inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A new type of Parody

Written By: Tenacious Lee on 05/31/08 at 3:55 am

Hello guys, I am Tenacious Lee and I have submitted a few parodies into AmIRight, altough i stopped for a few months. I have just started again. I had a new idea which I don't know if it has been done or not or is something completely different to a parody.

Okay, So here it goes, My idea was for just one song to be, lets say 4 different sections of songs. So it would be like this.

Song - verse 1 & 2 from Song 1
          chorus from Song 2
        verse 3 & 4 from song 3
          chorus & verse from song 4.

Has this been done before?

Hopefully I will have an example of this in the folllowing days.

Subject: Re: A new type of Parody

Written By: EthanM on 05/31/08 at 9:18 am

I don't think that it's been done before, but I also don't think that it complies with site rules. You're supposed to parody a whole song, and doing several at once seems quite confusing.

Written By: jreuben on 06/02/08 at 11:22 am

I've never done what you said TL, but I did do a medley of songs in the same submission. 

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/02/08 at 11:42 am

Ethan's right...I woulnd't be doing a "medley" here unless it was previously recorded medley, such as one of Weird Al's polka mashups, or something like this:  ;)
http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/moulinrougesoundtrack1.shtml

Tokusu Sentai Blessranger has done things like this a number of times, but he's been asked not to do them anymore.

I wouldn't submit them as Amiright parodies...post what you come up with here.

Written By: philbo on 06/02/08 at 12:04 pm

Billy Connolly's "In The Brownies" was a bit like that: it used the verse structure from YMCA, but the chorus from "In The Navy".

Written By: EthanM on 06/02/08 at 3:11 pm

Weird Al's used multiple originals in parodies - the flintstones and brady bunch songs come to mind - but to pull something like that off you need musical composition skills to transition between different songs and you can't demonstrate that here.

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/02/08 at 5:07 pm

Weird Al's used multiple originals in parodies - the flintstones and brady bunch songs come to mind - but to pull something like that off you need musical composition skills to transition between different songs and you can't demonstrate that here.

The Plumbing Song, All About The Pentiums, and Bedrock Anthem, for those who care.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 06/03/08 at 3:22 am

The Plumbing Song, All About The Pentiums, and Bedrock Anthem, for those who care.

Actually, It's All ABout The Pentiums was just one song (It's All About The Benjamins (Rock Remix) by Puff Daddy (at the time)). But the other two you got right.

But yeah, as said, that kinda thing doesn't comply with AmiRight rules, but if the OS was a medley or mashup, go ahead. And again, post what you got here.

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/03/08 at 8:00 am

Actually, It's All ABout The Pentiums was just one song (It's All About The Benjamins (Rock Remix) by Puff Daddy (at the time)). 

It does contain an interpolation of "I Did It For Love" by the Love Unlimited Orchestra , so that's why I included it. (see the composer credits). But I now guess that was P. Diddy's doing, not Al's.

Written By: jreuben on 06/03/08 at 8:50 am

I think Chris Bodily did some mashups on here as well.

Check for new replies or respond here...