inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: All Hail My Stealth Parody Skills

Written By: EthanM on 11/19/08 at 11:16 pm

If your parody submissions were spies, they would get caught and mine would not. You probably couldn't dodge the radar like me if you tried, and I'm not even trying to get ignored. An incomprehensible parody about someone named Jason standing up got more attention that mine did today.

This accomplishment doesn't actually offer me a quantum of solace. What does it say about my self-judging abilities when I think I have arguably the best written parody of the day to a well-known recent hit song and nobody bothers to give me any feedback? Or is it more about my own policy of not commenting when I don't really have anything to say?

Subject: Re: All Hail My Stealth Parody Skills

Written By: karen on 11/19/08 at 11:23 pm

This accomplishment doesn't actually offer me a quantum of solace. What does it say about my self-judging abilities when I think I have arguably the best written parody of the day to a well-known recent hit song and nobody bothers to give me any feedback? Or is it more about my own policy of not commenting when I don't really have anything to say?

As has been said before recent hits very often don't cut it here.  They haven't had time to soak into the sub-conciousness yet.  So the casual observer isn't likely to look at a parody to a song they don't 'know' (actually I've never heard of the song or group to my knowledge though I might recognise it if I heard it)

Written By: EthanM on 11/20/08 at 8:41 am

You've almost certainly heard Daughtry before. If you saw American Idol a couple of years ago Chris Daughtry was the one who most people thougt was going to win over Taylor Hicks but he got fourth but started a really successful band anyway, and if you didn't they've been all over all sorts of radio over the past couple of years and the one I used was released as a single about a year ago. And it's not just this one but a persistent problem over the past couple of weeks that extended beyond parodies of songs from the past couple of years, but at least someone noticed it while I was asleep and gave it a good review :)

Written By: karen on 11/20/08 at 9:18 am

You've almost certainly heard Daughtry before. If you saw American Idol a couple of years ago Chris Daughtry was the one who most people thougt was going to win over Taylor Hicks but he got fourth but started a really successful band anyway, and if you didn't they've been all over all sorts of radio over the past couple of years and the one I used was released as a single about a year ago. And it's not just this one but a persistent problem over the past couple of weeks that extended beyond parodies of songs from the past couple of years, but at least someone noticed it while I was asleep and gave it a good review :)

So I didn't see American Idol a couple of years ago because it isn't actually broacast outside the US.

I still think it comes down to people (in general) being more familiar with older songs so that they can sing along in their head when they read a parody.

There is perhaps a problem that you don't comment on every parody you read/vote on so some people here will either not know who you are or will think "Sod him, he's a miserable git who never reads my stuff"

Written By: EthanM on 11/20/08 at 9:34 am

Yeah, Daughtry is more popular in the USA than anywhere else by far, and the song I used didn't make the british charts at all. I definitely should've made some comments yesterday on other people's parodies.

Check for new replies or respond here...