inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Need help with proverb

Written By: K1chyd on 04/26/08 at 12:23 pm

I'm looking for an english equivalent to a swedish proverb about making up for lost money on item A by getting as much in on item B, over here it goes approximately like this; what the circus looses on the swings it gets back on the merry-go-round". Does this ring any bells for someone?

Subject: Re: Need help with proverb

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/26/08 at 2:28 pm

I'm looking for an english equivalent to a swedish proverb about making up for lost money on item A by getting as much in on item B, over here it goes approximately like this; what the circus looses on the swings it gets back on the merry-go-round". Does this ring any bells for someone?

I get the meaning, and I know there must be an English equivalent.  It's describing what marketing people here call a loss leader.  I wonder if searching for loss leader proverbs might turn something up.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/08 at 4:38 pm

"What one loses on the swings one gains on the roundabouts." ?

Written By: philbo on 04/26/08 at 4:40 pm

As t'other Philip says: Swings and roundabouts... what you lose on the swings, you gain on the roundabout.

(Or the Marillion lyric: "I'm losing on the swings, I'm losing on the roundabouts")

Written By: K1chyd on 04/27/08 at 7:37 am

My dictionary says that roundabouts are basically the same thing as merry-go-rounds, so I conclude that the swedish version is basically a transition of the english proverb and that I was darn closer than I thought from the start. Thanks for helping me out!  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/27/08 at 7:39 am

My dictionary says that roundabouts are basically the same thing as merry-go-rounds, so I conclude that the swedish version is basically a transition of the english proverb and that I was darn closer than I thought from the start. Thanks for helping me out!  :)
No problem and I hope it is useful for you.

Check for new replies or respond here...