inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: We lost one of our own

Written By: DoRitos on 11/22/08 at 6:43 pm

Royce Miller  - June 9, 1957 - November 18, 2008.  Royce went through some really rough times in the last 22 1/2 months.  I am going to miss her greatly.  She was very nearly killed in early January 2007 from a gun shot wound to her back.  She had nerve damage and was working on getting as much use of her lower extremities as possible that she lost as a direct result of the wound to her lower back.  She fought hard but the war was lost to her last Tuesday, on Nov. 18. 2008.  Her funeral was today, 22 Nov 2008 at 11:00AM PST in the central part of Washington State where she was living with her older sister Lynette.  I wrote a memorial parody to her on Amiright.  Here is the link:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/georgejones4.shtml

Condolences can be sent to her sister at the following address:

Lynette Bebereia
4325 William Ave.
Moses Lake, WA. 98837

Subject: Re: We lost one of our own

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/22/08 at 6:52 pm

Woah!!!!  :o  I haven't been paying attention to AmIRight for a long time so this is a major surprise :(  R.I.P. :(

Written By: karen on 11/22/08 at 9:05 pm

I don't think many here realised that this had happened

Written By: Below Average Dave on 11/22/08 at 9:14 pm

Oh wow, I have read some of her stuff from my research of the history on AmIRight. . .what a sad loss. . .she's a historically prolific writer, I'll come up with something in the way of condolences.

Written By: John Jenkins on 11/22/08 at 9:35 pm

Guy, thank you for the sensitive way you helped make us all aware of this sad event.  By my calendar, her entrance into the life eternal came much too soon; but, by God's calendar, the timing was right.  Also, Guy, thank you for being a friend to Royce and to me.

John

Written By: Peregrin on 11/23/08 at 2:03 am

That is very sad news.  I loved reading Royce's parodies.  To hear of her injuries and her long battle and her passing makes me very upset.

Thank you Guy, for the lovely tribute you wrote.  It would have meant the world to Royce.

I had the privilege of corresponding with Royce from time to time during the time when she asked me to co-author a parody with her, and knew her to be be a very thoughtful and intelligent person.

I will miss her.  :\'(

Written By: nally on 11/23/08 at 5:14 pm

I remember this person...but I wasn't sure if I commented on any of her parodies or not. I might've read a few early ones though.

This comes as somewhat of a shock to me; I think I had heard a while back that she was going thru some tough times. But it's sad when you lose a member of your online community. :\'(

I will check out that parody link that you posted...even though I probably DKTOS.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 11/24/08 at 12:16 am

That is very very sad news, and comes as a shock, Guy.  I'm glad she had your friendship to brighten her last years.  Royce was a very talented writer and some of her syllable-matching was sublime - her writing was also distinguishable by its elegant intelligence and cleverness.

She would love to be remembered through her parodies and we should all read a few of them today as a tribute to her memory and to her contribution to this site and thus to our lives. RIP Royce

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/24/08 at 9:08 am

I turned the front page of amIright black today in tribute. 

She had a great sense of humor and we already missed her when she had to stop contributing due to her problems.  I had hoped she'd get better and be able to join in like she used to, but I guess that can't happen now.  Really sad, I just don't know what to write.

Written By: John Jenkins on 11/24/08 at 9:23 am

I turned the front page of amIright black today in tribute. 

She had a great sense of humor and we already missed her when she had to stop contributing due to her problems.  I had hoped she'd get better and be able to join in like she used to, but I guess that can't happen now.  Really sad, I just don't know what to write.

An appropriate tribute.  Thank you, Chucky.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/24/08 at 9:24 am

It makes your own heart jump when you read news of someone your own age dies like this.

Sorry to hear you are in mourning for someone close to you.

Written By: John Jenkins on 11/24/08 at 9:36 am

I had the privilege of corresponding with Royce from time to time during the time when she asked me to co-author a parody with her, and knew her to be be a very thoughtful and intelligent person.

I once asked Royce, in an e-mail, which of her many parodies were her favorites.  She named 5 or 6, including "Puff, My Ass is Draggin,'" and indicated that she really enjoyed working with you.  Thank you for what you brought to Royce's life and for what you bring to AmIRight.

Written By: jreuben on 11/24/08 at 10:22 am

I also had the privilege of corresponding with Royce directly years ago.  I had no idea she was going through this...very sad news to hear.

Written By: Red Ant on 11/24/08 at 11:05 pm

Thanks for the tribute on AmIRight today Chucky, especially when your family is going through so much now as well. My condolences to you and Susan.

Thanks again, Guy, for the tribute. Like Jeff wrote, I never knew why Royce had taken absence from the site last year - I had no idea.

Ant

Written By: philbo on 11/25/08 at 4:05 am

What everyone else has said.

Royce and I didn't always see eye to eye - I think we probably clashed on most things religious or political - but that never got in the way of a mutual respect.  A sad loss.

Written By: lpg_unit on 11/25/08 at 7:51 pm

Condolences to Royce's family. May The Lord God Bless them...

Written By: Jack Wilson on 11/26/08 at 6:50 pm

Oh wow RIP Royce

Written By: EmiLoca on 11/26/08 at 10:25 pm

This is very sad news - Royce was a terribly talented member of the AmiRight league and a sweetie to boot.

Written By: Peregrin on 11/28/08 at 5:49 am

I once asked Royce, in an e-mail, which of her many parodies were her favorites.  She named 5 or 6, including "Puff, My Ass is Draggin,'" and indicated that she really enjoyed working with you.  Thank you for what you brought to Royce's life and for what you bring to AmIRight.

Thank you, John, for letting me know.  It means a lot to me to have heard that  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 11/28/08 at 6:03 am

http://www.centralmoravianchurch.org/ourchurch/images/candle2.jpg

Written By: Spaff.com on 12/01/08 at 9:09 pm

Sad news. Thanks for letting us know, Guy.

The years in which Royce was most prolific are my favorite years of Amiright. I liked her way of writing from the points of view of inanimate objects - if I haven't already stolen that concept from her, I'm sure I will eventually. Also, she gave me many kind comments on my parodies even though she strongly disagreed with my politics, and that's not something most people are able to do.

RIP, Royce.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: EthanM on 12/01/08 at 9:18 pm

Sad news. Thanks for letting us know, Guy.

The years in which Royce was most prolific are my favorite years of Amiright.  Also, she gave me many kind comments on my parodies even though she strongly disagreed with my politics, and that's not something most people are able to do.

RIP, Royce.

xoxox
Spaff

Ditto that.

I didn't have the history of correspondence with Royce that some others on the site did, but I remember one time several years ago when I was upset about something parody-related and she sent me a really nice PM with the basic idea (as far as I remember) that I shouldn't let the opinions of others get me down because as long as I'm happy with what I've written then it's 100% worth writing. I think that helped me get over my frustration and get back to writing the ridiculous quantities of parodies that I wrote back then.

Written By: STG on 05/12/09 at 8:23 am

OMG, I can see I have been away for a very long time.

Even though time has passed and wounds have healed

RIP
Royce Miller

Check for new replies or respond here...