inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Start of a new era?

Written By: philbo on 08/04/08 at 11:39 am

On Saturday, I played as the support act for Roaring Meg... have to admit that it wasn't my best performance (although it did seem to go down pretty well), but... for the first time, I got paid.  I could get used to it, given the chance.

:)

...or even  :D

Subject: Re: Start of a new era?

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/04/08 at 12:42 pm

How about  8) ... that's a level many of us aspire to, Phil! Way to go!

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/04/08 at 6:22 pm

On Saturday, I played as the support act for Roaring Meg... have to admit that it wasn't my best performance (although it did seem to go down pretty well), but... for the first time, I got paid.  I could get used to it, given the chance.

:)

...or even  :D

BRAVO PHILBO!  :)  :D  ;D

Written By: McKludge on 08/04/08 at 9:54 pm

for the first time, I got paid.  I could get used to it, given the chance.

Yeah, there's something nice about getting paid to play music.  It's a hell of a way to make a career, and I'd never try to do that (mostly because I ain't that good), but when someone asks you to play their party for a couple hundred bucks, it's quite the ego boost.

Written By: philbo on 08/05/08 at 11:22 am

Thanks, McK, JD & Simon ;)

With a bit of luck I'll have some recordings coming: I really hope the chap caught "Get so ugly overnight", as that one worked far better in performance than on the page, IMO.

I've also been told I should do entertainments for corporates, after playing to some friends a while back.  But I've never been exactly sure how to go about advertising myself in that arena.  It'd give a bit more cash than pub support acts...

PS McKludge, have to say that I'm seriously impressed by your topia.. er.. hairdresser.

Written By: McKludge on 08/05/08 at 11:57 am

PS McKludge, have to say that I'm seriously impressed by your topia.. er.. hairdresser.

That was my halloween costume from a couple years back.  I went as Sideshow Bob.

Written By: K1chyd on 08/05/08 at 1:14 pm

That was my halloween costume from a couple years back. I went as Sideshow Bob.

I've heard he's the brother of Baghdad Bob, but then again they would probably both deny that!

Written By: K1chyd on 08/05/08 at 1:23 pm

On Saturday, I played as the support act for Roaring Meg... have to admit that it wasn't my best performance (although it did seem to go down pretty well), but... for the first time, I got paid.

http://freespace.virgin.net/ian.newman/Roaring%20Splash.png

If that picture is anything like the real Meg... I'd say I wouldn't mind a chance to grab at her chest myself...

Written By: McKludge on 08/05/08 at 8:38 pm

http://freespace.virgin.net/ian.newman/Roaring%20Splash.png

If that picture is anything like the real Meg... I'd say I wouldn't mind a chance to grab at her chest myself...

Heh, that looks like a lawsuit from Captain Morgan in the making  ;)

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/05/08 at 11:01 pm

Congrats Buddy. .  .and to think it was all just a dream  ;)

Written By: philbo on 08/06/08 at 8:22 am

Heh, that looks like a lawsuit from Captain Morgan in the making  ;)

No chance... just 'cause it's a pirate in a red coat - wrong sex, no dragon on shoulder, and the chest is in a different league ;)

I've been asked if I'd like to support 'em again, so I guess they much have enjoyed it, too.. possibly rehearsing (???) a couple of numbers together - we did a fairly spontaneous "I love Rock n Roll" parody on the night.  Have to think of another rocky number that might work...

Check for new replies or respond here...