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 02/14/08 at 6:18 pm

Well, that was a bit different! Big effort, Matty, but you do need to work on synching your vocals to the track-you seemed behind it alot of the time. And you DO have a Simpsonesque quality to your voice. Finally (and I'm a total hypocrite saying this) try and get your tuning a bit sharper. But hey, well done Mr Stovarsky!!!

Written By: Matthias on 02/15/08 at 11:34 am

Looking forward to listening when I get home tonight (no speakers at work).  And I've been meaning to suggest Living Teddy Bear for your list for awhile now  :)

I just downloaded that backing track, and I'm probably going to start working on that recording this weekend. Wish me luck!

Written By: jreuben on 02/15/08 at 1:58 pm

I just downloaded that backing track, and I'm probably going to start working on that recording this weekend. Wish me luck!

<open cockpit door>Just wanted to say good luck, we're all counting on you</close cockpit door>

Written By: Jack Wilson on 02/17/08 at 12:08 pm

That was great! And yeah I agree about the Simpsonesque qulaity of your voice, it was great

Subject: Re: Matthias's Second Recording!!!

Written By: Matthias on 02/22/08 at 9:41 pm

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=665908&content=songinfo&songID=6296234

New Recording: "The Living Teddy Bear"

Written By: guest on 02/23/08 at 7:33 pm

Nice parody, but it seems that people who are tone deaf are the ones who don't realize it. You should get a singer if you plan future recordings, because your voice is impossible to listen to for over 15 seconds.

Written By: skittlesking on 02/23/08 at 8:11 pm

Well, I personally think that it is an improvement over the first one, and I applaud you for trying to record your own stuff--it's not easy and it takes a lot of courage to stand up and put an effort towards it.  No one starts out on top guest, I made it through the whole song and while sure there's room for improvement, even those of us who record all the time like Jeff Reuben, Rick Cormier, Robert Lund and Myself see room for improvement within our own work. . .Hang in there buddy. . .give me a call back when you get a chance.

Written By: Matthias on 02/23/08 at 9:00 pm

Thanks for your words of encouragement Dave... I just wish people like Guest would give me a break when it comes to recording, because I'm a n00b, and at least he said that it was a nice parody, so that's why I think the work you record for me Dave will always be my best work. "House With My Parents Gone" to "House Of The Rising Sun" will be a LOT easier to record, because I don't really have to do anything too impressive with my voice on that one, and the backing track looks simple enough to follow along to. I might have to put "Men In Black" on hold until I get down to Flordia.
Thaks for your kind words anyways Dave. You're always an honest and good friend.

Written By: jreuben on 02/23/08 at 9:28 pm

I already wrote you directly (and will reply to your reply too), but I'd suggest singing and recording Men In Black before heading down to see Dave, as a baseline (or "before") recording.  Just something for yourself, you don't need to post it anywhere, but you can see how Dave's advice helps by comparing it to your first recording.  And I concur with Dave, it takes guts to put your singing out there, especially in the beginning.  There will always be critics, but you will always get better too.

Written By: Matthias on 02/24/08 at 12:36 am

I already wrote you directly (and will reply to your reply too), but I'd suggest singing and recording Men In Black before heading down to see Dave, as a baseline (or "before") recording.  Just something for yourself, you don't need to post it anywhere, but you can see how Dave's advice helps by comparing it to your first recording.  And I concur with Dave, it takes guts to put your singing out there, especially in the beginning.  There will always be critics, but you will always get better too.

Thanks Jeff. I'm glad I got you and Dave (As well as other Amirighters who convinced me to continue recording after hearing the first one). I might record "Men In Black" before heading down there. I have backing tracks for "Unwritten", and "Uneasy Rider" as well, but the easiest one would probably be "Black or White"/ "Men In Black" so I'll work on that one this week, and hopefully I'll get it better than "Living Teddy Bear", since "Living Teddy Bear" was better (at least that's what a lot of people say) than "Scrambler Fan".

Written By: Red Ant on 02/24/08 at 11:36 pm

We talked by phone already Matt, but to say it here again: taking on Bon Jovi is a tall order, so props for doing it. And the song is funny. Practice will get your timing more in line with TOS, and playing around with the recording software will help as well.

Dave and I are using Music Maker 12/11, and you can pick up that software for around 30$ or so now - it does a lot more than Audacity, and there isn't a lot of differences between the versions we have, so we can help each other with settings and what not.

Recording can be frustrating in the beginning, especially having written so many parodies. We get smacked back to noobville instantly. Stick with it and my advice would be to sing your parody so many times you forget the original lyrics - sometimes that doesn't take long.  ;D

Not to hijack your thread, but I recorded a new one a few hours ago. I cannot for the life of me figure out why I sound so flat - Dave said I sounded better singing it over the cellphone, lol.

Ant

Written By: jreuben on 02/25/08 at 9:44 am

I've used MusicMaker as well, and was pretty happy with it (have since moved on to a Mac and Logic Express).

Written By: Matthias on 02/26/08 at 1:40 pm

I just downloaded two more backing tracks from Karaoke Version... One of them was "If I Were A Rich Man" (Fiddler On The Roof) so I can soon record, "If I Were A Redneck". The other one I downloaded came as a bit of a shock to me but since I found it, and I like the parody I wrote for it I also downloaded "Monday Morning Church" (Alan Jackson) so I can record "Tall And Frightening Lurch".

I'm starting to think that my recordings are as wacky as the parodies themselves as far as the music selection...

1. (Corny Guitar Noodling Folk): "Scrambler Fan"
2. (Hair Metal): "The Living Teddy Bear"
3. (90's Michael Jackson Pop): "Men In Black"
4. (Sappy Twangy Country): "Tall And Frightening Lurch"
5. (Y2K British Pop): "Damn Kitten"
6. (Epic Country Ballad): "Uneasy Writer"

(And that's not even talking about the topics which are spread all over the board... Movies, Television, Amusement Parks, Toys, and White Trash Jokes)

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/26/08 at 2:37 pm

I wonder how you would fare as a rapper...keep it up!

Written By: Matthias on 02/26/08 at 2:43 pm

I wonder how you would fare as a rapper...keep it up!

I'm far from that point.... Although Tone Loc could be possible or maybe even The Beastie Boys

Written By: Jack Wilson on 03/03/08 at 8:07 pm

I'm listening to it now, awesome job.

Subject: Re: Matthias's Third Recording!!!

Written By: Matthias on 03/15/08 at 3:20 pm

"Do You Really Want To Burn Me" a parody of The Culture Club's "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?" has been completed.
I actually think that this one is the best that I've done so far, I did this while I was down in Tampa, and I think I did a pretty kickin' job on it.
Except for the whole "Doo-Doo" misheard lyrics thing...

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6362766

Written By: jreuben on 03/15/08 at 3:44 pm

It is your best so far, and the beginning was kind of surreal  :) There were a few spots in the song where I thought you were off key, but then you got yourself back on-key.  I think this happened a few times where the pitch of the OS jumped, and you stayed about the same, but in doing so, you got back on key (a good thing).  Overall I thought you got stronger (both in singing and pitch) as the song went on.  So I thought this was a nice step forward.  Output levels complimented each other well, etc.  Nice job, keep it up!

"Do You Really Want To Burn Me" a parody of The Culture Club's "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?" has been completed.
I actually think that this one is the best that I've done so far, I did this while I was down in Tampa, and I think I did a pretty kickin' job on it.

Written By: Matthias on 04/20/08 at 11:32 pm

My parody of "Paint It Black" from the Artistry Round is finally recorded (Not as good as "Do You Really Want To Burn Me", but that's because my song goes faster than my vocals)

Titanic
http://www.badave.com/parodies/parody.php?st=164

http://www.partyusa.com/images/titanic4.jpg

Subject: Re: Matthias's Fourth Recording!!!

Written By: Matthias on 04/21/08 at 9:40 am

If anyone knows how to install a sound card into a laptop let me know, because I'm looking for a sound card that has "What you hear" mode (As long as it's not too outrageously expensive)

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/21/08 at 5:01 pm

I think you are starting to train yourself to hear the melody and are adjusting as needed. Keep it up! (it's hard to believe sometimes that you are 19--you really sound like some 40-year old goofball--which is not intended as an insult, by the way. :) )

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/21/08 at 5:05 pm

My parody of "Paint It Black" from the Artistry Round is finally recorded (Not as good as "Do You Really Want To Burn Me", but that's because my song goes faster than my vocals)

Titanic
http://www.badave.com/parodies/parody.php?st=164

http://www.partyusa.com/images/titanic4.jpg

This is the best yet, really. You kept the vocal styling consistent where you had to compensate ...but that coda, with the short phrases, was definitely hard for you to keep up with the rhythms

Subject: Re: Matthias's Fifth-ish Recording!!!

Written By: Below Average Dave on 06/17/08 at 12:36 am

While the vocals are too loud, and the backing track is too quiet... I'm quite proud of it

So come take a gander and a listen to: "Scrambler Fan"
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=665908&content=songinfo&songID=6261486

Subject: Re: Matthias's Fifth-ish Recording!!!

Written By: Matthias on 06/17/08 at 12:39 am

New Parody... AEROSMITH!!! (Kinda quiet... But it still rocks!)

http://www.coffeeterms.com/images/carbony.jpg

http://www.badave.com/parodies/parody.php?st=184

Subject: Re: Matthias Recordings

Written By: Matthias on 01/14/09 at 1:47 pm

I've got another parody done today, and I have to say that it's actually one of the best that I've ever done. It sounds actually good, which isn't a term that I would ever use to describe my work, but this one actually does.

"Crepe" to Radiohead's "Creep" is coming Friday

http://www.blogto.com/listings/cafes/upload/2007/11/20071130-crepe1.jpg

Written By: Matthias on 08/10/10 at 5:04 pm

One that I've been wanting to record since I wrote it (about 2 years ago) is finally done... Well going through editing with reverb and sound effects and all that Jazz. It actually sounds pretty good as is but Dave said that he'll help me out with some stuff that I don't know how to do...

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/autopia/roadrage.jpg

"Road Rage"

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9511311

I really want to know what people think about this one because I think it's my best ever.

Written By: Matthias on 03/20/12 at 4:50 pm

I haven't recorded anything in about 2 years...

I haven't been a serious recording artist in a very long time... So I'm excited to announce that I'm going to be back in the recording ring.

Not sure what song I'm going to do as a warm-up before I attempt to pull of artists such as Miley Cyrus "See The Dentist", Ke$ha "Rick-Rolled", The Bee Gee's "Stealin' A Pie" or even the almighty talents of Rebecca Black "Friday The 13th"

I'm thinking about going with something easy like Nirvana's "Come As You Are" -> "Jurassic Park" or Owl City's "Fireflies" -> "Pokemon"

Written By: 2nz on 03/28/12 at 3:34 pm

Good to hear it Matt. I'd support it if you wanted to tackle 'Jurassic Park' next. I'd also recommend 'You're My Wingman', and 'The Gamer' for the simplicity of the original song.

I also had a parody idea for you if you're feeling lazy. The title of your 'Be Our Guest' parody, SHE LOVES MEAT, would work well as a parody title to the Beatles 'She Loves You'. For some reason that popped into my head.

Check for new replies or respond here...