inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Short breath dilemma

Written By: K1chyd on 06/05/08 at 12:32 am

Hi, I'm stuck on trying to come up with a two syllable word to complete this list:

"pant, puff, gasp, /........../"

The best I have so far is a stretched out "wheeeeze" but I think I would prefer a real two syllable word, if it paces with "music" it's all the better but at this point I'll definitelly settle for syllable math match.

I have also contemplated "pant, puff, gasp, wheezes" but I think the change to plural form on the last word takes something away from the onomatopoetic form of the list/line.

Any suggestions?

Subject: Re: Short breath dilemma

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/05/08 at 8:01 am

Maybe your singer has caught his breath by that point, and simply reacts with, "Oh my" or "My gosh".

Written By: McKludge on 06/05/08 at 8:04 am

Hi, I'm stuck on trying to come up with a two syllable word to complete this list:

"pant, puff, gasp, /........../"

The best I have so far is a stretched out "wheeeeze" but I think I would prefer a real two syllable word, if it paces with "music" it's all the better but at this point I'll definitelly settle for syllable math match.

I have also contemplated "pant, puff, gasp, wheezes" but I think the change to plural form on the last word takes something away from the onomatopoetic form of the list/line.

Any suggestions?

It depends on the context of your parody.

If you are trying to convey the image of a guy so out of breath that he might pass out, then why not have him pass out and use words like "erk - thud" or a "hack - cough" If not, then maybe "can't breathe" of "no breath"  It's not one word, but it's two syllables.  perhaps "breathless"  maybe "asthma" (good luck rhyming that one)

Perhaps "inhale" or "exhale" or the technically correct but rarely used "respire"

Written By: Rex on 06/05/08 at 8:11 am

Does it have to be a two syllable word? What about two words, like "suck air"?

Written By: philbo on 06/05/08 at 10:32 am

Howsabout sniffle or snuffle?

If not quite wheezy enough, make up one like "huffle" or "puffle"

Written By: K1chyd on 06/05/08 at 12:36 pm

Maybe your singer has caught his breath by that point, and simply reacts with, "Oh my" or "My gosh".

Thanks for the suggestion but it's not really what I had in mind.

It depends on the context of your parody.

If you are trying to convey the image of a guy so out of breath that he might pass out, then why not have him pass out and use words like "erk - thud" or a "hack - cough" If not, then maybe "can't breathe" of "no breath"  It's not one word, but it's two syllables.  perhaps "breathless"  maybe "asthma" (good luck rhyming that one)...

"Best Ma"? :-)

Hack is a good substitute for the other three, and the context is exactly what you've guessed, but it's a repeated line so with that direction I'll have a new dilemma; how can a guy who has passed out continue to sing? :-P

Does it have to be a two syllable word? What about two words, like "suck air"?

If possible I'll probably make the whole line(s) onomatopoetic, so no, but thanks for the suggestion.

Howsabout sniffle or snuffle?

If not quite wheezy enough, make up one like "huffle" or "puffle"

*Goes away to look 'em up* Snuffle is good I think. :-) Also found rattle today, but it's a "harder" word and it has to many other meanings I think.

Written By: K1chyd on 06/06/08 at 3:25 am

Having pulled a half nighter I just submitted "*Wheeze* *Puff* *Pant* *Snuffle*" to the tune "Sex, Love, Dance, Music" by Skew Siskin. I wish I could have come up with a longer and better known song for this, it's been a bit of a pet project twisting in the back burner of my mind since the last injury hiatus earlier this year, but I like the original song. Not yet to be found on YouTube I'll have to use my old DKTOS page to supply it for ya for a couple of days: http://k1chyd.adress.eksjo.com/dktos/

Written By: philbo on 06/09/08 at 9:24 am

Cool.. will have a look when I'm home (DKTOS, and don't want to play it while I'm at work ;))

Check for new replies or respond here...