inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Genres of music you Love/Hate to parody

Written By: Matthias on 10/04/08 at 12:41 am

Some genres of music just come naturally for parodists to parody.
Whether it be disco, rock, punk, ballad, R&B, or whatever....

What is your personal favorite favorite and least favorite genre to parody?

Also what genres of music would you like to see more parodies of?

Subject: Re: Genres of music you Love/Hate to parody

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/06/08 at 9:47 am

Grungy, emo-esque "alternative" rock is so barely listenable, and their determinedly uncatchy lyrics--if I should use the word-- defy easy substitution.(Incubus, Fuel come to mind here)

But that being said, I've specialized in stuff that most assuredly ISN'T emo-rock, but still would be deemed barely listenable by some, with sometimes determinedly uncatchy lyrics. But the difference being, I think, is an actual sense of humor to these works. All things to all people, I suppose. ???

Rap is a total bee-yotch, especially where a wordsmith like Eminem is concerned.

I don't really have a preferred genre. Either I get a brainstorm for a particular tune, or I get assigned a tune that I have to work with from scratch (which is much harder to do!)

Written By: Red Ant on 10/07/08 at 7:00 pm

Favorite genre to listen to is grunge, so a lot of my parodies are of it.

Favorite genre to parody isn't really a genre, more a description: bad music. I love making parodies of overplayed, overrated or downright bad songs.

Least favorite to parody and listen to is disco.

Ant

Written By: EthanM on 10/07/08 at 7:17 pm

Rap is extremely tough, eminem especially, but it also feels the most rewarding when done right

Bad/overplayed/overrated songs are the best ones to parody for a general audience (amiright isn't really general) especially because any current hits or omnipresent older songs tend to fit at least two of the three.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/07/08 at 9:09 pm

Grunge, progressive and hard rock are obviously on the list of my favs to parody.

I haven't really done any genres that I dislike, but Breakaway and Electric Avenue felt more like a chore to do.

I need to get to writing more of my ideas, although I do have a couple of quickies I could submit, but their not as good... But I'll submit them when I write and submit some of my other ones.

Written By: philbo on 10/20/08 at 10:27 am

Favourite genres to parody.. not really a genre, but anything with a good, ideally fairly intricate lyric: G&S comes high on the list.

Least favourite genres: mind-numbingly repetitive garbage of any form.

PS Don't know what it is at the moment, but I'm finding it very hard to finish off parodies.  I currently have nearly 100 half-to-nearly-done.  :(

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/20/08 at 12:15 pm

PS Don't know what it is at the moment, but I'm finding it very hard to finish off parodies.  I currently have nearly 100 half-to-nearly-done.  :(

Man, I rarely, if ever, have half-completed stuff. I get a real itchy feeling if I can't finish something. ;)

Written By: EmiLoca on 10/20/08 at 12:28 pm

Love
Broadway/Musical Theatre.  Especially the ones with tangible lift, climax, and resolution - these make for wonderfully ironic lyrics if you can fit them.

HATE
Anything with a guitar solo or 5-minute instrumental interlude.
Idiot rap (i.e. Soulja Boy, Lil' Jon).
Electronica.  Four words on repeat for seven minutes does not a parody make.
American Pie.

Written By: philbo on 10/21/08 at 10:11 am

Man, I rarely, if ever, have half-completed stuff. I get a real itchy feeling if I can't finish something. ;)

I know the feeling that you mean.. but I find that when I finish stuff off in a hurry, I usually regret it (like, I think of a better line a few minutes after hitting the "Submit" button)

Written By: Step-chan on 10/23/08 at 3:08 pm

That reminds me, I have a Step-chan theme idea for a Nirvana song. I need to improv and write it soon.

Written By: Matthias on 10/23/08 at 3:14 pm

I never did answer my own question...

LOVE: Songs that are challanging, because when you pull them off and people see all of the time and effort that went into writing something that challanging and you're still able to let your humor shine, and it's actually more fun when the rhyme schemes aren't simple, anything that leaves people astounded makes me happy.
Songs I've done that what I'm talking about qualifies under include: "Dope", "Great Scam Artist", "Baby Can't Rap", "Neat Freak", "Jungle Cruise", and "Uneasy Writer"...

Also unsual songs (or hardly ever parodied songs) that are catchy with a good beat that as soon as one person hears it it's sure to catch on and everybody's going to start parodying it. I mean "Be Our Guest" wasn't always a popular song, I like being the force behind a wave of parodies... I've haven't had that honor yet, but I like taking on songs that other people don't know about or are too afraid to tackle.

Songs I hate to parody are really short and simple songs like TV theme songs, or Beatles songs, or songs that don't have a lot of substance, because in those kinds of songs every line has to be a killer line, because there are no lines that let you go off easy in such short songs. Knowwhatimean?

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/24/08 at 8:13 am

Songs I hate to parody are really short and simple songs like TV theme songs, or Beatles songs, or songs that don't have a lot of substance, because in those kinds of songs every line has to be a killer line, because there are no lines that let you go off easy in such short songs. Knowwhatimean?

That's pretty true of country music, too.

Written By: Matthias on 10/24/08 at 1:55 pm

That's pretty true of country music, too.

That's not true... Country music may suck to listen to, but those songs do have lyrics

Techno, however, does not really have any lyrics to base a parody on.... That's a hard genre of music to parody.

Check for new replies or respond here...