inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Parody ideas/Inviting to use fragments/ideas of mine

Written By: Doug Baseball on 04/08/08 at 6:13 pm

I've put a few fragments up that I think could be winners, and I didn't see on the FAQ whether people are allowed to use fragments to make parodies. I used one of mine and decided to expand it - but the others, I have no time for, yet I did come up with some good ideas. So, in case it's not allowed normally, here is written permission to use my ideas, and just some ideas in general for those for whom this is a major hobby:

1. Green blob (to the tune of "Green Door," a song that has not been parodied on this site yet.)

Truthfully, while "Green Door" seems like a fairly easy song (and short), the parody idea is what I think could make for a few good ones.

The green blob, for those who don't know, is the symbol on The Weather Channel for approaching bad weather - usually rain or snow, and sometimes lots of it. Sometimes rain, snow, and sleet all in one!

2. Mice Aroma: I am amazed that nobody has parodied "My Sharona" by using the mondegreen "Mice Armoa," which a lot of people have misheard it as. As I show in my fragment, the concept could be quite funny - wherever you smell it. but, especially in aa restaurant. Ripe for exaggeration, jokes about sausage,  :) etc.

3. I'm amazed, for how hard they are, how many people have conquered the biggies; "American Pie, "Edmund Fitzgerald," etc.." It's the Pie I post a fragment to, and I'm a bit surprised there aren't many more of those.

I think "Because "Ol' Paul Revere's Ride" could be a great history one. Sadly, I can't think of much beyond what I submitted as a fragment, but you cuold have the first verse Britain emerging as a colonial power, the 2nd American Independence and the War of 1812 (part of the chorus - Gen'ral Jackson led the action/Yanks' loss became a tie - and yes, as an American, I readily admit that we lost till New Orleans at least let us get a tie out of the treaty), and so on. then, the last verse (the one that starts "there we were all...") can be about the 2 world wars, with an ironic twist at the end, showing the British are thankful because in World War Two "The Yanks just saved our hide."  :) And then, of course, the closing.

Yes, I know, I have a cool idea there, but as I've said, no time to do it. That, however, would make a great parody for someone else.

I won't have much time to come here, but I did want to come on and invite people to use my fragments. I love this site, and i wish I had time for a lot of them, but I've got actual books I'm doing, or at least one, so I won't really have time to do a lot. I may do a few, but it could be weeks or months before I do another, and I didn't want these to die on the vine. I am the type who, if I were to start on something, would think about it and focus on it till it was finished, and that's not good when I have so much else to do.

Subject: Re: Parody ideas/Inviting to use fragments/ideas of mine

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/09/08 at 10:09 am

"Mice Aroma" could be a Ratatouille-themed parody (although I've done that myself :))

Hey Doug, I'll take quality over quantity any day, and there is nothing wrong with popping in here every once in a while instead of daily--it shows that you have a life :D. If you have the time to spare, send in a full parody. (once you do, you'll never go back again! ;) )

Subject: Re: Parody ideas/Inviting to use fragments/ideas of mine

Written By: Matthias on 04/09/08 at 10:12 am

Who is "Green Door" by? I don't think I've ever heard that song before.

Check for new replies or respond here...