inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Date: Thursday 26th June; Place: The Flint Cottage, High Wycombe

Written By: philbo on 06/20/08 at 10:08 am

Every other Thursday, I play a few songs at an open mike night at the Flint Cottage opposite High Wycombe railway station. The reason it's every other Thursday is that the alternate weeks they have a band playing, usually one of the open mike regulars.

This Thursday, it's going to be.. well, me. That is, instead of being one of half-a-dozen or more acts, I'll be on my own (or maybe with a bit of a backing band for some songs) for an hour or more. If anyone's around and fancies a laugh, I'm sure you'll find something to laugh at within a repertoire of Tom Lehrer, Kevin Bloody Wilson, Ivor Biggun.. and, of course, some of my own stuff.

Come to think of it, it's only just over half an hour from Marylebone (and right next to Wycombe station), so any Londoners that feel like coming along..  why not?  Unfortunately your Oyster card won't work all the way to Wycombe.

Wish me luck :)

Subject: Re: Date: Thursday 26th June; Place: The Flint Cottage, High Wycombe

Written By: Matthias on 06/26/08 at 5:16 pm

Every other Thursday, I play a few songs at an open mike night at the Flint Cottage opposite High Wycombe railway station. The reason it's every other Thursday is that the alternate weeks they have a band playing, usually one of the open mike regulars.

This Thursday, it's going to be.. well, me. That is, instead of being one of half-a-dozen or more acts, I'll be on my own (or maybe with a bit of a backing band for some songs) for an hour or more. If anyone's around and fancies a laugh, I'm sure you'll find something to laugh at within a repertoire of Tom Lehrer, Kevin Bloody Wilson, Ivor Biggun.. and, of course, some of my own stuff.

Come to think of it, it's only just over half an hour from Marylebone (and right next to Wycombe station), so any Londoners that feel like coming along..  why not?  Unfortunately your Oyster card won't work all the way to Wycombe.

Wish me luck :)

I wish I could, but London is quite a drive for me.

Written By: Red Ant on 06/26/08 at 5:52 pm

I wish I could, but London is quite a drive for me.

And there's a big, unpaved ocean in the way as well.

How did your performance go, Phil?

Ant

Written By: Matthias on 06/26/08 at 5:58 pm

And there's a big, unpaved ocean in the way as well.

How did your performance go, Phil?

Ant

Yeah, That pesky thing gets in the way far too often.

Written By: philbo on 06/27/08 at 7:22 am

According to google maps routefinding, you can swim...

It went very well, thanks - I played the occasional Kevin Bloody Wilson/Ivor Biggun song, one Tom Lehrer but mainly my parodies & a few originals.. first set was just over an hour, and had the whole place paying attention the whole way through (not bad, since the last half hour of the Euro semis was on), and laughing in just the right places.

A few songs had their first outings in public - The M25, BJ, Diarrhoea Streaming (I was surprised at the reaction to that - I've never heard a place erupt in laughter in quite the same way before).

And they even laughed at my jokes :)

Check for new replies or respond here...